Thailand Fever

YankeeKid

This posting is not about a disease I caught in Thailand, but it is about a book called Thailand Fever that I just read. it is written by Chris Pirozzi and Vitida Vasant, and the subtitle is "A Road Map for Thai-Western Relationships". Like many books about relationships, it can be a bit simplistic at times, but it had some good information. The interesting thing is that it is written in English on one side of the page and Thai on the other, so people who speak either language can read it (or read it twice if you want).

I assume it is well known in Thailand, and I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has read it and can comment on whether it accurately portrays the difficulties of such relationships.

The best book I have read about Thailand is Bangkok Days by Lawrence Osborne. He is a good writer and really brings the city of Bangkok alive in the book.

If there are other books set in Thailand or about Thailand that anyone can recommend, please let me know. Thanks

A book that is next on my "to read list" is a book called Asia Hands by Christopher G Moore. I've already read about 30 pages of it. Well, I say "already" like its some sort of feat. I've had it for about a month and was pretending to read while spying/perving on people around the pool. :D

Is about a body that was pulled out of Lumpini Park lake by the local police. Vincent Calvino has to work the case and find out who did it. With Thai police politics and back hand bribes etc...should be an interesting read.

Now, I am away from the pool for a few weeks it cold be a book that will get my attention.

A book that is next on my "to read list" is a book called Asia Hands by Christopher G Moore. I've already read about 30 pages of it. Well, I say "already" like its some sort of feat. I've had it for about a month and was pretending to read while spying/perving on people around the pool. :D

Is about a body that was pulled out of Lumpini Park lake by the local police. Vincent Calvino has to work the case and find out who did it. With Thai police politics and back hand bribes etc...should be an interesting read.

Now, I am away from the pool for a few weeks it cold be a book that will get my attention.

Sounds like someone went missing at one of Aomlovely's picnics.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

'Thailand Fever' is one of the better books for the love-sick or love-struck tourist in Thailand, although it does over-simplify and generalize many things. Living here for a decent amount of time, learning the language and having regular Thai friends will open up a whole new world that books cannot ever explain.

Reality is, it is very hard to meet a genuinely good Thai girl who is not cynical, jaded or on the 'game' (short or long game) because most of the good ones don't go where farang here hang out. There are exceptions to this of course.

'Thailand Fever' is one of the better books for the love-sick or love-struck tourist in Thailand, although it does over-simplify and generalize many things. Living here for a decent amount of time, learning the language and having regular Thai friends will open up a whole new world that books cannot ever explain.

Reality is, it is very hard to meet a genuinely good Thai girl who is not cynical, jaded or on the 'game' (short or long game) because most of the good ones don't go where farang here hang out. There are exceptions to this of course.

Thailand Fever is a great book but it's a bit outdated.

I have heard about this book from the girls who are in the relationship with the foreigners. When they don't know how to explain about the Thai culture & tradition to their lovers, they'll let them read it.

Especially before getting married, dowry is not an easy thing to be explained to the guys. A good explanation is needed but at the same time, try not to make them misunderstand that they're going to be ripped off or something like that.

I have heard about this book from the girls who are in the relationship with the foreigners. When they don't know how to explain about the Thai culture & tradition to their lovers, they'll let them read it.

Especially before getting married, dowry is not an easy thing to be explained to the guys. A good explanation is needed but at the same time, try not to make them misunderstand that they're going to be ripped off or something like that.

I agree with PeeMarc >> " most of the good ones don't go where farang here hang out. There are exceptions to this of course."

Actually, what makes the book so good is that it explains farang culture to Thais as well. So she can explain sin sod to her farang boyfriend and he can explain why farangs have a negative view of equating love and money.

That's actually one of the things that rubs me the wrong way from time to time. I have no problem respecting Thai culture and traditions but that means our farang culture should get some understanding and respect as well.

Yes, in Thailand the man is expected to pay sin sod. Fine. In farang culture the family of the bride pay for the wedding and the reception. What?

I agree with PeeMarc >> " most of the good ones don't go where farang here hang out. There are exceptions to this of course."

OK. So where do the "good ones" hang out? I would like to know. ;)

Actually, what makes the book so good is that it explains farang culture to Thais as well. So she can explain sin sod to her farang boyfriend and he can explain why farangs have a negative view of equating love and money.

That's actually one of the things that rubs me the wrong way from time to time. I have no problem respecting Thai culture and traditions but that means our farang culture should get some understanding and respect as well.

Yes, in Thailand the man is expected to pay sin sod. Fine. In farang culture the family of the bride pay for the wedding and the reception. What?

RIGHT! I have been to countless weddings in Thailand.... and I hated every single one of them.

Sorry Thailand, your weddings are boring!

If the guy is paying sin sot he should at least have a decent farang wedding - one with tons of booze, a dancefloor, kids under tables.... oh and some decent food! Stop with those godawful 200 baht a head Chinese buffets.

(I know, I know. You're gonna say that not ALL Thai weddings are like that.... but 100% of my experience has been like that. And all the farang weddings I attended in UK and America were been fun.)

RIGHT! I have been to countless weddings in Thailand.... and I hated every single one of them.

Sorry Thailand, your weddings are boring!

If the guy is paying sin sot he should at least have a decent farang wedding - one with tons of booze, a dancefloor, kids under tables.... oh and some decent food! Stop with those godawful 200 baht a head Chinese buffets.

(I know, I know. You're gonna say that not ALL Thai weddings are like that.... but 100% of my experience has been like that. And all the farang weddings I attended in UK and America were been fun.)

Hey, Mister Grammar..."were been fun?" You're slipping bro...and i am sad.

To Admin >> I understand you point. Practically, what we've done these days is a little different from what in the past.

Even in Thai couples, some of them will have to help each other to save the money and pay everything 50%-50% for a house, sin sod , a party , etc. If the guy can't afford it & the girl doesn't help, how could they have a wedding ceremony,hehe.

But they will still keep "sin sod" as the thing we "must" have in the ceremony, that's all. Many families return that sin sod to the couples after the ceremony.

To BKK_Me >> Nice girls just stay at home and might have to be single forever as they couldn't find any dates,LOL I'm joking :lol:

To English_Bob >> You're right. I also don't think that our wedding party is fun :( but some Chinese buffets are not bad. The one at The Emerald Ratchada is very nice,LOL

To Admin >> I understand you point. Practically, what we've done these days is a little different from what in the past.

Even in Thai couples, some of them will have to help each other to save the money and pay everything 50%-50% for a house, sin sod , a party , etc. If the guy can't afford it & the girl doesn't help, how could they have a wedding ceremony,hehe.

But they will still keep "sin sod" as the thing we "must" have in the ceremony, that's all. Many families return that sin sod to the couples after the ceremony.

To BKK_Me >> Nice girls just stay at home and might have to be single forever as they couldn't find any dates,LOL I'm joking :lol:

To English_Bob >> You're right. I also don't think that our wedding party is fun :( but some Chinese buffets are not bad. The one at The Emerald Ratchada is very nice,LOL

I don't want to get off on a whole thing about sin sod but many families don't return it. Even in Thai weddings. A Thai friend of mine told me how she cleaned out her bank account and so did her parents so her brother could marry some Thai girl. And the family kept it all (about 500,000 baht).

The point I was trying to make though is that if the relationship is truly 50-50 then why is it that many Thais feel that the farang has to do everything according to Thai culture and they don't respect or do anything to accommodate his culture?

For instance, how often do you hear about the importance of family in Thai culture? Yet, 99% of all Thai-farang marriages happen with her never having even met his family. Why? It's only HER family that is important.

sorry this is bollocks !!!!! unless u classify "good girls" as ones who stay virgins until they marry some thai bloke !!!!

who then proceeds to knock 2 or 3 kids out of her and then take up with some 20 year old mia noi !!!! :roll: :roll:

I have to agree with Ciaran, there is no such thing as a "good girl." It's a myth that many farangs have made up to describe any girl not working in the bars. However that doesn't necessarily make them good. I've met more than my fair share of girls who have never stepped foot in a go-go or beer bar who are as dishonest and scheming as your most hardened go-go dancer.

I'm not saying that good girls don't exist but exactly what do you mean by a "good girl"? It's as pointless as trying to segment all farang women into good and bad.

And it's somewhat of a double-edged statement. If good girls don't go where farang hang out then that would automatically imply that none of the women on TF meet your definition of good girls. Ouch.

The best I've seen it summed up is here:

the_Thai_women_matrix.gif

Oh, is it going to be a big fight? I never deliberately look down anyone as I'm not a very good girl as well,hehe

According to the words "There are exceptions to this of course", I think it's clear enough. Maybe the message that I sent goes with the wrong tone so it made somebody misunderstood and upset. Sorry about that.

Geee>> Yes, I have just been active recently :)

Oh, is it going to be a big fight? I never deliberately look down anyone as I'm not a very good girl as well,hehe

According to the words "There are exceptions to this of course". I think it's clear enough :D Maybe the message that I sent going with the wrong sound so it made somebody misunderstood and upset. Sorry about that.

Geee>> Yes, I have just been active recently :)

lol - no-one misunderstood. We just like fighting. Nothing serious.

See you at the party :D