Are you a Christian?

Deester

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets not pretend that hindu and other thoughts including atheist thought dont have their dark side or conflicts.

Some of the most murderous reigns have been under Gods name, whether Islamic,Jew or Christian and Some of the most brutal have been in denial of any belief system.

Khmer rouge, Stalins reign of terror destroyed thousands of church, mosques, temples all over the USSR

Mao's great leap forward project...

Religion doesnt hold the trump card on brutality.

Its nonsense like this..and the medieval clap trap the creationists want to preach that is holding mankind back in the dark ages..

The sooner the world can get over the idea of a ''creator'' and stop arguing over a fairy story the better.....just look at current conflicts and ask yourself what are they arguing about....

BTW....I'm not a Christian..self belief is all you need...

Note: I don't group Bhuddism or Hinduism or Daoism in with the Judeo/Christian/Islamic claptrap...

If not, then what do you believe?

i believe u got a cute butt ... and there's a damm sight more evidence to prove that this is true than there is for christianity !! :twisted:

now we're getting somewhere! this is the kind of thinking that will allow humankind to survive into the next century. get togethr and get busy! (and don't think about it too much. yor damn head'll implode. it's not worth it. the life of a priest? JESUS CHRIST!)

i believe u got a cute butt ... and there's a damm sight more evidence to prove that this is true than there is for christianity !! :twisted:

now we're getting somewhere! this is the kind of thinking that will allow humankind to survive into the next century. get togethr and get busy! (and don't think about it too much. yor damn head'll implode. it's not worth it. the life of a priest? JESUS CHRIST!)

well i happen to think a cute butt is a damm sight more interesting than christianity !!

well i happen to think a cute butt is a damm sight more interesting than christianity !!

and belief in a cute butt can be arrived at through evaluating evidence, and does not require a leap of faith.

therefore, i accept a cute butt as my personal savior.

and belief in a cute butt can be arrived at through evaluating evidence, and does not require a leap of faith.

Guys, i thought we were talking about religion.

....now i can really feel my butt.

i think we just started one.

....now i can really feel my butt.

can i do that .... feel ur butt i mean, NOT talk about religion.

TF is a kind of religion since it's followers believe in it, live within it's realm, is Tom god? Are the mods angels?, is Zeus a prophet? But hear me now for verily I speak the truth...TF is an illusion, it is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth. What truth? That you are slaves. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.

TF is a system. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

I'm trying to free your minds. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

i think we just started one.

if it's going to be a valid religion, a close, personal relationship with the savior is required :-) and some rituals/ceremonies. if they have been performed in the same way for thousands and thousands of years, well that's even better :-D and music, there's gotta be music. and impressive clothing. i always admired Liberace's look, though i admit it may not be right for me :-S so, uh, when we start with the Holy Rollin'?

Well, I can say that I used to be a serious Christian. But as I began to learn about and develop an appreciation of psychology I came to see Christianity, all it's teachings and the way it is used as nothing more than so much psychology, a way to understand and control what we think. It is an organized system of thought. I consider all other religions to be the same. I see that there is much value to be gained from every relation in the form of values and guidance for how to live ones life that can lead to a happy and productive live. There can also be aspects of Christianity and other religions that can have the opposite effect, causing some people to live unhappy and destructive lives. And of course no life is totally one way or the other.

As for a spiritual after life or the existence of spiritual beings, the existence of God, there has never been any kind of solid evidence of this. There have only ever been observations made by people that caused them to believe this as a means of explaining what they think they saw or experienced. But our minds are very complex and are capable of some pretty amazing things. I don't say that these things don't exist. I just don't believe that I have any sure way of knowing that they do until after death. Sometimes it certainly seems that there is more than the physical world.

As for how we came to be here, there is a lot of evidence for evolution. We can see it occurring now and human beings can have some considerable control over its current progress. Many of the specific ideas about how evolution has progressed that have been very widely accepted for many years have turned out to be false. Carbon 14 dating on which the science has depended a great deal has been shown again and again to be highly inaccurate. However, evolution is a viable explanation for much of the life on earth today. I think it is best to admit that there is so much that we don't really know. We have ideas, guess about exactly how we came to be here, but that is all.

As for there being an ultimate justice, consequence and reward, in nature and the universe, I don't believe it. The very ideas of right and wrong are only human ideas, so the only justice is that which humans can effect by our knowledge and conscience. But in the big picture we don't have much power over this, those who do have power generally take care of themselves and those close to them and they don't seek justice, they seek advantage. Laws and the legal system do not create justice they create advantage for those who manage to work with them effectively. In the big picture nature or God if there is such a being is totally indifferent to pain and suffering, and the using of one creature by another, or one human by another. The only thing we have is our conscience and what we require to feel good about ourselves. This is what makes us human.

Well, I can say that I used to be a serious Christian. But as I began to learn about and develop an appreciation of psychology I came to see Christianity, all it's teachings and the way it is used as nothing more than so much psychology, a way to understand and control what we think. It is an organized system of thought. I consider all other religions to be the same. I see that there is much value to be gained from every relation in the form of values and guidance for how to live ones life that can lead to a happy and productive live. There can also be aspects of Christianity and other religions that can have the opposite effect, causing some people to live unhappy and destructive lives. And of course no life is totally one way or the other.

As for a spiritual after life or the existence of spiritual beings, the existence of God, there has never been any kind of solid evidence of this. There have only ever been observations made by people that caused them to believe this as a means of explaining what they think they saw or experienced. But our minds are very complex and are capable of some pretty amazing things. I don't say that these things don't exist. I just don't believe that I have any sure way of knowing that they do until after death. Sometimes it certainly seems that there is more than the physical world.

As for how we came to be here, there is a lot of evidence for evolution. We can see it occurring now and human beings can have some considerable control over its current progress. Many of the specific ideas about how evolution has progressed that have been very widely accepted for many years have turned out to be false. Carbon 14 dating on which the science has depended a great deal has been shown again and again to be highly inaccurate. However, evolution is a viable explanation for much of the life on earth today. I think it is best to admit that there is so much that we don't really know. We have ideas, guess about exactly how we came to be here, but that is all.

As for there being an ultimate justice, consequence and reward, in nature and the universe, I don't believe it. The very ideas of right and wrong are only human ideas, so the only justice is that which humans can effect by our knowledge and conscience. But in the big picture we don't have much power over this, those who do have power generally take care of themselves and those close to them and they don't seek justice, they seek advantage. Laws and the legal system do not create justice they create advantage for those who manage to work with them effectively. In the big picture nature or God if there is such a being is totally indifferent to pain and suffering, and the using of one creature by another, or one human by another. The only thing we have is our conscience and what we require to feel good about ourselves. This is what makes us human.

so what the hell has all that got to do with Deester's (our saviour) cute butt !!!

The New Testament (and Old) was created by men from stories handed down over centuries. It was also edited by men (Council of Nicea). Since man is basically corrupt and self serving, it stands to reason that that the Bible has a fair bit of fiction it.

Personally, I believe in a Creator (God?) and also believe that Jesus the Prophet existed. Is he son of God? I have my doubts.

Therefore, in answer to your question, I am not Christian but I do believe in God. Howzat?

I must say that though the Da Vinci Code was only fiction, it certainly started me thinking. I suppose also that the recent years of "religious" warfare has also got me thinking more about religion. Perhaps you posed the original question because you too are taking more interest as well?

the impression i get from the gospels (which are very far from first-hand accounts, as you say) is that when jesus says he is the 'son of god' it is more metaphorical and he is urging the human race to get in touch with that part inside us which is in touch with the divine.

that was the impression i got from reading it, but i'm not a christian, and had the temerity to look upon the bible as a book. some people might have a problem with that, i suppose.

Well the canonical gospels, while written a long time after the events, were supposedly written by Matthew, Mark, Luke and (maybe) John, the historical disciples of Jesus. And if we're to grant them any historicity then we'd have to consider the fact that Jesus is quoted as referring to himself as the Son of God. The gospel of John and the writing of Paul emphasise the significance of these statements and clearly assume them to be literal rather than metaphorical. In fact if this simple assertion is metaphorical then Pauline Christianity (i.e. almost all modern Christianity) is meaningless. So metaphorical Son Of God? Hmmmm, dangerous ground. Fortunately for me I'm not a Christian in any sense of the word, so I don't really care :D