Why is American English so prevalent in Thailand?

garfield

This perplexes me. English is a global standard, so why do so many schools, colleges and unis in Thailand focus on American English? If you are going to learn the language, why not do it properly? No bastardised spelling, no bizarre grammatical constructions and no weird pronunciation! If you are going to sweat over learning this language, you may as well learn the real language. :twisted:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HERE , HERE.....

They should learn the kings english

i mean what is american english ????

the english language was derieved from the Uk , but as the US is such a dominant player in terms of exporting it culture across the world its little wonder countires adopt thier IMO incorrect use of the english language :D

Miyagi, if your are going to comment on an English language/grammar thread , then by all means do so but make sure your input is correct, especially when you flame someone , as yours is full of spelling and grammatical error's.....

This perplexes me. English is a global standard, so why do so many schools, colleges and unis in Thailand focus on American English? If you are going to learn the language, why not do it properly? No bastardised spelling, no bizarre grammatical constructions and no weird pronunciation! If you are going to sweat over learning this language, you may as well learn the real language. :twisted:
Have you been to the Philippines?! U will be more surprise . Everything is american not only the language :P

the english language was derieved from the Uk

Dead wrong.

English originated from the German language.

correction: not only German..... there is a very strong Dutch influence in the English language..... got to do with the fact that we have been neighbours, friends, enemies and fellow competitors for world dominance lol...

But I will be honest also... Dutch is from the same language family as German.... :lol:

Now I kow what you're thinking. "How would you say it then??"

Simple really . . .

There are 'cool' words and there are 'nerd' words. Let's just say that prevalent is a nerd word. So I, being an American, would scan my inner dictionary and try to come up with a cool word.

So this forum would be . . .

Why is American English so "popular" in Thailand.

See the difference??

If you are going to learn the language, why not do it properly? No bastardised spelling, no bizarre grammatical constructions and no weird pronunciation!

yah.. why does it have to be this complicated - spelling, pronunciation, possession, vocabulary and all that. Not trying to be Americanized (Americanised) but I've only been to schools that teach American English... Didn't know I haven't learn English in a 'proper' way, no?

Honestly speaking, I find British Accent lovely..it's because I don't get to hear that often 'but' it does take time for my brain to operate... to interpret ..

One guest from HK wanted to sue my hotel because he couldn't deliver an email to us - he spelled centRe instead of centeR.. see how this small little thing complicates my life? :P

Maybe it's because American English can actually be understood, as opposed to the British drunken babble style....

Maybe it's because American English can actually be understood, as opposed to the British drunken babble style....

LOL haiku_newyork!! The truth is that the English language(not just American, but all) is the most flexable language there is. You are able to bend it, shape it . . . use words in a way that give you a new meaning. This keeps the English language new and fresh all the time.

Maybe because an American like me wouldn't have posted this question in the wrong forum?

Moved to the "Speaking English" forum.

American English is not prevalent in Thailand.

Both English-language daily newspapers use British English. I hear and read both British and American English and mixtures of the two here in Thailand every day.

There are a lot of British international schools churning out students speaking the king's English (and by the way, the king is dead.), and American international schools doing the same with American English. Thai students study overseas in both countries, as well as Australia and non-English speaking countries.

Shakespeare is regarded as the greatest writer in the history of the English language. And yet what the British speak and regard as proper English today bears little resemblence to the language used by Shakespeare. So I guess you Brits were doing a great job destroying English long before some of you fled the persecution in your homeland and settled in America.

As someone in this thread pointed out, the marvelous thing about English is its flexiblity and creativity.

Don't like American English? Then lock yourself up in your London apartment (flat) and shut out the world. Burn all books by Mark Twain, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Truman Capote and Norman Mailer.

You can accept diversity, or you can ***** and moan like a snotty old grouser looking down your nose at everyone who doesn't meet your particular standards.

The world isn't ready, thank goodness, for your language dictatorship.

"no bizarre grammatical constructions and no weird pronunciation",

this is a joke right?

I can just imagine a Thai learning American English from the South, Sawadee Khup Khun Y'all Redneck Somchai! Or a New Yorkers English, can you imagine that?. There is no such thing as American English, each of the states pronounces the majority of words so different one would think they were different countries.

You have to go back to the US History during the 13 colonies where the Boston Tea party started then the revolutionary. We, Americans, want to be independent from the British rule. The levy of taxation during the Commonwealth era was the cause of the war. I'm proud to be Thai-American.