Sven's Fired

dannyboy

There has been speculation for awhile about the future of Sven at Man CIty but just announced now on the radio in the UK it has been confirmed, Sven will not be in charge of City next season.

Here is what the sun Newspaper have to say.

SVEN GORAN ERIKSSON will be axed as Manchester City boss at the end of the season ? after an explosive bust-up with owner Thaksin Shinawatra.

Eriksson met Shinawatra on Sunday ? and left knowing he was facing the boot.

The shocked Swede called a meeting of all his staff at the Carrington Training Complex yesterday to drop the bombshell.

A City insider said: ?It was a very unpleasant meeting between Sven and the owner. Shinawatra wants control of everything and that is not the way that Eriksson works.?

In an amazing show of fury, the normally mild-mannered former England boss tore into Shinawatra for publicly criticising the team's performance and his own abilities.

Eriksson told the owner his comments were disgraceful and argued if he had anything to say he should do so in private.

But Shinawatra has become so power-crazy at City he wants the final word on everyone who comes in or out ? and even wants to pick the team.

Eriksson has it in his contract that decisions on which players to buy are his call.

Shinawatra, though, is determined to change that and as Eriksson will not comply he will find a manager who will.

Eriksson signed a three-year deal worth £2.5million a year when he joined City last July.

And he will only go when Shinawatra fires him with a multi- million pound compensation package.

The Eastlands insider added: ?Sven was very angry about being attacked in public and let his feelings be known. Sven doesn?t lose his cool very often and was really upset.

?Shinawatra expects the manager to do what he says no questions asked and if he decides a player should be in the team the boss should accept it.

?But Sven won?t agree with that. How many top managers would??

Former Thai Prime Minister Shinawatra wants a big name from abroad to take Eriksson?s place ? but that will not go down well with the fans.

City have had their best season for years, are guaranteed a top-half finish and did the double over rivals Manchester United.

Eriksson told his shocked City stars that he is going to be sacked in the summer.

He revealed he will be chopped after their last two league games.

A number of senior players stood up to pledge their support for Eriksson.

One eyewitness said: ?Everyone was totally shocked. The players have all taken to Sven and enjoy his methods.

?It seems ridiculous after what has been an excellent season.?

I think this is what happens when foreign owners get invoved with English football and don't truely understand the running of a club, this has rung true also this season with my beloved liverpool being turned into a circus.

Any predictions for a successor?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been rumored for awhile. I feel sorry for the City fans more than anything. Sven will be fine, with another big fat pay off. He also will leave City with a good reputation. He turned one of the worst teams in the league into European contenders. It won't be hard for him to find a new job in Europe in the summer if he wants it.

Thaksin doesn't have a clue about football. He may have shot himself in the foot here.

The question really is: why was he allowed to buy the club in the first place? History is littered with sob stories of English football clubs being bought and bungled by foreigners.

Unfortunately, most team sport is about media and money now, and less about just the game on the field. And while this truth continues, the sport will continue to suffer.

It will be interesting to see what 'Taksin Rak Taksin' does next.

It makes me wonder what his advisors have told him and whether he even listened to them. As a footballing decision, this is not a good one.

At club level, Sven's record is second to none.

Club managerial honours

* IFK Gothenborg

o Svenska Cupen Winners 1979, 1982

o Allsvenskan Champions 1981, 1982

o UEFA Cup Winners 1982

* S.L. Benfica

o Portuguese Liga Champions 1983, 1984, 1991

o Cup of Portugal Winners 1983

o SuperCup Cândido de Oliveira Champions 1989

o European Cup Runners Up 1990

o UEFA Cup Runners Up 1983

* A.S. Roma

o Coppa Italia Winners 1986

* U.C. Sampdoria

o Coppa Italia Winners 1994

* S.S. Lazio

o Coppa Italia Winners 1998, 2000

o Italian Super Cup Winners 1998, 2000

o UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Winners 1999

o UEFA Super Cup Winners 1999

o Serie A Champions 2000

The guy has won some serious silverware, he is respected throughout the game. It's sad but i think the only losers will be City!

What top manager is going to go to city after seeing this?

Thaksin, you are a fool, a great way to endear yourself to your fans.

...Unbelievable,

.......I thought the "rumours" were just a coup.........image of unstability for the last few games which could have City rising a few places....

...Unbelievable,

......They've had some bad luck this season, but that was totally eclipsed by the form and the squad....

.....Scolari is a size 12, so the boots should fit........but.....really....

....Premiere league is the best league in the world, but it's got some real "sex tourist" problems with ownership at the executive level.

....People seem to forget that football is nothing without it's fans....

Thaksin does seem to be making quite a habit of going from hero to zero - six months ago he must have about the most popular man in Manchester and now I doubt it is even safe for him to walk into the ground.

The really interesting question is why did he do it? The UK newspapers will simply say he is a stupid foreigner. But Thaksin isnt that. He has proven himself a very smart operator in both business and politics.

I can only guess at two reasons...

1. Thaksin always liked to surround himself with 'yes' men. That might be fine in his businesses and politics but it doesnt work in football. The manager runs the club.

2. Alternatively Thaksin is looking for an exit from his investment - now he is back in Thailand he doesnt need Man City. Conflicts with the fans and the manager give him an excellent excuse to go.

Meanwhile dont feel sorry for Ericksson - he can sit back and write a book about how to be paid shed loads of money not to work at all.

I think there is still plenty of domestic Thai popularity mileage for Thaksin in owning ManC.

And it also makes him a "somebody" in the international tycoon club, as opposed to just some guy from a small country who was kicked out of power and still has a lot of money but no company.

I suspect Thaksin's display of temper stems from another one his traits: From what a couple of people who knew him before he was fabulously wealthy and after have said, Thaksin never likes to use his own money for anything. (This stems from him having gone bankrupt a few times) He might be willing to if it brings him a good fast return, but he would prefer not to.

Now he's got Sven GE spending 30 million of HIS money, and that must irk the crap out of him - especially as he has no trophy to raise.

Remember, columnists here in Thailand often described him as "a man in a hurry.'' Thaksin's success in business has almost always been in areas where he had a built in advantage (monopolies, concessions). He has no such advantage in the Premier League.

So there is no certainty when, if ever, he'll be able to raise that trophy. And in the meantime, he's looking at several more years of Sven, or somebody else, spending HIS money.

How profitable is ManC? It's certainly not a global brand like ManU, Liverpool or Arsenal.

I don't know how Premier League ownership works, but in most other sports leagues ownership approves player transactions, and different owners demand a different degree of say in how the club is run and what player moves are made. More "active" owners, however, usually are less popular with the fans, and for good reason.

I think there is still plenty of domestic Thai popularity mileage for Thaksin in owning ManC.

And it also makes him a "somebody" in the international tycoon club, as opposed to just some guy from a small country who was kicked out of power and still has a lot of money but no company.

I suspect Thaksin's display of temper stems from another one his traits: From what a couple of people who knew him before he was fabulously wealthy and after have said, Thaksin never likes to use his own money for anything. (This stems from him having gone bankrupt a few times) He might be willing to if it brings him a good fast return, but he would prefer not to.

Now he's got Sven GE spending 30 million of HIS money, and that must irk the crap out of him - especially as he has no trophy to raise.

Remember, columnists here in Thailand often described him as "a man in a hurry.'' Thaksin's success in business has almost always been in areas where he had a built in advantage (monopolies, concessions). He has no such advantage in the Premier League.

So there is no certainty when, if ever, he'll be able to raise that trophy. And in the meantime, he's looking at several more years of Sven, or somebody else, spending HIS money.

How profitable is ManC? It's certainly not a global brand like ManU, Liverpool or Arsenal.

I don't know how Premier League ownership works, but in most other sports leagues ownership approves player transactions, and different owners demand a different degree of say in how the club is run and what player moves are made. More "active" owners, however, usually are less popular with the fans, and for good reason.

I think you're out of your league on this one Loburt, just like Thaksin.

Just listening to Man City fans yesterday on a football phone-in, everyone of them was more than happy with the current state of team affairs regarding the football on field. They say they are playing the best football for years and doing the double over UTD has made their year.

Now Thaksin.

Whatever he thinks he can do at the club regarding team selection and player transfer is misguided. I know in Thailand he was a former Priminister and all round big-shot but in the UK he is just a rich businessman with a dodgy past. ( I could use the adjectives and nouns to talk about Thaksin and sadly Thailand by some of the supporters but they were very detrimental)

His expectations of what City could achieve in one season are unreasonable. EVERYONE, fans, commentators, players and ex-players are all in agreement that this has been a very good first season for City and that Thaksin doesn't know what he is doing.

I don't know how other sports are run but I know football. No manager worth his salt would let a chairman run footballing matters, they provide the money, the manger runs the team. Thaksin does not know this.

I don't know how other sports are run but I know football. No manager worth his salt would let a chairman run footballing matters, they provide the money, the manger runs the team. Thaksin does not know this.

actually i think Sven has just found out Thaksin runs the team not him ... as did Jose at Chelski !!

actually i have absolutely no sympathy for MOST man city fans, Sven or the current board. now i know some fans were against Thaksin taking over, but the vast majority didn't give a **** as long as he was splashing the cash.

well Sven, fans and board u accpeted a thieving, power mad bastard who stole from his own country and was responsible for the murder of thousands of his own people .... so som nam na !!!!!

actually i think Sven has just found out Thaksin runs the team not him ... as did Jose at Chelski !!

actually i have absolutely no sympathy for MOST man city fans, Sven or the current board. now i know some fans were against Thaksin taking over, but the vast majority didn't give a sh*t as long as he was splashing the cash.

well Sven, fans and board u accpeted a thieving, power mad bastard who stole from his own country and was responsible for the murder of thousands of his own people .... so som nam na !!!!!

So nam na...that's a bit harsh.

There is talk here that behind the scenes Sven fronted Thaksin about keeping out of team affairs and Thaksin has took a mardy.

And Chelski,Jose was got rid of because he wasn't a yes man surely.

actually i have absolutely no sympathy for MOST man city fans, Sven or the current board. now i know some fans were against Thaksin taking over, but the vast majority didn't give a sh*t as long as he was splashing the cash.

funny thing is, MOST man city fan's i've encountered weren't all that happy about toxin. but you can turn it into a cautionary tale if you like; people love to see patterns in things, especially moral patterns.

So nam na...that's a bit harsh.

There is talk here that behind the scenes Sven fronted Thaksin about keeping out of team affairs and Thaksin has took a mardy.

And Chelski,Jose was got rid of because he wasn't a yes man surely.

well unless i'm missing something surely that proves that when push comes to shove it's the owners/chairmen who decides what goes on !!!