There is NO real EURO without England

Rempler

I have played soccer for roughly 3 decades and during all that time ENGLAND was the key benchmark. They have the - by far - highest speed in the game, sensational players and an outstanding sense of fairness.

pls remind me which major soccer championship England has won in the last 3 decades !!

because i can't f**king think of any !!!!!

My point is, that it's not always the best 2 teams of a tournament, who enter the finals, earn the merits and remain in the memories !!!

Even though any generalization is fragile ...

By the way, Michael Ballack and Juergen Klinsmann share that very positive view of the English football and both have a pretty clear overview regarding the last years of European football history, performance-, strategy- and tactics-wise.

Still, the headline of this forum represented my very PERSONAL opinion.

And at the end of the day I agree with Volcano:

May the best team win ....

BOLLOCKS !!!!!

in the last 3 decades the England team has NEVER been the key benchmark and has NEVER been 1 of the 2 best teams in an international tournament !!

Sven got them to the last 8 of the last 2 major tournaments he was in charge for and that was about their rightful position !!!

Plus! ...Rempler, Are you HIV positive that Ballack and Klinsmann aren't talking about the premiership? That is without doubt high quality stuff but the national team just hasn't been in a while which is a shame because I rather see England than Poland for example.

when i've seen Klinsi comment he was talking about the prem. that doesn't mean he didn't make more than one comment, but i've definitely seen him quoted about the prem, and never seen him quoted praising hte Engerland squad.

You might remember that Klinsmann had been one of the discussed candidates for the squad.

"As several leading figures pulled out of the running for the England manager's job, Franz Beckenbauer yesterday urged the Football Association to turn to his German compatriot, Jurgen Klinsmann, to replace Steve McClaren."

Source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/11/24/sfnfro124.xml

In the context of this discussion, Klinsmann has been asked various times about his opinion about the Englsih national team in German TV stations.

You might have missed that, as it was on German TV and in German language.

I'm sure all those continental European teams are breathing a huge sigh of relief England isn't in it.

They'll just have to find another team to fill England's roll i.e. on paper should go all the way but gets knocked out well early as usual.

i think they got knocked out as early as they could!! :roll:

At least the great dutch players develop further in the big leagues so they can shine for the national team, it is a reasonable price to pay for not seeing them play in the dutch stadiums. All that matters are the Euro & World Cup

have to disagree- club football has, and always will be, far more important than international football!!

when i've seen Klinsi comment he was talking about the prem. that doesn't mean he didn't make more than one comment, but i've definitely seen him quoted about the prem, and never seen him quoted praising hte Engerland squad.

You might remember that Klinsmann had been one of the discussed candidates for the squad.

"As several leading figures pulled out of the running for the England manager's job, Franz Beckenbauer yesterday urged the Football Association to turn to his German compatriot, Jurgen Klinsmann, to replace Steve McClaren."

Source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/11/24/sfnfro124.xml

In the context of this discussion, Klinsmann has been asked various times about his opinion about the Englsih national team in German TV stations.

You might have missed that, as it was on German TV and in German language.

was probably in the English-language press too, but i still missed it. thanks.

At least the great dutch players develop further in the big leagues so they can shine for the national team, it is a reasonable price to pay for not seeing them play in the dutch stadiums. All that matters are the Euro & World Cup

have to disagree- club football has, and always will be, far more important than international football!!

I like you Stegee, I really do but you know damn well that club football being more important is just your personal preference. National teams are the most important to any player PLUS it is pure, you don't buy the best players, you play with the people of your own nation, it's not like some rich russian can step in and lift the team three places up in the ranking.

AND be honest... in clubfootball the supporters of a team will be happy to watch their team in the champions league and a fair amount of football lovers in general will watch give it a peek. But at Euro & Worldcups ALL football fans PLUS people who don't really care about football want to watch. The numbers of viewers are all the proof you ever need. Please don't deny this :roll:

dunno, i think the club vs country debate could go on forever and remain inconclusive.

many players DO put their country first, but many players' attitude changes a bit when they're called up regularly. ultimately though from the players' point of view... when they get on in years, it's about more football, ANY football... thus they tend to retire from internationals and play for a club.

that's bullshit .... but nice to know u feel able to comment on the views of ALL football fans and players since organised competition began !!!!

and in the future also !!!!!!!

.... my German blood wants Michael Ballack to receive the trophy after the finals, but, honestly, I do NOT think that the actual German team is competitive at all, - I wouldn't even be surprised if we go home after the group stage. ....

England was beaten by Croatia, so is Germany.

After having seen the game, I gotta say: My country deserved that defeat.

A lousy performance by our German squad.

My bets are still on Portugal and Turkey.

Once again forgive my ignorance, but when was the last time England actually won a championship?

Dear Sir,

having read various of your lines, I am convinced, that this was NOT a sarcastic question, :oops: :oops: :shock: :wink: :wink:

- therefore may I dare to import the list

Year Victor Runner Up Result Location of the tragedy

2006 Italien Frankreich 6:4 n. E. Berlin

2002 Brasilien Deutschland 2:0 Yokohama

1998 Frankreich Brasilien 3:0 St. Denis

1994 Brasilien Italien 0:0 n.V. 3:2 i.E. Los Angeles

1990 Deutschland Argentinien 1:0 Rom

1986 Argentinien Deutschland 3:2 Mexico City

1982 Italien Deutschland 3:1 Madrid

1978 Argentinien Niederlande 3:1 n.V. Buenos Aires

1974 Deutschland Niederlande 2:1 Muenchen

1970 Brasilien Italien 4:1 Bangkok

1966 England Deutschland 4:2 n.V. London

1962 Brasilien Tschecheslowakei 3:1 Santiago

1958 Brasilien Schweden 5:2 Stockholm

1954 Deutschland Ungarn 3:2 Bern

1950 Uruguay Brasilien 2:1 Rio de Janeiro

1938 Italien Ungarn 4:2 n.V. Paris

1934 Italien Tschechoslowakei 2:1 Rom

1930 Uruguay Argentinien 4:2 Montevideo

This was the least, I was able to contribute. :twisted:

But to become serious again: Ballack's third goal wasn't correct, - it obviously was an offensive foul. While I agree that Germany might have won if there was a penalty shoot-out, - I guess in the extra time we would have suffered from not only Podolski having been burned out.

Don't get me wrong, I am still 100percent German blooded, but lets be fair.

Ball posession was something like 53 (Portugal) and 47 (Germany)

Corners and goal attacks were similar figures. If Portugal would have won, we would not have had any reason to complain.

Yes, of course I am happy about the German victory, but the headline remains: May the best Obama win, sorry :oops: , may the best team win .....

P.s.: for the real expert: I have intentionally implemented at least ONE ERROR in the table above, :shock: :roll: - did you find it :?: :P

You can't seriously mean that England hasn't actually won ANYTHING since 1966?????????????

Thank God we're pretty decent in other sports like crown green bowling, fencing, ballroom dancing and such seeing as we're so crap in our supposed national sport.

are engand really THAT good in ballroom dancing? i think they're overrated.

1970 Brasilien Italien 4:1 Bangkok

P.s.: for the real expert: I have intentionally implemented at least ONE ERROR in the table above, :shock: :roll: - did you find it :?: :P

Bangkok :lol::lol:

Not Mexico?

YEAH ! YOU FOUND IT ==> So HUGO WON THE PRIZE. :D:D:D:D 8) :lol:

2 liters of White Beer (Hefeweizen) from Bavaria will be presented to you, as soon as we meet, either in Frankfurt or Hamburg or Khrung Theb !!

Congrats !

• 3 years later...