physical fight

hbkbkk

that said, the fascination and addiction to adrenaline wears at a certain age. I suppose it comes to men at varying ages. I know guys back in the States who will fight still. Their ire raised at the slightest offense. I never got that. I was rarely angry in a fight but usually well into a night of hard and raucous drinking.

As I said, the life of a GI. Always exciting. I think a lot of it had to do with being fed the "Russkies are coming" propoganda so often. We expected to die at any moment in those days. We really thought they were coming.

My unit was tasked to fall on behind the 11th Cav at Fulda. Life expectancy once hostilities commenced: 30 minutes.

Suicides occurred often enough that it seemed not uncommon. 5.56 to the head while on guard duty.

The Cold War in full rage. Reagan constantly pushing the Soviets.

Death felt imminent.

What's a bruise today when you might be dead tomorrow.

Kau jai khap.......

But your back in the real world now !!!!!

So no need to get hit with all those objects !!!!!

Have another beer...everything will be alright :)

Like I said, I"m a decade and more removed from that time. Now they are merely humourous anecdotes. I'm neither regretful nor ashamed of those times. I actually look back on those days of camaraderie with great affection and happiness. Those were great times. The fights were few and far between. Mostly, we enjoyed the company of friends and shared great times and great memories.

But this thread asked about "physical fights." As usual, the judges come out and take things COMPLETELY out of context. Must be great for some of those who feel so superior to all others.

Glass houses...

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught your point. You give yourself too much credit.

The point you seemed to have missed is that the events to which I speak in the posts above occurred over a decade ago. No questions necessary. We enjoyed our lives in those days and worried about consequences later.

I'm not so sure that "we've all been in a scrap or two in our lives." I stand by my previous assertion.

What I can't understand is your ever present need to judge and to be on the offensive. Nor do I understand your constant need to offend and attack. What void in you needs filled that you so often resort to these cyber-attacks in order to grab attention.

doesn't really matter how long ago it happened it still seemed to take a long time for the message to finally sink in !!! and i've never seen the fun or enjoyment in getting involved in senseless violence ... but each to their own i guess !!

so what exactly has been an attack or offensive today ?? i don't understand why ppl have to get hit by bricks, mouth smashed in by a brick until they figure out it's maybe something they r doing which is causing at least some of this !! i've met plenty of "hard men" in my time, but not too many of them seemed over blessed with too much of the old grey matter .... maybe a result of being bashed about the head so often !!

But this thread asked about "physical fights." As usual, the judges come out and take things COMPLETELY out of context. Must be great for some of those who feel so superior to all others.

Glass houses...

as mentioned before .... ur reading comprehension skills seem to leave a lot to be desired.

having re-read my posts i don't see where i am being judgemental or superior. i was making the point that if "I" was getting involoved in violence like that "I'd" be seriously questioning myself and my lifestyle.

especially if it was me on the receiving end of the bottles, bricks and four by twos !!!

Fight for what?

For the hell of it.

Because you're pissed at your unit.

Because you just spent 120 days in the field.

Because you're bored.

Be creative.

To defend one's self, one's friends or one's love.

There are many excuses to fight. There are few real reasons.

In the instance that I mentioned above. The Brick incident. I was jumped by 8 black guys because I was white. I was the 3rd of 4 intended victims that night. They just didn't see my friends around the corner. I'd never seen those guys before that night. My only offense was being white and their perception that I was alone and therefore vulnerable. What would you guys have done? Attempted to talk to them. lol That would have went over as well as the brick scraping across my face.

You guys must live in some utopia where violence never occurs. I've not seen this place.

Sometimes a fight is necessary.

Other times, not so.

I often get the feeling that I'm surrounded by glass houses in these forums.

Actually I'm more curious than judgemental. Afterall, its your head that got hurt, not mine.

The excuses you list above for fighting are both amusing and predictable. I find it very difficult to empathise with any of them and I'm still left wondering why you wouldn't choose other ways to get your kicks besides hurting others or getting hurt yourself.

Perhaps I do live in a "Utopia" as you call it. But in all my travels and all the crazy and weird predicaments Ive found myself in my life, I have managed to avoid all violence. Of course, if I went looking for it, its easy to find all sorts of trouble.

Fight for what?

For the hell of it.

Because you're bored.

Be creative.

You guys must live in some utopia where violence never occurs. I've not seen this place.

Other times, not so.

I think Dave you may be surrounded by your own reflection. You have had many a fight here on these threads with numerous members which may be why you have changed your ID 3 times. You always complain that your being judged or subject to others morals. Sometimes it is true but more often than not, it does not appear so.

I agree that there are a few usually random situations where people cannot avoid being subject to violence such as being set upon by a group of thugs.

Your happy to cop a few punches on the chin from your past fights but your skin seems very thin when people question your attitudes on here. Roll with it.

Fighting is for morons. If you can't settle your differences verbally, then you shouldn't be talking anyway. Leave it, and maybe revisit it another day when tempers have subsided.

I have lived and worked in many dangerous and violent places where violence is common. Make the wrong step and you could wake up in a bad state or not at all. But I have never been involved in a fight in my adult life - I really don't understand how some see it as a norm in whatever context.

Maybe I have been lucky. Maybe I have been smart. I will always withdraw from a situation of imminent violence even if I lose face or have to run away. I couldn't care if people think I am less of a MAN.

Short of fighting for your life in the context of immediate serious harm, it is hard to see any situation that warrants engaging in physical violence.

Personally, were I given the choice, I'd take the bottle over the brick. The bottle left a knot. The brick damn near caused me to have dental surgery and took weeks to heal and 30 odd stitches.

Now, two by fours. Thems be another story altogether. lol

a 2x4 in the wrong hands... can be more of a danger to the person using it than anyone else. a skinny little indian newsstand owner, for example...

only time anyone ever came at me with a 2x4 he was an even bigger moron than me. he had about a 2' section of 2x4, but he held it pointing at me like he was fencing with me or something.

it would have been a great fight scene for a movie... a comedy about stupid people, not an action movie.

Never had a physical fight in 36 years... that's with 4 years in the military, and traveling the globe. I got into some scrapes but trouble tends to find those looking for it..

I would say a good portion of my friends who always found trouble were clearly in denial (not the river in Africa) about their own conduct. Drink almost always being the catalyst and 'blame' for their behavior..... excuses excuses

In all the situations i found myself in i just walked away (about 2-3) and always remember the same thought. 'do i have more to lose than this prick?' The answer being yes every time.

Understand you don't always have the opportunity to walk away and that requires a skill set that luckily i never had to find.

If it's all about pride an honor then you have serious issues and should seek therapy cause life is short enough as it is.

... i've met plenty of "hard men" in my time, but not too many of them seemed over blessed with too much of the old grey matter .... maybe a result of being bashed about the head so often !!

not always true. a friend of mine in north carolina---a very large friend of mine (about 2 in taller and roughly as wide as he was tall)---made a hobby of bar fights until he was in his late 20s. it took someone shooting at him for him to figure out it was a stupid hobby.

thing is, he was not a stupid guy, in fact he was quite bright and talented, and quite good at his *other* hobby, writing and drawing comics (he had a strip that ran in a few 'alternative' newspapers at the time).

fighting--or just about any excess--satisfies instinctual urges. these urges are not necessarily there to help us survive and are definitely not there to help us be happy. urges and instincts are solely to make sure the best genes have the best odds of getting passed on.

Glass houses...

as mentioned before .... ur reading comprehension skills seem to leave a lot to be desired.

having re-read my posts i don't see where i am being judgemental or superior. i was making the point that if "I" was getting involoved in violence like that "I'd" be seriously questioning myself and my lifestyle.

especially if it was me on the receiving end of the bottles, bricks and four by twos !!!

oh, get a boxing ring you 2!!!!!

:)

Fight for what?

For the hell of it.

Because you're bored.

Be creative.

In the instance that I mentioned above. The Brick incident. I was jumped by 8 black guys because I was white. I was the 3rd of 4 intended victims that night. They just didn't see my friends around the corner. I'd never seen those guys before that night. My only offense was being white and their perception that I was alone and therefore vulnerable. What would you guys have done? Attempted to talk to them. lol That would have went over as well as the brick scraping across my face.

Other times, not so.

Actually I'm more curious than judgemental. Afterall, its your head that got hurt, not mine.

The excuses you list above for fighting are both amusing and predictable. I find it very difficult to empathise with any of them and I'm still left wondering why you wouldn't choose other ways to get your kicks besides hurting others or getting hurt yourself.

Perhaps I do live in a "Utopia" as you call it. But in all my travels and all the crazy and weird predicaments Ive found myself in my life, I have managed to avoid all violence. Of course, if I went looking for it, its easy to find all sorts of trouble.

Peemarc, there's judgement in this very post. I told you they were excuses and admitted that there weren't reason and you still laid it on thick.

I know a couple of posts wherein the person was actually speaking about a friend of theirs. I was in on the situation. This person gave a situation. Asked for opinions. And still you guys gave that person the "oh, another 'my friend' did it and it isn't really about me" speech.

Some on here are too quick to jump to conclusion concerning people and situations about whom you know nothing. I've seen it time and time again.

This is not to say everyone. It's a few of y ou guys who do this. Of course, you'll deny it. It's what you do. It's the whole "holier than thou" routine.

It's funny to watch.

ciaran_m, I get the feeling that your mouth doesn't run as freely as your fingers. Else you'd have at least the experience of a fist to the mouth.

i'm sure most of us here have been in a scrap or 2 in our lives .... but the point i was making (which obviously sailed about 10 foot over ur head) is ....

if i'd been bashed on the head with a bottle, had a brick in the mouth requiring 30 stitches, been attacked with a four by two then i'd be asking myself some serious questions about the kind of lifestyle i was leading, what kind of ppl i was hanging out with and kind of person i was !!!

although i'd like to think having experienced just one of those rather than all three i'd have caught myself on !!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

agree with that. Even without violence, if someone is even getting into arguments or pissing people off on a regular basis, one would have to question what's up with the guy and his life choices.

Fight for what?

that "for what" question can be asked about a lot of things.

for example, if someone is smoking on a regular basis, i'd imagine they ought to be questioning what's up with their life choices.

there are so many things that can press our instinctual buttons, and they can be as dramatic as having people hit you on the head with a bottle, as addictive as heroin or as tepid as playing video games.

whatever the poison, everyone has one, and while almost everyone (in the real world, NOT TF) is capable of reason, not a Goddamn one of us lives by reason.

Karl Popper, more or less the guy who articulated the philosophical underpinnings of science, and the ultimate skeptic in terms of what is known and knowable, was a busybody know-it-all who ran around giving unsolicited advice in his personal life. if you think about it, that's a pretty mind-blowing factoid. makes one suspect that anyone who thinks they live rationally is pretty much full of ****.

... i've met plenty of "hard men" in my time, but not too many of them seemed over blessed with too much of the old grey matter .... maybe a result of being bashed about the head so often !!

not always true. a friend of mine in north carolina---a very large friend of mine (about 2 in taller and roughly as wide as he was tall)---made a hobby of bar fights until he was in his late 20s. it took someone shooting at him for him to figure out it was a stupid hobby.

thing is, he was not a stupid guy, in fact he was quite bright and talented, and quite good at his *other* hobby, writing and drawing comics (he had a strip that ran in a few 'alternative' newspapers at the time).

fighting--or just about any excess--satisfies instinctual urges. these urges are not necessarily there to help us survive and are definitely not there to help us be happy. urges and instincts are solely to make sure the best genes have the best odds of getting passed on.

yeah not all brawlers r stupid, but it has always seemed to me a stupid way to enjoy urself. i spent some time working in england and played football with some of the guys in the "burnley suicide squad". now these guys used to travel all over england following burnley football team, but spent more team organising and taking part in fights than they did watching football and they definitely weren't the brightest bunch of guys i've ever met. likewise i knew guys who wouldn't be happy on a night out if they didn't have a fight ... didn't matter with who and didn't matter why .... they just wanted to fight.

i didn't understand it then and i guess i still don't now !!

understood regarding urges and instincts, but i don't think fighting nowadays is gonna help u pass on ur genes ....... although i guess that may depend on where u live. also a lot of ur basic urges and instincts would probably see us locked up if we didn't learn to control them !!

Some on here are too quick to jump to conclusion concerning people and situations about whom you know nothing. I've seen it time and time again.

This is not to say everyone. It's a few of y ou guys who do this. Of course, you'll deny it. It's what you do. It's the whole "holier than thou" routine.

It's funny to watch.

And then some just can't handle the truth.

ciaran_m, I get the feeling that your mouth doesn't run as freely as your fingers. Else you'd have at least the experience of a fist to the mouth.

i'm sure most of us here have been in a scrap or 2 in our lives .... but the point i was making (which obviously sailed about 10 foot over ur head) is ....

if i'd been bashed on the head with a bottle, had a brick in the mouth requiring 30 stitches, been attacked with a four by two then i'd be asking myself some serious questions about the kind of lifestyle i was leading, what kind of ppl i was hanging out with and kind of person i was !!!

although i'd like to think having experienced just one of those rather than all three i'd have caught myself on !!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

agree with that. Even without violence, if someone is even getting into arguments or pissing people off on a regular basis, one would have to question what's up with the guy and his life choices.

Fight for what?

that "for what" question can be asked about a lot of things.

for example, if someone is smoking on a regular basis, i'd imagine they ought to be questioning what's up with their life choices.

there are so many things that can press our instinctual buttons, and they can be as dramatic as having people hit you on the head with a bottle, as addictive as heroin or as tepid as playing video games.

whatever the poison, everyone has one, and while almost everyone (in the real world, NOT TF) is capable of reason, not a Goddamn one of us lives by reason.

Karl Popper, more or less the guy who articulated the philosophical underpinnings of science, and the ultimate skeptic in terms of what is known and knowable, was a busybody know-it-all who ran around giving unsolicited advice in his personal life. if you think about it, that's a pretty mind-blowing factoid. makes one suspect that anyone who thinks they live rationally is pretty much full of sh*t.

Thanks for the mini lecture Zues. But as I said, I am curious, not judgemental. I dont really care either way. And yes, youare correct that none of us really live by reason much at all. And if we think we do, it's invariably in hindsight (coulda, shoulda, woulda etc). Cigarettes is a very good example of totally irrational behaviour while hurting ones self..

Regarding my comments, I do stand opposed to violence (particularly fisty cuffs and especially with bottles, bricks etc), as I believe you do, so of course I will make comments from that aspect.

Fight for what?

For the hell of it.

Because you're bored.

Be creative.

Other times, not so.

I think Dave you may be surrounded by your own reflection. You have had many a fight here on these threads with numerous members which may be why you have changed your ID 3 times. You always complain that your being judged or subject to others morals. Sometimes it is true but more often than not, it does not appear so.

I agree that there are a few usually random situations where people cannot avoid being subject to violence such as being set upon by a group of thugs.

Your happy to cop a few punches on the chin from your past fights but your skin seems very thin when people question your attitudes on here. Roll with it.

Fighting is for morons. If you can't settle your differences verbally, then you shouldn't be talking anyway. Leave it, and maybe revisit it another day when tempers have subsided.

I have lived and worked in many dangerous and violent places where violence is common. Make the wrong step and you could wake up in a bad state or not at all. But I have never been involved in a fight in my adult life - I really don't understand how some see it as a norm in whatever context.

Maybe I have been lucky. Maybe I have been smart. I will always withdraw from a situation of imminent violence even if I lose face or have to run away. I couldn't care if people think I am less of a MAN.

Short of fighting for your life in the context of immediate serious harm, it is hard to see any situation that warrants engaging in physical violence.

I've had "scrapes" with about 6 or 7 guys on this forum. All guys who like to argue. For instance, you. You love to get on here and throw out clever little barbs. Three of these guys, I've sat down with and had drinks. Two more with whom I frequently exchange PM behind the scenes. Two of whom are intolerable asses. And one who's good friends with a good friend of mine. I've not argued with or attacked females period.

The monikers are meaningless. My Mother named me. That name is the only important one. Why people focus on these monikers is beyond me. I change them all the time on any forum that I'm on to suit my mood at the moment. They're like a t-shirt. Use them as I feel the want. Discard them when I tire of them. I'm bound by one name only. That which my Mother gave me.

Violence never scared me enough to turn away from it. That's not to say that I wasn't scared, nervous or fearful at the time. Just that I didn't care in those moments. Nothing to question. It was who I was at that moment.

My skin isn't all that thing. The only time I've really been upset on here is when the innocent are taken in and used for someone's jollies or to cover another's weakness. I argue with the best of them. When I'm set upon by one of the morons, I hit back. It's what I do.

I haven't been in a fight since my twenties. I'll admit that I enjoyed it while I was in that setting. It was fun.

You seem to expect to come on here and insult folks and they just take it and let you roll on. It doesn't work that way in life. It won't work that way here.

ciaran is a jerk who comes on here and insults people daily. Random folks at that. Always the sarcastic comment for anyone. He aims it at me, I reply. I've never hit first.

It's funny to watch.

and the worst of the bunch appears. he who is scared to participate yet judges all others based on his fears...

It's funny to watch.

and the worst of the bunch appears. he who is scared to participate yet judges all others based on his fears...

bored would be more accurate. Oh and next time you send me a pm please have the balls to accept pm's.

I've had "scrapes" with about 6 or 7 guys on this forum.
Ahem, talk about revisionism!!! :D:D:D Try 25-30, you reached 6 or 7 in your first few weeks as Heretic from my vague recollection. But then you deleted all of your posts when you changed your member ID for some reason best know to you. Without even trying I could easily name 15 people off the top of my head - your already arguing with 5-6 just on this thread! Numbers in themselves don't mean much but there is a clear and consistent pattern. But hey it keeps the punters coming so Rob is happy.
All guys who like to argue. For instance, you. You love to get on here and throw out clever little barbs. Three of these guys, I've sat down with and had drinks. Two more with whom I frequently exchange PM behind the scenes. Two of whom are intolerable asses. And one who's good friends with a good friend of mine.
You seem to be the only one I have had accuse me of arguing with them apart from Mr Allseasonsman (and he was trying from Dublin to pretend to tell us in BKK about security conditions from his one visit to Thailand - even you joined in with me in criticising him).

Hey, I think it is great that you have made 3 friends out of the 30 odd you have had spats with. Honestly, I am sure you are a nice guy Dave and I could also have a few beers with you, shoot some pool while discussing the intra-marital patterns of Kentuckians. :) I just may not invite you to a dinner party with close friends but then my thai cooking sucks

You just have some fairly repugnant attitudes on some issues, but then don't we all in some way?

I've not argued with or attacked females period.

How very chivalrious and sexist of you. And also how very untrue , as you certainly did offend a few women last year who then told you where to go in no uncertain terms.

The monikers are meaningless. My Mother named me. That name is the only important one. Why people focus on these monikers is beyond me. I change them all the time on any forum that I'm on to suit my mood at the moment.

It is an issue as people remember and question it. When you have changed your ID it displays your less than honest intent. Both times thereafter, you posted clearly seeking out those that you had previously had spats with.

Once found out (I think both times by Iain), you then have made the same lame excuse that you were just 'playing around waiting until someone identified you' and how it was all so innocent. You never put your hand up and said, 'hey this is Heretic'. Confusing for a man who says that he not afraid to deal with people directly.

My skin isn't all that thing. The only time I've really been upset on here is when the innocent are taken in and used for someone's jollies or to cover another's weakness. I argue with the best of them. When I'm set upon by one of the morons, I hit back. It's what I do..
Thank goodness the poor and innocent have you fighting for them. :roll: The shia women of Herat must be overjoyed that your fighting for their empowerment. Your paradigm of a continual dicotomy of conflict on TF and your self perceived need to fight for the 'innocent' is perhaps one of the main reasons that you have had so many spats.
You seem to expect to come on here and insult folks and they just take it and let you roll on. It doesn't work that way in life. It won't work that way here..
You seem to be the only one who has whinged about being insulted by me but feel free to enlighten me on the others. I do find it interesting that much of what you right about others seems to adeptly reflect your own disposition.
ciaran is a jerk who comes on here and insults people daily. Random folks at that. Always the sarcastic comment for anyone. He aims it at me, I reply. I've never hit first.
He seems like a very decent guy to me even with all that needless swearing . But then I guess your Mr Squeaky clean on the interpersonal skills front?