Farang.

Admin_2

What does the term "farang" mean to you?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. What does the term "farang" mean to you?

• It's positive.
    • It's negative.
    • It's neutral (could be positive or negative).
    • Farangs enjoy beer, Thais enjoy beer...who really cares?!

This has become a rather curious thread.

We have one Maidai who purports to be a Thai who cannot spell well in English or transliterated Thai. He also avoids answering any questions in Thai script (including mine). However, I don't agree with you, Dave, that he is just ripping it off from Wiki. There are too many spelling mistakes and it smacks of real learned knowledge - maybe some passed down from a parent?. I would like to give him a chance, but he is too elusive.

Nicky, with respect, I think there is a lot that is not taught in Bangkok schools that should be... Even when I did the 'Thai Cultural Course' at a University here, it was clear that the lecturers' knowledge of the rest of Thailand was very liimited. To take one of Maidai's points, the use of the trilled r (Ã), having travelled in 60 Thai provinces as well as several in Laos, I will agree that the further you get from Central Thailand, the less it is heard. Laotians actually replace it often with an H sound (as in the words for boat, house, we and know), otherwise pronouncing it as an L. But these are only observations, not researched opinion.

I think the thread topic has become much more interesting than the original one now, and ask if it could be split.

BTW, has anyone read this book and could recommend it? "The Tai-Kadai Languages" by Anthony Diller, Jerold A. Edmondson, Yongxian Luo

my bad, i will spell check next time for ur convenience. :) but I'd rather stick to the topic or the topic as it transforms into other debates like this one. I mean, we already went through all the "Farang" thing, i dont think we can further that discussion.

im like Peemarc, I rather think outside the box. I dont believe everything i read or everything that is explained to me. Even things in books can be screwed towards the writers bias. I'd rather go find out myself, or double check such things, even though I maybe wrong sometimes, even so, i wouldnt know unless i've made my point heard. its all about learning :D

but think about what you said, "the further u get from bbk, the less the thrilled "R" sound is used." Now think about the migration of the Thai ppl? North to south.

anyway, don't you know, I have ancient Lanna script written on palm leaf at home, passed down to me from my ancestors. :lol:

I don't think you have to prove who you are. I dont care whether you are really Thai or not. I have noticed that you enjoy pissing people off, without giving away any definite answers. If you are really Thai, good for you, but then stop playing this little kid game. It was cute at 1st, but it is getting old now. Enjoy the forums and contribute, rather than stir pointless controversy. If you were to prove that you are Thai, your opinions would hold more weight. At this point you have acquired the status of a troll with a bit of a sadistic streak.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone considered that maybe he cant type thai script on his non thai keyboard?

Just saying. :roll:

Yes... that's why I asked questions that could be answered in English....

But still no answers...

Oh... and to stay on topic...

Errrm... there are Farangs on here who can read and write Thai and have many years experience in Thailand, their opinion of the word 'Farang' is more valid than the opinion of someone who cannot read the word in his own language.

For opinions to be valid, the source must be credible.

im not sure if you read the poll bob? but from my limited education, it seems Im more right then you. but thats just my opinion :D i could be wrong?

as I explained, neutral being zero, the poll is screwed towards it being negative. Everything else being equal, neutral being what is considered zero, any movement towards one way or another is an indication of what the over all attitude towards the word truly is.

unless u can explain the poll's infomation to back what you have to say, i will stick to what i have explained,

iheartfarang.jpg?t=1244871605

ROLFCOPTER wanna take me to a cabaret?

as we walk there we can debate the farang topic as I dodge all the ppl that love to bother farang.

BTW I think I found a way to resolve this topic...

I am ok with being callled farAng... accect on the 2nd A

BUT no fArang... accent on the 1st

makes all the difference in the world.

Failure to address me properly will result in a beatdown, possibly with your own shoe or sandal.

im not sure if you read the poll bob? but from my limited education, it seems Im more right then you. but thats just my opinion :D i could be wrong?

as I explained, neutral being zero, the poll is screwed towards it being negative. Everything else being equal, neutral being what is considered zero, any movement towards one way or another is an indication of what the over all attitude towards the word truly is.

unless u can explain the poll's infomation to back what you have to say, i will stick to what i have explained,

Yes I can explain it. I WILL USE EASY WORDS AND WRITE BIG SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND....

READ MY FIRST POST - I SAID THE WORD 'FARANG' IS NEUTRAL UNLESS CONNECTED TO KEE NOK OR ANY OTHER SUCH PHRASE...

THE POLL SAYS 50% OF PEOPLE AGREE WITH ME... NOT YOU.

YOUR OPINION IS WORTH F.A. BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT THAI AND DON'T LIVE HERE.

HOW ABOUT ANSWERING ONE OF THOSE THAI LANGUAGE QUESTIONS?

NO? BIG SURPRISE....