Saying " Sorry "

KingLing

The INSULT issued against THAILAND was

"Is it hard for Thai people to say I am sorry when they know they are in the wrong or do they just flash it off like nothing was wrong just to save face?????"

So, now, a few of the Thai haters are writing nonsense to avoid the question in the thread again .... that is to prove that they had all the time been correct. Issuing idiotic statements to save their face?

Stop your nonsense right away, Supreme White Men

A question isn't an insult... It's a question.

If you feel insulted, maybe it's because it touched a nerve.

If someone calls you a donkey, you can get angry... When 3 people call you a donkey, it's time to buy a saddle!

Do you believe that there is a bunch of white guys writing stereotypes? No - people say this stuff because they observe it to be true - day after day after day!

Thai people have national characteristics - good ones and bad ones.

Funny, because one bad thing about Thai people is their inability to hear criticism about their country. And another bad thing is they are xenophobic.

Both of which you demonstrated nicely in your last post.

This is truly an real Cockney way of reply after the farangs take pop shots at THAILAND

Congratulations on your Great White Law

hmm QED

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did that ONE girl represent the whole of Thailand?

No, but customer service here is practically a joke, if the agency were to be responsible for their own mistake, money will be most likely taken out from her paycheck not from company. Asking for refunding money is a wishful thinking here in Thailand if they're not westernized businesses. SORRY !

Whole heartedly agree with you!

We are not critical and don't really like to be criticized.

That's the ugly truth of SOME Thais.

So pls use sweet words when u start criticizing us like I think...., is it better to..

in order to avoiding hurting our sensitive feeling naka.

^.^

Criticism is always acceptable, if the criticism would not be too critical to read as an insult. Joking insults may be uttered face to face. To write and publish INSULTS against a Nation is totally unacceptable. Its is assumingly the beginning of a Holocaust. Just read how all those NICE GENTLE EDUCATED and WISE farangs took pop shots.

They insisted on opening the flood gate .... now, I am here to join in the fun. Should we insist to continue further, I will cite many examples from various countries in my next reply.

Also note that the dumb was stupid not to check. Did he apologise that he was stupid, or simply pushed the blame to the girl. What if the girl was from Vietnam/Cambodia/Myanmar working in Thailand with the ability to converse in Thai? Did that ONE girl represent the whole of Thailand?

Oh you are too stupid and stubborn to waste any more time on.

It's not ONE girl - it's an example of situations that happen to people living in Thailand every day!

Accept that your countrymen have flaws! Thai people are bad drivers! They push onto elevators without allowing other people out first. Thai politicians are amongst the most corrupt in the world. Thai people don't read much. Thai soap operas are renown for poor storylines and bad acting.

Don't like it? Tough ****! After 8 years in Thailand, I feel entitled to an opinion. And guess what? All of the above are your country's reputation amongst expats.

If it upsets a xenophobic, hysterical, shrill and frankly deluded woman, I really don't care.

We appreciate the good and recognise the bad - try it some time. Admit Bangkok footpaths are dangerous. Admit cheating is rife in schools, business and politics. Open your eyes and see your REAL country!

Ps Cockneys are from London.

Whole heartedly agree with you!

We are not critical and don't really like to be criticized.

That's the ugly truth of SOME Thais.

So pls use sweet words when u start criticizing us like I think...., is it better to..

in order to avoiding hurting our sensitive feeling naka.

^.^

Criticism is always acceptable, if the criticism would not be too critical to read as an insult. Joking insults may be uttered face to face. To write and publish INSULTS against a Nation is totally unacceptable. Its is assumingly the beginning of a Holocaust. Just read how all those NICE GENTLE EDUCATED and WISE farangs took pop shots.

They insisted on opening the flood gate .... now, I am here to join in the fun. Should we insist to continue further, I will cite many examples from various countries in my next reply.

The thing that continues to amaze me is your ongoing diatribe against "white" and "farang" even though the thread was started by an ethnic Asian.

I'm only half-Caucasian, but you're welcome to hate all of me if it makes you feel good to do so.

Let us remember how the Britsish, Australians, Americans, French and practically white people went to China, Vietnam, Korea to preach their religion and ended up plundering the countries. Now they are often auctiioned in the White auction houses, with the white reaping huge profits

They were there to steal the National Treasurers of every nation.

Let us look at the complacency of the great nations, having to end up with many defensive decisions.

Let us look at 911, why did it start.

Let us look at terrorism ... which country taught.

Why anti-Muslim? If you are able to understand statistics, soon the whole world would be enveloped by Muslims (comparing birth rates). Of course, it may end up killing themselves.

What is Boston Tea Party

Who started drugs and now enjoying their own national disasters

Who is Pauline Hanson

Let us remember how the Britsish, Australians, Americans, French and practically white people went to China, Vietnam, Korea to preach their religion and ended up plundering the countries. Now they are often auctiioned in the White auction houses, with the white reaping huge profits

They were there to steal the National Treasurers of every nation.

Let us look at the complacency of the great nations, having to end up with many defensive decisions.

Let us look at 911, why did it start.

Let us look at terrorism ... which country taught.

Why anti-Muslim? If you are able to understand statistics, soon the whole world would be enveloped by Muslims (comparing birth rates). Of course, it may end up killing themselves.

What is Boston Tea Party

Who is Pauline Hanson

so now you turn a thread about "sorry" into your own soap box to spew your stuff about "white race". How ironic that your words sounds so much like Hitlers early speeches about Jews, and that you actually sound just like Pauline Hanson when she vomited vitriol about "immigrants" and "foreigners" in Australia.

National pride can easily become national fear.

This is not a debate about what race is better or worse in all history or even now. The people on this forum and the foreigners in Thailand are not the ones you speak of here.

It was a simple OP question about a Thai trait or idiosyncracy. That is all.

What is Boston Tea Party

An event that led to the independence of the US from Britain.

Opium (and therefore heroin) originated in ancient Arab countries.

Cocaine is from South America.

None of these would be considered white people, in case that's your implication.

Who is Pauline Hanson

You can't blame all white people for Australia. We had to send the crims somewhere. 8)

Now tell me honestly.... do Indians smell bad? Would you trust a black man? Do you buy "black man" toilet plungers from your local Thai supermarket?

seems we got a farang hater here. One of Kus' proteges perhaps? :roll:

PeeMarc, I don't know what make you think p'Kus is a farang hater.

I don't know if you know her in person or not. From my knowledge she isn't farang hater at all. She seems has strong comments about farang and thai but I think she speak from her experience... same as you guys have had good / bad experience while you live in Thailand.

Back to the topic,

I have so many good and bad experience from farang and sure from Thai ppl as well...

I admit that some Thai people behavior is unacceptable for me but how to change the way they are? Complain them or you just tell them or just avoid to be with them.

Same as some foreigners behavior that unacceptable. How to deal with that? Complain them or you just tell them or just avoid to be with them.

We live in the same planet, yes... but we have difference background.

So I don't think saying "sorry" is hardest word for Thai people only.

If that Elton John might visited Thailand while he wrote that song. I have no idea.

p'King, from what I know, I met him once... but I could feel he isn't the guy who picking on Thai people. He upset with the thai girl from Thai travel agency in Thailand... and post this topic on "Thailandfriends" with simple questions but got such huge responses. I don't know if it's just one bad experience from Thai people happened to him. who knows.

Could it happen in the other countries?

I think so. So is it about race?

Only Thai people have pride and ego?

My first post, I just said simply... for myself only... It's not hard for me to say "sorry" I said hundread times a day... for difference purposes

sometimes I feel I really really sorry. sometimes I just said. I think many people do the same.

as I said, Thai old gen., pooyai, boss don't like to say "sorry" but some do.

but it's the way it is.

Oh you are too stupid and stubborn to waste any more time on.

Ps Cockneys are from London.

Well, I already admitted that I am stupid. However, I am prepared to challenge you on your qualification, if you think you are any smarter and me.

Does your remark prove that you are not an obstinate mule

Cockneys can travel to any parts of the whole. In Thailand, they are more cocky

What I find interesting is that you can find threads here and on other sites where farangs ask Thais what we do that frustrates, aggravates, or even makes them laugh. We ask what Thai people think about our behavior in their country.

And we put up with tons of negative comments that come out of those discussions. In fact, more often than not we agree. Many of us shake our heads at our fellow farangs.

Because our goal is to try to fit in as best as possible. We don't know how the Thai people view us until we ask since most Thais won't volunteer the criticism we ask and we try to keep an open ear.

Most of the people I've seen commenting in this thread seem genuinely interested in understanding why so many Thais have a problem saying sorry. It's not something one guy made up. I think enough people have agreed with the OP that it's not an isolated perception.

So we can sit around and complain about Thai people or we can ask them to help us to understand. I think several Thais have done an excellent job at expressing why they or other Thais might have a problem with the word and I think most of the farangs here have thanked those people for being so candid.

Personally, I think I have a better understanding. I had different thoughts about why it happened but I think I see it differently now. I hope it helps me going forward when interacting with Thais. I hope it helps smooth over our cultural differences since I understand where the other person is coming from now.

See, I can't expect every Thai to try to understand farangs. What I can do is try to understand Thais as best as I possibly can. And even when I don't agree with them I at least can understand what they're feeling and can adjust my behaviors/reactions accordingly.

PeeMarc, I don't know what make you think p'Kus is a farang hater.

I don't know if you know her in person or not. From my knowledge she isn't farang hater at all. She seems has strong comments about farang and thai but I think she speak from her experience... same as you guys have had good / bad experience while you live in Thailand.

seems we got a farang hater here. One of Kus' proteges perhaps?

*gigling* :oops: bah.. I working all here 'one man show'.. and who said I hate farang.., opposite, I obviously love SOME.

So we can sit around and complain about Thai people or we can ask them to help us to understand. I think several Thais have done an excellent job at expressing why they or other Thais might have a problem with the word and I think most of the farangs here have thanked those people for being so candid.

Personally, I think I have a better understanding. I had different thoughts about why it happened but I think I see it differently now. I hope it helps me going forward when interacting with Thais. I hope it helps smooth over our cultural differences since I understand where the other person is coming from now.

See, I can't expect every Thai to try to understand farangs. What I can do is try to understand Thais as best as I possibly can. And even when I don't agree with them I at least can understand what they're feeling and can adjust my behaviors/reactions accordingly.

Good ! thanks for understanding and response to us politely. For us Thais here, its good to be sometimes come out stand the points defending back. If not, sooner or later some farangs who live in our country would say to us that 'SIT ! I TELL YOU SIT'

"Is it hard for Thai people to say I am sorry when they know they are in the wrong or do they just flash it off like nothing was wrong just to save face?????"

So, now, a few of the Thai haters are writing nonsense to avoid the question in the thread again .... that is to prove that they had all the time been correct. Issuing idiotic statements to save their face?

A question isn't an insult... It's a question.

If you feel insulted, maybe it's because it touched a nerve.

Couldnt agree more with Mr.Donut

A : Did you turn off the lights?

B : Yes, I did.. Why? You think Im too stupid to learn that or what?

A : (Shocked) Errrr.. No, Im just asking otherwise I can turn it off myself..

B : Errrr.. ok.. "sorry"

Background..

B always get blamed by her parents, friends and ppl around her..

If no on said that she is fantastic, she always upset and think that ppl just want to blame her..

That is why she reacts like that...

Questions is questions.. the one who interpret is you..

I think this sentence from PeeMarc fits you perfectly

(Plz read with the neutral state of mind..)

"you seem to have a big chip on your shoulder dear. carrying some hurt or anger? "

I like a quote from Note Udome he said that..

"¤ÇÒÃÃÙéÃÒ¡ææ ºÒ§·ÕàËÃ×ù¡ÓᾧÃÔ°·ÕèàÃÕ§µÑÇÊÙ§

¤ÇÒÃÃÙéÊÙ§ ¡ÓᾧÊÙ§ ¤ÇÒÃÃÙéÃú´éÒ¹ ¡çàËÃ×ù¡ÓᾧÊÙ§ÃúµÑÇ

ºÒ§¤ÃÑé§ÃѹÃÒ¨·ÓãËéÃçÃáä»äÃèàËç¹ÃÃäÃ

¹Ã¡¨Ò¡ÃÔ°·Õèµ¹àç ¡èâÖé¹ÃÃ’ "

"Sometimes high education is same as high stacks of bricks.

Higher education, higher stacks of bricks..

Surrounded by knowledge, surrounded by bricks.

It is too high untill sometime you cannot see anything out there

Except your own bricks"

Ps.. hope my translation isnt too ugly..

P'skomalada

Whatever you have in your mind.. all the bricks around you that protect you..

Just for once, clam out abit to see.. and if u still dont like it.. you can gon to your space again..

With utmost respect

Im Thai .. I love Thailand I didnt get brainwashed from western culture..

I learn from life.. We have to take criticism sometime.. so that we can become better ppl..

I was at a travel agency booking a trip to 3 different destinations ih Thailand.

Worked with the Thai agent for 2 hours in arranging the itinerary and bookings of Air Flights and Hotels.

Everything was satisfied and I paid the travel agency.

It should have been my mistake because I didn't read the final print out of the whole package before I left travel agency.

When I arrived at my 1st destination I finally pulled out the paper work for the package and realized that she had charged me too much for the Air Flight.

When I returned from my trip I went to the travel agency and presented the paper work of the over charged.

The Thai agent that worked with me on this package recognized the mistake but when the boss got into it....The Thai agent retracked her mistake all knowing that I knew she made a mistake and that she knew that she made the mistake.

There was no apology or refund of the over charge.

It was very disturbing to see that type of behavior.

Please everyone. I like you all to know that the question was not of discriminating intentions.

This is a Thai website so that is why I posed it towards the culture of Thailand.

King, that sounds more like a travel agent issue than a Thai culture issue. Just try doing business with Panda Travel on Kapahulu if you don't believe me!

My experience in Thailand has been that Thais are generally the same as any other people about saying "sorry"-- it depends on the individual and the nature of the interaction.

Stuff like this I just log for future reference and move on.

Yup I agree with you Rob

the poor agent who acknowledged the mistake to you King may have been in jepordy with her job...so when her boss got involved ...she may have decided to look out for number one... ( who knows why right?)

hmm p'Danno,

In case you didn't see p'King's post,

He said she was Thai, and it was Thai Agency, and it happened in Thailand.

¹éç˹Öè§, my point was that the incident could have happened anywhere, even in King's home state, Hawaii, where I had a similar experience with a travel agency. I think that's the point on which Danno is agreeing.

quite! :wink:

Good ! thanks for understanding and response to us politely. For us Thais here, its good to be sometimes come out stand the points defending back. If not, sooner or later some farangs who live in our country would say to us that 'SIT ! I TELL YOU SIT'

(Would it be true to say that the only other people's in recent times to tell the Thais to "SIT" were the Japanese when they occupied the country during WWII? They killed over a hundred thousand thais but I am yet to see a memorial to those thais or hear the Japanese govt apologise to the Thai people (maybe they did decades ago?).)

Khun Kus, I do also believe it is good to respond but perhaps there should be some more self reflection given the underlying cultural issues and complexities intersecting this thread.

I must say I do find that it is sort of interesting that some Thais worry about "farangs" playing such a role - and I am sure that some idiot farang do think that way - when in 'egalitarian Thailand' the pooyai, high-so & Bangkok elite have been doing it for a long time and will fight tooth and nail to maintain their dominant position status quo. (Clearly Thailand is not the only country in the world with such a hierarchy but it is very pronounced here).

IS it ok for Thais to treat other Thais similar to slaves?! (To say nothing about how many Burmese & Cambodian migrant workers are treated by some Thai bosses in an almost slave like manner in some contexts).

And equality before the law for all Thais only exists in theory if the concept of equality can be applied at all in such a hierarchical country. Maybe when these structural and cultural issues improve for the better for the majority of Thais you can worry about those 'fearful foreigners' who want to take over Thailand.

Just be careful though......they may not come from the west, they may come from the east.

I would love to see a Thailand were equality and opportunity between all Thais prevails regardless of their enthic background, sex, skin colour, sexual orientation social status or family background. There are some good laws and institutions in Thailand in this regard and the situation is slowly improving due to the many fantastic Thai NGOs and Thai academics working hard to change the status quo.

However, that day seems a long way off.

(BTW, we can discuss any other country for comparison purposes if it is suitable).

This is truly an real Cockney way of reply after the farangs take pop shots at THAILAND

Soooooooooo Great White Law... are you going to tell me that ALL white people are the same?

So...

Russian = South African = British = Australian = American

orly.jpg

yes DC we are!!!!

Discouraging isn't ...we are interchangable with

....Iain!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The question was not intended to be an insult.

You claim to be an assistant professor/lecturer on your profile but you are not really getting my attention to your vast knowledge of cultural understanding of the english language or it's history of the country.

As a college assistant professor/lecturer you should have an open mind about anything expecially since you are suppose to be the teacher and listener of your students that you are trying to educate.

The original qiuestion:

Was just a plain question that could have been directied towards any culture or race but it was on a Thai website so it was asked about Thai people. If this was an American website then it would have been directed towards Americans etc.

Also if you not have known by now I am Chinese/American raised in America but I get the feeling that you think I am white for some reason. You need to do more research professor.

To what some people might believe the question was not conjured from the travel agency story that I had told. It was just one example that I can think of to explain about my question:

To make this thread more interesting about the question that was posed my me. It was actually about someone (Thai person) that had said " I am sorry " and I just wanted to know was it hard for Thai people to say I am sorry when they know they are in the wrong or do they just flash it off like nothing was wrong just to save face ?

You are suppose to be the educator so please think about what you say and be responsible for what you say.

I think you are in the wrong from all your comments and that you should say......................................................................................................................................................................................I am sorry :)

Just so that we all know you can say it because that is what you have been claiming to do with all your ranting.

King