Thai things that annoy you BUT you never want them to change

KhunEmma

The disapproving looks I think I get when getting off the BTS at Nana station. I have no idea whether I get disapproving looks or not but in my mind I'm embarrassed to get off the BTS at Nana.

YES! I know exactly what you mean. Thanks for saying that out loud. It's kinda embarrassing feeling. (Thai) People always glares at who gets out at NANA station. Checking you out from head to toe. If they are women and a little too much make up, dress a little slutty, it's a guessing game who selling a*s in Nanaplaza or if partying in soi 11. *shrugs

LuckyPhil and I had a good laugh about that one night. It's like as you're approaching Nana station and you imagine that every Thai on the train is thinking "I bet the farang gets off at Nana." And then you get to the station and you don't want to rush for the door. You stand there waiting to see who else is getting off. Maybe some respectable looking Thais (seldom happens) or some farangs in business suits (seldom happens) will get off and you can blend in with them. Finally you have to make your exit and the second you start moving for the door you're imagining that all the Thais are thinking "Yep, told you the farang was going to get off at Nana. Knew it! Perverts!"

i honestly couldn't give a flying f**k what ppl on the BTS think when they see me get off at Nana .... mind u growing up in northern ireland in the 60's and 70's (and even now to some extent) i'm used to judgemental bastards !!!

u get small ppl with small minds everywhere in the world !! :roll: :roll:

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand isnt exclusive when it comes to sleeze....

Reeperbahn in Hamburg...

reeperbahn.jpg

London's Soho...

31_26_64---Raymond-Revue-Bar--Soho--London--England_web.jpg

Sydneys Kings Cross area

g2007july04.jpg

The list goes on and on...

Basically, most port cities in the world have similar to Nana or some sort of sex trade. Its been happening since people built ships and sailed from port to port.

Yeah but lets face it, Nana and the Pong are so tiny compared to the larger but more discreet sleazy thai areas which cover the entire country. It's surprising what a little neon can do in a relatively small part of town, it just makes everything look so much bigger than it really is..

agree. I laugh when I hear Thai people bang on about farangs and sleaze, when the fact is that about 90% of all the sex industry in Thailand is for Thai people.

Well, they do have a point though. The farang places are so much more in your face. Sure Thais have Thai go-gos but half the staff aren't hanging around outside half-naked yelling "hello hansum man" at everyone who walks past. Nobody is parading elephants up and down the road. There aren't little kids darting in and out of the crowds trying to sell roses (or pick your pockets). The farang scene is like a carnival. I'm just waiting to see some dude walking down Cowboy juggling chainsaws. :-)

Getting back to the original topic :-)

Getting phone calls from blocked numbers or a phone number not already in your phone and the person expects you to know instantly who they are.

Me: Hello

Her: Hello, how are you?

Me: I'm good. How are you?

Her: I'm good.

Pause . . .

Her: You don't remember me?

Me: Who is this?

Her: Oh, you did forget me.

Me: Your phone number is blocked on my phone. I don't recognize the voice. Can you tell me your name.

Her: Noi

Me: Noi? From that party about a month ago? You work at Central World, right?

Her: Ooooooh, you remember me!

Yeah, all I needed was a little piece of information . . . like YOUR NAME!

On the other hand, not sure I would change it too much because I it's always someone I thought blew me off and I would never hear from again :-)

White men thinking they are greater than God, and especially the women that makes them think so.

Bad traffic

Dirty grey streets

Westerners that live the expat life in Bangkok on the pretext of 'teaching' English when they themselves can't speak proper English.

You really DON"T want any of these to change?! :shock:

My bad, sorry, didn't read it properly. Yes!! Would want this to change!

it's always someone I thought blew me off and I would never hear from again :-)

Too much info dude.....And from Admin too fnarr fnarr :lol:

English Lesson for Stevie:

Blew me . . . well, I think you know that meaning.

Blew me off = Said they were going to contact me or meet me and didn't. :-)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Snap !

An English lesson on double entendres for you Admin me good man, fnarr fnarr oo-eer missus n all that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finbarr_Saunders

Titter ye not !

Her: Ooooooh, you remember me!

Yeah, all I needed was a little piece of information . . . like YOUR NAME!

On the other hand, not sure I would change it too much because I it's always someone I thought blew me off and I would never hear from again :-)

u actually remember her?

lol

I get that all the time and I say Noi who? LOL

The disapproving looks I think I get when getting off the BTS at Nana station. I have no idea whether I get disapproving looks or not but in my mind I'm embarrassed to get off the BTS at Nana.

YES! I know exactly what you mean. Thanks for saying that out loud. It's kinda embarrassing feeling. (Thai) People always glares at who gets out at NANA station. Checking you out from head to toe. If they are women and a little too much make up, dress a little slutty, it's a guessing game who selling a*s in Nanaplaza or if partying in soi 11. *shrugs

LuckyPhil and I had a good laugh about that one night. It's like as you're approaching Nana station and you imagine that every Thai on the train is thinking "I bet the farang gets off at Nana." And then you get to the station and you don't want to rush for the door. You stand there waiting to see who else is getting off. Maybe some respectable looking Thais (seldom happens) or some farangs in business suits (seldom happens) will get off and you can blend in with them. Finally you have to make your exit and the second you start moving for the door you're imagining that all the Thais are thinking "Yep, told you the farang was going to get off at Nana. Knew it! Perverts!"

But I'd always feel very special when sometimes I'd be getting off at some other station such as Phrom Phom.

You hear the words "satanee torpai ..... Nana", and there'd be some Thai looking at me as if to say that's your stop mister. Maybe even give me a little smile, almost like saying "hey man it's ok, don't be embarrassed, you're a dirty perverted farang, it's what you do, go ahead and enjoy"

Then when they see me still sitting, it's like "stupid farang day dreaming, has just missed his stop, lol".

But when I hear "satanee torpai ..... Phrom Phom", I proudly get up and walk to exit the train, I'm like "hey everyone look at me, I'm getting off here, see I'm not perverted like you all thought I was".

They'd all learn a valuable lesson, that not all farangs go to Nana with the skytrain, sometimes they take a taxi there, :lol: :lol: :lol:

and... those very silly oversized contact lenses so many Thai girl wear these days. And even more silly... the oversized colour ones.

oh well.... gotta keep copying those Korean fashions .... wouldnt want to be original.

:roll:

We, Thai loves everything that is not Thai..

As simple as that...

and... those very silly oversized contact lenses so many Thai girl wear these days. And even more silly... the oversized colour ones.

oh well.... gotta keep copying those Korean fashions .... wouldnt want to be original.

:roll:

We, Thai loves everything that is not Thai..

As simple as that...

But don't Thais love everything Thai too ???

:P That makes it tuff! :wink:

In the elevator:

Farang: "Chan 5, khawp khun khrub"

Thai: Look of disbelief...fumble to press the number 5 button..."Poot Thai chat maaaaak kha. ooooiiii!! Yuu teenee gee pbee laewaaah?!"

Depending on the day it can be annoying or fun to play around with, but the farang turns into a rare animal in the zoo for all to admire and point at until you can finally get to the fifth floor and run away.

If someone lived in the states for 5 years and spoke English at the level where most farang's Thai would be, I'd think that they are a lazy or "slow."

It annoys me, but for some reason I wouldn't want it to change. It creates a positive learning environment.

Throwing massive amounts of human resources at problems.

For instance, when you go to checkout in a department store there are at least 3 people involved in this procedure. One person who stands there doing nothing. Another person who rings up the items. And another person who's job it is to wrap your purchase as if preparing a priceless artifact for shipping.

The person who is doing nothing only gets involved when the bill is ready. The cashier hands her the bill and she hands it to you. When paying she takes the money and hands it to the cashier. When the transaction is complete the wrapping girl hands your bag to the do-nothing girl who hands you the bag.

Likewise, on my soi they have one of those huge draw gates. Why? I have no idea. Is it to keep the riff-raff from going down the soi? Who knows? Anyway, this gate has never been lowered (as far as I can tell) in the 8 or so months I've lived on the soi. Not once. Not even for testing that the gate even works. It's always in the up position.

Yet, it's staffed 24/7 by 3 security guards. I have yet to figure out what any of these people actually do except sit around and chat all day. They don't check any of the cars going up and down the soi. They don't lower or raise the gate. They just site there in their little guard shack and talk all day.

In fact, they were doing construction on the soi and they had to dismantle the gate because it was in the way. So here you had 3 people sitting around guarding a gate that wasn't even there!

But at the same time, I wouldn't change it because back home it's the opposite, not enough people and they're often rude and surly as a result of being overworked.

ooo! ooo! ooo!

GHOSTS!!

Those scary see-through monsters that only come out right when you wake up in the middle of the night (A DREAM).

I've never seen such an advanced city believe in ghosts so much. And Thai TV does a great job of making people believe in (and fear) ghosts as well.

However, I can find it cute sometimes...cute as in 7 year old cute.

But at the same time, I wouldn't change it because back home it's the opposite, not enough people and they're often rude and surly as a result of being overworked.

I was just about to say something until I read this at the bottom of your post.........

Stop Whinning :)

Thailand gets it just about right. In India they also throw too much labor at every problem but they can also be too helpful. I've been sitting in a hotel restaurant and the waiter hovers over you the entire time. If you drop a crumb he's running over to scrape the table. He's offering you stuff you obviously don't need (like butter when all I'm having is a bowl of cereal - WTF?!?!).

I've had to tell the wait staff a few time to back off and let me enjoy my meal in peace. :-)

For me Thailand is very much like the cult movie 'Children of the Corn'..

All the adults are mysteriously missing and the children are running everything..

haha, never thought of it that way...

That movie scared the crap out of me. Maybe it's that freaky excitement that makes me love Thailand.