Thai birthdays

SweetieBabie

How do Thai people celebrate their birthdays?

How do are they different than birthdays in the western culture?

Do you organize your own birthday party? Do you buy your own cake and drinks for everyone? Do you get yourself a present or do you give presents to others?

What do you want to do most in your birthday?

I have done in many different ways.

When i was in school, I draw thank you postcard sent to my mom and sisters who taking care of me, invited friends to my house and have party.

When i working, there also has boss arranged for me, company's suppliers did for me. And I will still have bd party with the family members.

But what I always do on my birthday is going to temple, donate monk's neccessary stuff.

Recently, what I do on my bd besides from going to temple and donation, I will have family dinner.

I never bought bd cake for myself, but bd gifts.

But this year, it would be something that slighly diffirent :lol:

How do Thai people celebrate their birthdays?

How do are they different than birthdays in the western culture?

Do you organize your own birthday party? Do you buy your own cake and drinks for everyone? Do you get yourself a present or do you give presents to others?

What do you want to do most in your birthday?

When i was in school, I draw thank you postcard sent to my mom and sisters who taking care of me, invited friends to my house and have party.

That's lovely. I remember you can make very nice postcard.

Brithdays in DK, the Dane will set Danish flags outside or on windows or on the dinner table. If a man or a woman who turn 30 and not yet married he/she will be called "pebersvend" or "pebermoo" (pepper man or pepper maid) and he/she will get a pepper shaker as a birthday present.

The Dane eat cake on the birthday, the cake calls "lagkage"

lagkage.jpg

The differences are surprising for me. In UK, someone with a birthday gets a cake from other people - even at the office. Sometimes they go for lunch and people pay for their lunch.

If they go out in the evening with friends, they can't buy a drink - everyone else makes sure they pay.

And in Thailand, it's the opposite - birthdays can cost a fortune... my last one cost XXXXX baht(!).

as Dave describes ...b-days in the US usually result in the person with the b-day being treated all day long an d receiving cake gifts etc. And I too thought the reverse in Thailand must be a different (and pricey) experience...

I can see the logic both ways.... a compromise...

after you are an adult...Maybe the b-day person should treat their family .... but friends and colleagues should treat their friend's DAY!

Since I remember I never have a birthday party don't know why I always refused to have ones maybe I take it as it's just another day that I'm getting old.. but I hugged mum and looked at her eyes let her know how thankful and love I was without saying a word (she will knows exactly what I wanted to say) and be nice to my dad, don't know why I never hug him since I was a teenager but I think he knows I love him..

I've got gifts from the love ones and being treated sometime if they know it's my birthday.

Since I remember I never have a birthday party don't know why I always refused to have ones maybe I take it as it's just another day that I'm getting old.. but I hugged mum and looked at her eyes let her know how thankful and love I was without saying a word (she will knows exactly what I wanted to say) and be nice to my dad, don't know why I never hug him since I was a teenager but I think he knows I love him..

I've got gifts from the love ones and being treated sometime if they know it's my birthday.

Its ya birthday! :wink:

In a few minutes I'm about to leave for a typical Pinoy birthday party lots of free food, free booze and lots of talking!

In a few minutes I'm about to leave for a typical Pinoy birthday party lots of free food, FREE BOOZE and lots of talking!

Can anyone join????? i cant get a beer for these damm elections :evil:

In a few minutes I'm about to leave for a typical Pinoy birthday party lots of free food, FREE BOOZE and lots of talking!

Can anyone join????? i cant get a beer for these damm elections :evil:

CB's is serving...

i think my birthday is just another day, I am not sad if my friends can not remember my BD or some may remember but just pretend to forget ^^..

but i do think it's important to remember my parents and bf BD.

normally i will Remind my mum that it will be my BD tomorrow na so ... pls cook something or prepare some food because i like to food some food for monk , so she will wake me up since early morning then we go to give monk food , monk walk to my area or come by his small boat everyday .. not for from my home really .. I don't go to temple cos.. i think this is good enough but i'd do something more speical to donate money for poor dogs or children or give charity.

and that's all about my BD, if that year i am lucky i may get flower or some gift from my friends ^^.. i will tell ppl in my family thatit's my bd, i may buy myself a cake to share with my family and my dogs, i will ask my mum for cook something for us and we have special dinner .. we will have time to talk and relax .. that what i feel happy enough ka

To me my bd is similar to my other days, I don’t really celebrate my bd, unless my friends wanted to…

I don’t think I bought myself cake but my friends did buy me once as I remember…

I bought a bd gift to some of my friends if I remember their bd..lol…

This year I think I don’t want to remember which day is my bd because I don’t want my friends recognize my bd too…lol.. so I think I’ll change my birth date on my profile from late Sept to be early of Sept on the second or third of sept…lol…

:oops: :oops: :cry: :oops: :lol::lol:

I had a birthday party for a very good friend of mine on her 30th birthday. I invited all her friends, had it at the old Collosium, with reservations, cake, food, the works. After the party when we were all leaving I found out from her older brother that it was the first birthday party she had ever had, in her entire life.