Big Brother Bill Gates! IE 7 Beta

khun_lung

Yesterday I read on cnn.com that Microsoft had released Internet Explorer Version 7 Beta for public downloading. So yesterday I downloaded it. When I began the install routine I got a message that the program would connect me to the Microsoft web site to verify that I have a legal and registred version of Windows. Whoa! Abort!

Do you want to give Bill Gates and crew full access to your computer to do whatever they want while you sit and watch unable to do anything? No thanks! And if you don't have a legal copy of Windows, what are they going to do? Report you to the authorities? Stop the install? Disable Windows?

I understand the arguments about proprietary software rights very well but this raises the stakes too high in my opinion and thought you might like to be warned about this before you happily download I.E. 7. Sorry, Bill. You've gone way too far!

Got to agree Mike.

I am sure Microsoft will wake up soon to this scam they are trying to unleash on their customers.

My business is Campus Management Systems for all levels of education in Thailand, and I recently had my .net versions converted to JAVA as the schools and universities arent interested in the cost of maintaining Windows.

Almost all are slowly moving to open source operating systems.

In the years to come Bill will stop selling his software via cd and move to download purchases or via an application service provider as he has stated, for the very same reason you outlined.

I am not saying I agree with unlicensed copies, I am in the same business so I am totally against it, however there is a difference between having a licensed version and having Microsoft control your PC.

Sorry, Bill. You've gone way too far!

i'll bet that's got him running crying to his bank manager(s) !!

http://philip.greenspun.com/WealthClock

i mean he's only down to his last $64 billion

Thu Apr 27 00:58:46 EDT 2006

Microsoft Stock Price: $27.10

Bill Gates's Wealth: $64.496972 billion

"If you want to know what God thinks about money, just look at the people He gives it to."

-- Old Irish Saying

There's an update in windows update called "Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB905474)" now that installs a program that checks if your copy of windows is legal. It loads every time you start windows and runs in the background.

I suggest you avoid downloading this update, especially if you don't have a legal copy :)

Microsoft is an aberration of the idea of ?intellectual property?, but IP itself is an aberration of human thinking. When you claim something to be ?yours?, the Universe shows no mercy. It won?t rest until you give in and let the ?idea? be free to evolve.

The problem is not that MS is in the position to exercise control over my computer. I have nothing to hide and there is nothing in this Universe that could be of any importance (thought the majority of mankind will ardently disaffirm this statement). But what is really unacceptable about MS is its dominance. As soon as something gains the upper hand in nature, the rest conspires against it. And that?s exactly the situation MS is in. Dominance, by its nature, always tries to bring down the rest to a level where it can be dominated. Hence the ?control? obsession.

As a result, MS is the biggest obstruction for the evolution of software and computer applications in general towards a more sophisticated (human?) level. Without companies like MS (and this is valid for ALL big companies) the world would be much better off because it would offer much more opportunities for many people to develop themselves.

MS is an annoyance but that counts for everything that dominates. Do away with IP and you will see that a lot of problems in the world disappear. Ideas wanna be free ? (and not ?free? in the American way).

For quite a while now, i fyou download Windows Updates and your copy of Windows is not legal, the updates detect it and mess up your operating system. It's nothing new.

For all the griping about Microsoft, do you really expect them to give away a free download of an updated version of Windows if you're using a pirated copy?

For quite a while now, i fyou download Windows Updates and your copy of Windows is not legal, the updates detect it and mess up your operating system. It's nothing new.

For all the griping about Microsoft, do you really expect them to give away a free download of an updated version of Windows if you're using a pirated copy?

Absolutely right.

Absolutely! All the other major Windows-based browsers i.e., Firefox, Netscape, Opera, are all free downloads and IE has always been free in the past. I far prefer Opera to IE any day but I thought okay, I'll have a look and see what they've done. But not if they're going to peek inside my computer to see what I've got!

Don't you think it's a little like going into a bar and finding an attractive lady and saying, "Excuse me, but do you mind if I slip my hand into your panties just to check what you've got?"

Absolutely! All the other major Windows-based browsers i.e., Firefox, Netscape, Opera, are all free downloads and IE has always been free in the past. I far prefer Opera to IE any day but I thought okay, I'll have a look and see what they've done. But not if they're going to peek inside my computer to see what I've got!

Well, Mike, you have awfully high expectations. You can use open software if you like, there's nothing to stop you and lots of people prefer it.

But it's a fact of life that Windows is not free. If you haven't paid for it, I don't think you deserve a free copy of the new version. That's not fair to all the people who have paid for theirs. Go use your Opera, your Aria or your babershop quartet or whatever.

As far as them peeking inside your computer, as long as all they are checking is whether your Windows software is legal or not, I don't see a problem with that if you've got legal software.

If it goes beyond that, that's another story. But I've not heard any complaints so far that they've been doing that.

Don't you think it's a little like going into a bar and finding an attractive lady and saying, "Excuse me, but do you mind if I slip my hand into your panties just to check what you've got?"

No, I don't. And I think that's one of the worst and most inappropriate analogies I've ever read or heard.

Oprea 9 [the beta version is out a few days now and free with no adds]

is by far the best browser ive ever used. Firefox is good too but it too has many flaws similar to IE. Both are more prone to security issues.

As for the ludicrous notion that because i might have a pirated version of XP windows on my machine that gives MS the right to waste my hardrive. mI dont accept that.

They should be able and entitled to check and see - then only refuse to give the updates. Ppl could easily have bought a PC or Laptop with all manner of software already on the machine and most ppl are not very well up on PC stufff so they should not be subject to having their PC wrecked by MS.

A simple warning and then a refusal to give updates is the most MS should be able to do.

As the recent case in Eurpoe is showing. MS are no less than gangsters and do not deserve to be respected . They ruined the Office suite market as with all else they do so I say good luck to anyone who has pirated MS stuff

No bloody way Im paying hundreds of dollars for MS Office [so many versions too!-just to rip off the public] when I can got to Thaoland and buy all I need foe a few dollars. If it was a reasonable price I would say fine and be happy to pay. As Mike and getting a new Laptop? If u can hokd off for about 6 months and u will fare much much better. 6-9 months lots of things happening.

Good post Swifty. And thanks for the advice.

Tanks Mike !!!,

thanks for the lookin out !! I'm a Mac man but nice to know whats up in the Day of Big Brother !!!!

I am about to buy the new Intel Powerbook Pro my first Apple now it is compatible with Windows.

Am I doing the right thing buying it now or should I wait given both the machine and the software are so new.

right now the dual boot software is in beta, and it will be an integral part of os 10.5 from what i understand.

from what i've heard of people who are dual booting it is running well, and one dweeb even managed to boot mac, windoze AND unix.

after giving you all the reasons to wait i must confess i may get the intel imac now. mainly because i live in a 12" powerbook.

Well, Mike, you have awfully high expectations. You can use open software if you like, there's nothing to stop you and lots of people prefer it.

But it's a fact of life that Windows is not free. If you haven't paid for it, I don't think you deserve a free copy of the new version. That's not fair to all the people who have paid for theirs. Go use your Opera, your Aria or your babershop quartet or whatever.

You two guys are talking about two different things. Khun Lung is talking about the IE Web Browser, while Loburt is talking about the operating system. The browser is free; the operating system is not.

I don't like the idea of Bill having unfeathered access to my entire computer. Who know what else or who else he will let in. Access to my garage to check that I paid for the software you have written is OK in my book, but access to my house and software that you didn't write is not OK. Until you can seperate the two get off my f*ck'n property.

I am about to buy the new Intel Powerbook Pro my first Apple now it is compatible with Windows.

Am I doing the right thing buying it now or should I wait given both the machine and the software are so new.

Mike, the 15" MacBook Pro has had quality issues. If you can hold out until a rev B, or at least wait for a batch that seems to have resolved the current problems, you may save yourself a few headaches. Of course there are other owners who are perfectly happy with their purchases.

As far as Windows compatibility, though both the dual-boot (Boot Camp) and virtualization (Parallel's Workstation) solutions are beta releases, they hold a lot of potential. To what degree will depend upon your requirements insofar as which Windows applications you need to run on the MacBook Pro. On one end of the spectrum, as a Mac user since 1987, all my computing needs are met on my Powerbook G4. I don't play 3D games. I don't need special CAD packages. So booting into Windows would be a novelty to me. Your case may be entirely different.

If you decide to go ahead with the purchase now, I highly recommend you also spring for AppleCare which gives you 3 years of coverage on the MacBook Pro. For mobile products, AppleCare offers international warranty repair service through any authorized Apple dealer. Actually, AppleCare is a must-buy with any laptop anytime.

Jo

what jo said re: applecare. also re: not buying now. changing chips is a major upgrade.

btw there is an applecare dropoff in bangkok near the lotus across from the rama 3 central.

some mac shops, such as the ones in phantip, will accept warranty/applecare repairs, but they just shuttle it over there and charge you for the privilege.

and the people at the applecare place are much more friendly and sympathetic than the phantip foiks.

Thanks Zeus and Music, I have had my doubts but every time I look at that machine I fall in love with it.

I am heading for the USA later this year, I think I will take your advice and hold off for now and just stay abreast of progress of your points and maybe purchase it there. I am no hurry as I have a new Vaio which serves me well.

Once again thanks for all the good advice guys.

I don't think you can use pirated software and then complain about... anything.

Another reason to be careful with Panthip versions of Windows is that they are frequently (as in 90% of the time) pre-loaded with worms. The Panthip guys download infected versions from the warez sites and don't bother to clean them first.

Another reason to be careful with Panthip versions of Windows is that they are frequently (as in 90% of the time) pre-loaded with worms. The Panthip guys download infected versions from the warez sites and don't bother to clean them first.

this is a VERY good point. if you only legitimately buy ONE piece of software, buy your OS. legit version runs a billion times better, and NOTHING works without the OS, it's the single most vital piece of software (actually it's a lot of pieces).

this is a VERY good point. if you only legitimately buy ONE piece of software, buy your OS. legit version runs a billion times better, and NOTHING works without the OS, it's the single most vital piece of software (actually it's a lot of pieces).

I agree, but MS's implementation is suspect, ie you can "buy" windows but can only run it on one machine, and they sample a "profile" of your machine (its hardware config) so that if you try to use that same product code again on a machine with a dissimilar hardware config, the red flag goes up and they require you to contact them. In essence, you can buy windows but only use it on one machine legally. If you sell your comp, have to buy windows for the new one again. I have bought enough OS' and such from them over the years (98 SE, 2000, xpHome, MS office, MS works) now that I am guilt free in my now lovely running Panthip purchased windows xpPro 2006 fully updated and sp2 integrated version. Side note: My current 3 dollar version I will say is the best and fastest running version of XP that I have ever used.