Why is American English so prevalent in Thailand?

garfield

For f*cks sake.

It's because American sh*t is everwhere!

It's got sweet FA to do with language!

Can't you all see that the grand ole yoo ess of f*cking A has it's fingers in every freaking pie there is!?!?!?!???????

American English doesn't even exist!!!

It's imported from f*cking hollywood!!!

It's not about national security. It's about sonme shitheads who want to own your f*cking lives.

You stupid people.

If you think, even for one moment, that ygou have even the remotest control over what will hapen to you in the future as things stand right now, then you deserve your fate.

Bush, his entire family and every single one of his cronies should be shot in the head on primetime TV to show the world that the AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE AND NOT JUST SLAVES TO THEIR POWERMONGERING MASTERS!!!!

WAKE THE F*CK UP!!!!!!!!!

jeez, Louise.

why care about such things one cannot control or influence in any way?

There are clear reasons why American dominates so much of the world in so many ways these days. It is because they are the dominant economy. The brits were a few hundred years ago but they are not now. So it is logical to expect that language reflects this.

... I thought it was the invasion of 1066 by William of Normandy who we have to thank for modern English. Otherwise we would speak some weird German language.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the english language was derieved from the Uk

Dead wrong.

English originated from the German language.

correction: not only German..... there is a very strong Dutch influence in the English language..... got to do with the fact that we have been neighbours, friends, enemies and fellow competitors for world dominance lol...

But I will be honest also... Dutch is from the same language family as German.... :lol:

..here's how it is.............everybody wanted the island

...all Scandinavians, all mainland Europeans.....

...it was the perfect place to defend, to build an empire.....so basically the island was constantly bombarded by every nation possible.

...this made the English language a mixture of eveything....Dutch, German, Latin, Spanish, Danish, Swedish....blah...blah..blah...

........It is a bastard language made up from many fathers who can't claim precedence.....(I use the term bastard in the same manner as a female dog is a *****.)

....So.....the story continues.....the 'Angles'.....had their mongrel language.

..Then Europe found America........claimed it for their own and 'advertised the promised land'.

..This brought an influx much similar to that of the "claiming of Britain", but on a much larger scale....so men and women of all languages came and landed on the east coast of America looking for their 'dream'.

...English was the chosen language because it was already a common language due to it's "sum of all parts" origin.....

...Then the great moment when "American English" was born.....much the same as the bastardisation that led to proper English....but this time, people spoke in a 'pigeon' English already....(pigeon English being, broken English)...

...so American English was the child of people speaking bad English and their own languages...

...as English was already a bastard language....American English can only ever be...

..."the son of a bastard language".......

...I make this assumption based on fact...not personal opinion of course...

.....I am a big fan of American English and particularly enjoy watching words changed, mis-spelled, raped and destroyed....because that is the American way....

...American English is very similar to American foreign policy....

.....destroy....destroy....destroy......now it's ours...

a most excellent theory: ah merkin engrish is embraced far more by non-native speakers because a) non-native engrish speakers are, on average, a LOT smarter than native speakers, and B) they realized that the ah merkins had streamlined out the extra letters the poms use to spell words, thus making reading and writing easier to learn.

this, of course, is pure fact and has *nothing* to do with my sadistic delight in winding up the poms.

Dead wrong.

correction: not only German..... there is a very strong Dutch influence in the English language..... got to do with the fact that we have been neighbours, friends, enemies and fellow competitors for world dominance lol...

But I will be honest also... Dutch is from the same language family as German.... :lol:

Sorry to burst all of your bubbles but Engrish is a hussy language sleeping with everyone. Infact, its a member of the Indo-European family, including most of the languages spoken in Europe today. For the language nerds, the Indo-European family includes several major branches: Latin and the modern Romance languages (French etc.); the Germanic languages (English, German, Swedish etc.); the Indo-Iranian languages (Hindi, Urdu, Sanskrit etc.); the Slavic languages (Russian, Polish, Czech etc.); the Baltic languages of Latvian and Lithuanian; the Celtic languages (Welsh, Irish Gaelic etc.); Greek. Engrish will even take old cigarette butts from ash trays and smoke them too.. for example, we use the Japanese word Tsunami and the Malay word orangutan.... If loaning words cost money then English would have a massive bill. Germany, would you like to pick it up, ta?

you realize, of course, that *i* own exclusive asian distribution rights on the word "hussy." ROYALTIES! pay up *****.

otherwise defin8ly agree, but other languages do it to, enrish ain't the only hussy...

check-bin please.

PS amst-man: dutch is just German with a lot more knocking back of mucus :P

Dead wrong.

Sorry to burst all of your bubbles but Engrish is a hussy language sleeping with everyone. Infact, its a member of the Indo-European family, including most of the languages spoken in Europe today. For the language nerds, the Indo-European family includes several major branches: Latin and the modern Romance languages (French etc.); the Germanic languages (English, German, Swedish etc.); the Indo-Iranian languages (Hindi, Urdu, Sanskrit etc.); the Slavic languages (Russian, Polish, Czech etc.); the Baltic languages of Latvian and Lithuanian; the Celtic languages (Welsh, Irish Gaelic etc.); Greek. Engrish will even take old cigarette butts from ash trays and smoke them too.. for example, we use the Japanese word Tsunami and the Malay word orangutan.... If loaning words cost money then English would have a massive bill. Germany, would you like to pick it up, ta?

why am I quoted at the top??

..Are you citing precedence?....beacause I used the word bastard instead of hussy........

..so when you say 'we'....you refer to England...yes?

...ironically...'hussy' being a derivative of American English....

...shame on you!!! shame on you!!

..This is a clear example of the 'subversive' control that American English has over people......

..Mind control.....

ask yourself one question....everybody......

.."Am I inadvertantly speaking American English?".....if you are, there is help.

..I have started a group, it's been running for 2 years now.....

...A.E.A......American English Anonymous.

..we run a self help group for people who have been sucked into speaking American English....we call them "Poor Bastards".

..Every meeting starts with each person taking it in turn to admit their errors..

..."Hello my name is John and I am a poor bastard"

(everybody) " Hello John"

Fair play, but if a Hussy is going to rip off Hussy from a Hussy language and then claim patent over another hussy then that hussy must, at the very least, explain to that hussy what hussy history actually is... you hussy.

So, Hussy is an engrish word conjured up in the 16th Century but not in the pejorative form. Hussy was modified from the word Housewife and it mean simply mistress of the household. It even corresponded to a women of thrifty or orderly disposition. Then in the 17th century it took the meaning of rural women... and we all know what happened then... rural women moves to the city to find work, ends up selling her arse for gruel and by the 18th and 19th centuries "hussy" had become a slur on a par with "harlot" or "floozy (for which you are both Zeus). Look after it Zeus, you thrifty old women you.

..if you're going to argue with me, or slate me, then make sure your grammar is correct and your word selection appropriate. Otherwise I will have to recommend you join my A.E.A classes.....and being an Engishman that would be very humiliating.

...I had to edit this twice with spelling mistakes....imagine if you knew I had made spelling mistakes...

Fair play, but if a Hussy is going to rip off Hussy from a Hussy language and then claim patent over another hussy then that hussy must, at the very least, explain to that hussy what hussy history actually is... you hussy.

So, Hussy is an engrish word conjured up in the 16th Century but not in the pejorative form. Hussy was modified from the word Housewife and it mean simply mistress of the household. It even corresponded to a women of thrifty or orderly disposition. Then in the 17th century it took the meaning of rural women... and we all know what happened then... rural women moves to the city to find work, ends up selling her arse for gruel and by the 18th and 19th centuries "hussy" had become a slur on a par with "harlot" or "floozy (for which you are both Zeus). Look after it Zeus, you thrifty old women you.

..if you're going to argue with me, or slate me, then make sure your grammar is correct and your word selection appropriate. Otherwise I will have to recommend you join my A.E.A classes.....and being an Engishman that would be very humiliating.

...I had to edit this twice with spelling mistakes....imagine if you knew I had made spelling mistakes...

Ill fix my grammar if you promise to read carefully.... zeus?!?

..point taken

...(slowly returns to the hole from whence he came..)

Guest kristsj

Although I live in London, I realize that the language that you can hear in LA sounds very logical, comparing the way we talk in England (I`m talking about the pronouncing - the way the language... sounds).

Anyway, whoever started this thread, must be one of those blind patriots of England.

Ill fix my grammar if you promise to read carefully.... zeus?!?

hey i don't give a flying sideways turd in the gutter about the etymology, hussy, i just bought the distribution rights. it's all about the benjamins.

just to confuse everyone, i'm going to make a post on the original topic instead of digress.

one reason ah merkin english is widespread here is that a lot of ppl learn at american international schools. some locals send their kids to schools for expats. for example i just found out that a couple of my (mixed) friends didnt actually grow up in the US at all, even though they have perfect ah merkin accents :shock:

all this from ah merkin international schools.

Dead wrong.

..here's how it is.............everybody wanted the island

...all Scandinavians, all mainland Europeans.....

...it was the perfect place to defend, to build an empire.....so basically the island was constantly bombarded by every nation possible.

...this made the English language a mixture of eveything....Dutch, German, Latin, Spanish, Danish, Swedish....blah...blah..blah...

........It is a bastard language made up from many fathers who can't claim precedence.....(I use the term bastard in the same manner as a female dog is a b*tch.)

....So.....the story continues.....the 'Angles'.....had their mongrel language.

..Then Europe found America........claimed it for their own and 'advertised the promised land'.

..This brought an influx much similar to that of the "claiming of Britain", but on a much larger scale....so men and women of all languages came and landed on the east coast of America looking for their 'dream'.

...English was the chosen language because it was already a common language due to it's "sum of all parts" origin.....

...Then the great moment when "American English" was born.....much the same as the bastardisation that led to proper English....but this time, people spoke in a 'pigeon' English already....(pigeon English being, broken English)...

...so American English was the child of people speaking bad English and their own languages...

...as English was already a bastard language....American English can only ever be...

..."the son of a bastard language".......

...I make this assumption based on fact...not personal opinion of course...

.....I am a big fan of American English and particularly enjoy watching words changed, mis-spelled, raped and destroyed....because that is the American way....

...American English is very similar to American foreign policy....

.....destroy....destroy....destroy......now it's ours...

american english is what you get when you take 300 million descendents of immigrants from every nation in the world and mix them together. middle american, sortof the kind they speak in the midwest, but really the kind that is spoken by newscasters, the educated, and people in LA(Los Angeles) which couldn't have native english speakers until recently (because it was spanish and then mexican territory)hence speaks a mashup of all the regional american dialects and immigrant accents, and now exports its "culture" all over the world (movies/music).

american english is the bastard of all bastards. some guy from tunisia had a "sloppy 300millionth" poke and made his contribution. but that also makes it easy to understand and use, like opensource computer code.

the opposite of this is australian english, 17million inhabitants of an insular island given each other reacharounds and pillow talkin while theyre doin it until their little inside jokes and prisoner confessions of love can't be understood by anybody that hasn't "been inside"... for a longtime if not a lifetime.

of course even in america(especially?) there are groups that have been isolated and lead insular lives that speak dialects nearly impossible to understand. u go to the ghetto in Inglewood or Compton, an EZ drive from Hollywood and i DEFY u to tell me what those m*thrf*kkrs are talkinbout. they can have a wideopen conversation infront of you about cuttin yor throat and u would have no idea(documentaries filmed in the area often have subtitles so middle amerikkka can understand).

• 1 month later...
The most bothering factor of English is its name, English. By any other name it would be much more acceptable.

English is a comglomeration of languages. French, German, Italian, Spanish et al. It incorporates vocabulary from many other languages and its basis lies within other European languages. the fact that peoiple are anti the English language is simply because of its name.

It's close to many other languages and the "US English" arguement is as valid as the South African English one or the Australian English argument.

In fact it is a German, Danish, French, English, Italian, Greek and others language.

If it had another name there'd be no issue.

you know you're right. Same goes for dutch and belgian people (the dutch speaking ones)

The most bothering factor of English is its name, English. By any other name it would be much more acceptable.

English is a comglomeration of languages. French, German, Italian, Spanish et al. It incorporates vocabulary from many other languages and its basis lies within other European languages. the fact that peoiple are anti the English language is simply because of its name.

It's close to many other languages and the "US English" arguement is as valid as the South African English one or the Australian English argument.

In fact it is a German, Danish, French, English, Italian, Greek and others language.

yet strangely, it's called English"... and it's still a non-issue.

no it tisn't

no it tisn't

on what do you base this assertion that the English language being called the ENglish language is an issue? the fact that there's storm in a teacup over it on TF? if that is the case, then the most pressing issue of our time is old guys chasing young girls.

no it tisn't

on what do you base this assertion that the English language being called the ENglish language is an issue? the fact that there's storm in a teacup over it on TF? if that is the case, then the most pressing issue of our time is old guys chasing young girls.

no it tain't :lol:

The biggest influence on English today is from the former colonies that gained independence in 1776, and they have corrupted the language almost out of recognition

Oh, really. Shakespeare is generally regarded as the greatest exponent of the English language. What if he came back today and heard the language currently spoken in Great Britain? I'm sure he would say it has been corrupted almost out of recognition.

And it's all your fault.

"the former colonies that gained independence in 1776,..."

Still stewing over that, eh? tsk tsk tsk.

"the former colonies

And little did they know what a great country Australia turned out to be!!!!!!

Better weather good looking sheilas, and cold beer!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

hmmmm lemme see. you done wrong, we're gonna send you... on holiday? that's right mr criminal, nice beaches for you!

that engerland is some baaaadasss country.

and here they are today, wondering where it all went wrong. crying in their weak-ass beer about everything, even the corruption of the mother tongue. hey wait! i have an idea for the poms! blame the 'former colonies' ! (which, incidentally, begs the question of how they got to be 'former').