Brit teacher's 40 lashes.

dannyboy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was more like 85 Muslims. The place was Tak Bai. And it wasn't the police. It was the military, operating under the orders of the previous prime minister, who was in direct contact with them throughout the day and oversaw the operation.

Oh come on Loburt... I know you dont like Thaksin but lets not make things up.

What evidence do you have for such a ridiculous statement? And since when has the Thai PM directly controlled an operation like that? (As far as I remember he wasnt within 500 kms of the area.)

Yeah, and he wasn't anywhere near those 2,500 people murdered in his War on Drugs either.

The MUSLIM KIDS named the teddy Mo. NOT HER.

It helps to actually read the story before praising your own brilliance.

most definitely not saying that she deserved it, but shouldn't she have had at least a little bit of influence on the class? was she not the adult responsible for the class? i don't remember any of my classes growing up being allowed to name things without the teacher's approval. i was unaware that all my teachers were USMC drill instructors, apparently, and that a teacher having any control or influence over a class of young children is utterly irregular.

As stated earlier, obviously she did not know that this could be interpreted as insulting to Islam.

And if her Muslim students did not know, and chose the name on their own without her proposing it to them, why on earth would she suspect there was anything wrong with it?

Don't the parents of those students bear the responsibility for teaching their children what is acceptable and unacceptable in their own religion, as opposed to a foreign teacher of a different religion who was new to the country?

Maybe they should jail the parents and give them 40 lashes each for raising their kids to be blasphemers.

Blaming the victim (the teacher), in this instance, even to the slightest degree, is completely inappropriate.

Now this is what happened at Tak Bai according to Wikipedia

In October of 2004 the town of Tak Bai in Narathiwat province saw the most publicized incident of the insurgency. Six local men were arrested of having supplied weapons to insurgents. A demonstration was organized to demand their release and the police called in army reinforcements. The army used tear gas and water cannons on the crowd, and shooting started in which seven men were killed.

Hundreds of local people, mostly young men, were arrested. They were made to take off their shirts and lie on the ground. Their hands were tied behind their backs. Later that afternoon, they were thrown by soldiers into trucks to be taken to the Ingkayutthaboriharn army camp in the nearby province of Pattani. The prisoners were stacked five or six deep in the trucks, and by the time the trucks reached their destination five hours later, in the heat of the day, 78 men had suffocated to death.

Exactly what part of this operation do you think the PM was secretly controlling via mobile phone or lap top from back in Bangkok. It really doesnt sound very likely that he is going to suddenly get directly involved in crowd control or stacking prisoners in trucks. And if you are going to make such ludicrous accusations maybe you should site an iota of evidence.

I didn't use that word "control." You did. I said he was in contact with the military on the scene, and that's what I was told at the time by security officials here in Thailand.

I didn't write that he gave a direct order to stack people in trucks the manner that was done. If he was in contact the military on the ground and they were firing into crowds then he bears responsibility for that.

Even when pictures appeared showing this, he was still lying about it and saying those who were shot dead were killed by stray bullets. If he's clean, why did he ban all videos showing what happened at Tak Bai? If he's clean, why didn't he punish those responsible?

Less than a year after the incident, he promoted the officer in charge on the ground at Tak Bai that day Pisal Watanawong-khiree to full general.

Why would you reward an officer responsible for gross human rights violations, murder and disgracing the country in the eyes of the world, if he wasn't doing what you wanted him to do?

The Nation

April 2005

"Ukrit Pathamand of Chulalongkorn University was the only scholar who treated the situation in the South in an exclusively political context. In his paper, ?Thaksin?s Achilles heel: Why did the South go wrong?? he squarely blamed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra for his poor knowledge of the South, which has led to misunderstandings as well as mismanagement in the deepening crisis.

Ukrit said that four senior military officers involved in the Krue Se and Tak Bai incidents were ordered to act in a heavy-handed manner because Thaksin did not want to lose popularity with Thai Buddhists. "

You're certainly not going to claim he ordered them to take a soft approach now, are you?

The only investigation of the incident took place under Thaksin's government. It is widely regarded as a whitewash.

Once again, we have no record of him getting on the phone and ordering the deaths of 2,500 people in his War on Drugs. But do you really think the murderers were not acting on his orders? That of their own accord, over several months all around the country, they decided to slaughter thousands? Now that would be ludicrous.

As the death toll mounted, why didn't he stop it?

I know you love Thaksin, Robbie. But you shouldn't excuse those responsible for violence against the weak, powerless and innocent.

I didn't use that word "control." You did. I said he was in contact with the military on the scene, and that's what I was told at the time by security officials here in Thailand.

Now you are just being pedantic....

What you actually said was....

It was the military, operating under the orders of the previous prime minister, who was in direct contact with them throughout the day and oversaw the operation.

Sounds like you thought he was in charge to me....

But really you thought he took time off running the country (and his telecoms empire) to get involved with crowd control down south.... the military and all...

Now this is a great scandal - presumably this government that has totally failed to find anything against him that is really interesting - I mean sounds a lot more scandalous than the IFCT building auction - ought to be told.

(For the record I dont happen to 'like' Thaksin (and reckon we are all in big trouble if Samak etc were to win the forthcoming election). But, at the same time, I dont think that Thaksin is some kind of war criminal or much of a criminal of any kind for that matter. Maybe that should be rephrased to say 'in comparison' to Baharn, Chavalit, Chatichai etc...)

And you're misquoting, to try and bolster your failed argument, which is typical of you.

It was the military, operating under the orders of the previous prime minister, who was in direct contact with them throughout the day and oversaw the operation.

But really you thought he took time off running the country (and his telecoms empire) to get involved with crowd control down south.... the military and all...

Oh, so he was running his telecoms empire while he was prime minister?

Isn't that ILLEGAL?

If you have a violent incident taking place in the South involving several hundred people, being in contact with the commanders on the scene is part of running the country. Running the country requires more than rigging the SET. Dealing with the south has been a major part of running this country ever since Thaksin inflamed the situation down there with his violent policies. Violence seems to be a pattern with him. Is he innocent of the 2,500 Drug War murders too?

You say you don't like Thaksin, and yet you never fail to jump in and defend him at every opportunity - even when just about everyone else on the planet, including the UN, is criticizing him, like after Tak Bai.

I mean, really, you're starting to sound like that woman in Burma, Miriam Marshal Seagal.

This thread is supposed to be about the Brit teacher. Another poster raised Tak Bai in passing.

If you're so dedicated to defending your hero, why don't you start a thread about how innocent Thaksin is, so everyone else can get back on topic.

Loburt,

I seriously dont get it. What are you so obsessed about?

You have brought up Thaksin's "drug war murders" in 3 consecutive posts despite having no relevance to the topic or any responses. I am not obsessed with defending him (as far as I am concerned he should no longer be of relevance to the political landscape in this country) but you are obsessed by him.

It is people like you that are going to make half this country go out and vote for PPP.

(But if you think that you can accuse a former PM of being directly involved with one of the worst atrocities this country has seen in the past 30 years and not be picked up on it by somebody.... it would be a bit strange... not so?)

And you're misquoting, to try and bolster your failed argument, which is typical of you.

Oh, so he was running his telecoms empire while he was prime minister?

Isn't that ILLEGAL?

If you have a violent incident taking place in the South involving several hundred people, being in contact with the commanders on the scene is part of running the country. Running the country requires more than rigging the SET. Dealing with the south has been a major part of running this country ever since Thaksin inflamed the situation down there with his violent policies. Violence seems to be a pattern with him. Is he innocent of the 2,500 Drug War murders too?

You say you don't like Thaksin, and yet you never fail to jump in and defend him at every opportunity - even when just about everyone else on the planet, including the UN, is criticizing him, like after Tak Bai.

I mean, really, you're starting to sound like that woman in Burma, Miriam Marshal Seagal.

This thread is supposed to be about the Brit teacher. Another poster raised Tak Bai in passing.

If you're so dedicated to defending your hero, why don't you start a thread about how innocent Thaksin is, so everyone else can get back on topic.

k. loburt,

that not sounds mature at all.

you get to see where people look at things. (left/middle/or left?)

from what i see ...

rob is simply being in the middle, being fair. he didnt take taksin side nor defend him. i think, in general, rob looks at things from a fair point. he just wants to point out issues that seem to be true.

you (probably look from the opposite side) are probably too emotional when it comes to taksin or everything thats involved with him. i think you take it too personal.

being a thai myself, taksin is not a total villain to me. i dont like him now but I never hate him. i even liked him before. nobody is perfect. and i am a firm believer that people always learn from mistakes.

i personally, think that, besides k. anan panyarachoon, k. taksin was the best pm we had ever have in term of intelligence & vision. ( i am not talking about "morality")

the obvious problem that we have here in thailand is that people fail to understand that even if we dont think in the same way (especially, with politics) but we can live happily together.

k. taksin (pralang prachachon party) or k. aphist (democrat party) - we are all thai. whoever won the coming election or be the government. we will have to accept it with the civilised & calm way.

when people in power start twisting and distorting, perverting the laws and institutions of a country, not to advance democracy or the general welfare of the country as a whole, but to enrich themselves or advance a narrow agenda that benefits a very narrow slice of the population, then they cross the line from being politicians to being evil people. IT IS OK TO HATE SELF-SERVING MANIPULATIVE HYPOCRITES. THEY ARE EVIL.

both Taksin and George Bush (especially W.) fall into this category. Taksin was out for Taksin and didn't care f**kall for this country. he is an EVIL man. (if he is the best PM thai has/can produce, then hoooey, things are tougher than i thought).

And if her Muslim students did not know, and chose the name on their own without her proposing it to them, why on earth would she suspect there was anything wrong with it?

Look at it this way, if it were a local teacher, they probably would have taught the children otherwise, isn't that why they're in school for in the 1st place?....she F#$%D up, it's the biggest lesson of her career, poor woman:P........it just keeps coming lol

I have searched my heart and have drawn on my muslim country experience (sudan, saudi, uk lol) and................The children named the bear, the teacher just let them do it.

I don't think that she did anything wrong, to be honest. I wouldn't go insane if a muslim let some kids name a scruffy flee-ridden dog "Jesus" or Buddah for that matter, because it's just a name that is also used to name people. If you take offence over a teddy bear being named Muhammed, then you should probably take offence over any boys called Muhammed who grow up to become criminals (or anything less than perfectly behaved).

Can some muslims please comment

(But if you think that you can accuse a former PM of being directly involved with one of the worst atrocities this country has seen in the past 30 years and not be picked up on it by somebody.... it would be a bit strange... not so?)

Thaksin was PM when the killings occurred and was responsible for the policy of controlling/subduing the south. therefore when 84/85 ppl were killed/murdered it was a result of his policies/methods regardless of whether he actually ordered the army/police to stack the ppl in the trucks.

likewise the killing/murder of 2,500 ppl during his "war on drugs" were a direct result of a polcy formulated and implemented by him, therefore he was responsible for the deaths/murders even if he didn't actually pull the trigger.

k. loburt,

that not sounds mature at all.

you get to see where people look at things. (left/middle/or left?)

from what i see ...

rob is simply being in the middle, being fair. he didnt take taksin side nor defend him. i think, in general, rob looks at things from a fair point. he just wants to point out issues that seem to be true.

you (probably look from the opposite side) are probably too emotional when it comes to taksin or everything thats involved with him. i think you take it too personal.

being a thai myself, taksin is not a total villain to me. i dont like him now but I never hate him. i even liked him before. nobody is perfect. and i am a firm believer that people always learn from mistakes.

i personally, think that, besides k. anan panyarachoon, k. taksin was the best pm we had ever have in term of intelligence & vision. ( i am not talking about "morality")

the obvious problem that we have here in thailand is that people fail to understand that even if we dont think in the same way (especially, with politics) but we can live happily together.

k. taksin (pralang prachachon party) or k. aphist (democrat party) - we are all thai. whoever won the coming election or be the government. we will have to accept it with the civilised & calm way.

r u for f**king real ??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Loburt,

I seriously dont get it. What are you so obsessed about?

You have brought up Thaksin's "drug war murders" in 3 consecutive posts despite having no relevance to the topic or any responses. I am not obsessed with defending him (as far as I am concerned he should no longer be of relevance to the political landscape in this country) but you are obsessed by him.

It is people like you that are going to make half this country go out and vote for PPP.

I'm obsessed but you're not? You really are either delusional or not honest in the least.

If you think I'm the only person who believes Thaksin bears responsibility for Tak Bai, then you've got your head in the sand. Even a cursory search on the net will turn up plenty of sources linking or accusing him of responsibility.

Yes, I've brought up the drug war. The parallel is obvious, and so it is relevant - a policy of violence clearly initiated by Thaksin that resulted in the murders of more than a thousand completely innocent people,(a bigger atorcity than Tak Bai) and they are having a helluva time bringing any charges against him.

That doesn't mean he's innocent, by any means. The US government wasn't able to bring Al Capone to court for murder. Are you seriously going to suggest Capone wasn't a murderer? Same thing.

Half the people in this country are going to vote for the PPP because they are being paid to. It's people like you who keep this country a place where the corrupt and violent hold power and abuse others, but it's all okay because you're making money.

Now, I'm sure you will reply - because you are obsessed. Keep telling yourself you're not.

It's people like you who keep this country a place where the corrupt and violent hold power and abuse others, but it's all okay because you're making money.

Oh its all my fault now... Loburt get a grip...

(I guess you dont support Man City)

By the way when I think of all that GWB has achieved in his 'war on terror' I cant get too excited by the casualties in Thaksin's 'war on drugs'... but there you go...