ATM fees...150 baht!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know how much it cost's to cash a travellers cheque in Thailand !!! How much commision do they charge?At a bank!! Thank you!!!

I THINK there's no charge mate, you get a slightly better rate than you would cashing money, altho it's been a long time since ive used travellers cheque's here.

Does anyone know how much it cost's to cash a travellers cheque in Thailand !!! How much commision do they charge?At a bank!! Thank you!!!

I THINK there's no charge mate, you get a slightly better rate than you would cashing money, altho it's been a long time since ive used travellers cheque's here.

Thanks Stevie!!

travellers cheques r the way to go ... depending what comission they charge u at ur bank for issuing them and as stevie says u get a better exchange rate. if memory serves some place may charge around 20 baht per cheque for changing them !!!

UPDATE: Kasikorn has joined the legion of evil in charging 150 baht for atm transactions, over and above all the other charges (from your bank, etc).

Ayuthya Bank, however, doesn't seem to be. the key seems to be whether you rely on mastercard/visa for the currency exchange rate, or the bank itself. you click an acknowledgment that you are *not* going through mastercard and then they tell you the exchange rate (which was about 33.4 baht to the dollar if i recall). that's about 1.2 under the rate at XE.com, and i don't think i've ever gotten better than 1 under (may be wrong though).

if anyone knows the rate that other banks are charging on the exchange today, you might be able to tell if this is a good deal.

no telling how long it will last, either. Kasikorn didn't last very long. greedy pigdogs.

UPDATE: Kasikorn has joined the legion of evil in charging 150 baht for atm transactions, over and above all the other charges (from your bank, etc).

Ayuthya Bank, however, doesn't seem to be. the key seems to be whether you rely on mastercard/visa for the currency exchange rate, or the bank itself. you click an acknowledgment that you are *not* going through mastercard and then they tell you the exchange rate (which was about 33.4 baht to the dollar if i recall). that's about 1.2 under the rate at XE.com, and i don't think i've ever gotten better than 1 under (may be wrong though).

if anyone knows the rate that other banks are charging on the exchange today, you might be able to tell if this is a good deal.

no telling how long it will last, either. Kasikorn didn't last very long. greedy pigdogs.

Think it reflects the desperation of banks worldwide; they have gone from trying to make as much as possible out of sheer greed to trying to make as much as possible out of sheer panic.

I was charged 38 GBP for a returned direct debit the other week. The amount of the direct debit was 8.50 GBP!!! (and the funds to cover it were going in at 9am the next morning!)

Wow...that sucks. I just made a Kasikorn withdrawal a few days ago...will check the rate I got on that day and post it. I don't see many Ayuthya machines, though...boo hiss.

anyone know of alternatives to ATMs for people who are already here and don't have travellers checks?

for example, has anyone tried using their atm card to get cash from a real live bank teller? if you have, did they charge? if not, can someone try it?

i already took out my money for at least the next week so won't be me at least not right away...

• 1 month later...
for example, has anyone tried using their atm card to get cash from a real live bank teller? if you have, did they charge? if not, can someone try it? .

Did you try this Zeus? Do real live tellers still exist as the ones at my bank always seem to be in a daydream state.

Seems that UOB is now the bank NOT charging the fee (I did a tour of ATMs at CentralWorld the other day).

there are a few banks that don't charge - i found one UOB in Chaing Mai.

The Ayathaya is a a rip off, 2baht for conversion difference is a much more that 150

if you withdraw 600$ at 2 baht every $1 that 1200 baht ... do the math

thanks Marc --- typo... >:(

as it happens i did the math and it's not a question of one or the other being a ripoff, they BOTH are. it's a question of finding the least painful alternative.

5,000 baht from Kasikorn with the fee: $156.20

5,000 baht from ayuthaya with the lower exchange rate: $156.59.

the difference is negligible and may favor ayuthaya a bit as the dollar lost half a baht between the two transactions.

5,000 is the breakeven, at 5,000 any differences will be negligible. if you are taking out less then you should go to ayuthaya; more than 5,000 kasikorn (or similar with the 150 baht fee).

i haven't found a UOB in Bangkok that will take my card so can't comment on that. anyone spots atms in bkk that don't charge 150 post it up in here.

UOB deffo have the better exchange rate AND no 150 baht fee, for however long it lasts. good spot there, digitalcat.

if you know where there's a UOB ATM, post it!

i used the one on the BTS platform at On Nut. it's opposite the ticket booths just before you go through the turnstile on the Tesco end of the platform (the end closest to the front of outbound trains).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...