What gifts are uniquely Thai?

digitalcat

I am going back to visit fam and friends and wanted to share a bit of Thailand with them.

Since I cant bring Som Tam, I'd really like some tips from you guys.

The last time I did a cheap cop-out and bought lots of silk and handmade items that were cool but not necessarily Thai.

One of my friends had a kid so I'd love to get something for the baby.

My grandma asked me about black pearls which I couldn't find the last time.

My mom wanted traditional Thai music, and I'm not 100% whether I want to get her Thai country, pop rock or the older traditional stuff.

When it comes to the other friends and family I have no idea what to get them. Something that is uniquely Thai but very cool.

Anyone care to throw some suggestions?

Thanks

\V

My grandma asked me about black pearls which I couldn't find the last time.

My mom wanted traditional Thai music, and I'm not 100% whether I want to get her Thai country, pop rock or the older traditional stuff.

When it comes to the other friends and family I have no idea what to get them. Something that is uniquely Thai but very cool.

\V

1. a kind of stone in Rutchaburi (nice thai style cutting) you can get at yoawarat also

2. at mbk you can find thai song the shop name "Mea mai pleng thai" Ground floor

3.others can get some kind of spa stuffs, thai herb,women accessories ... can get at jj... mbk... soi lalaisup ...silom

4. for babies i recommend "Pla tapean" a kind of mobiles ... nice and mean grow up ... sucess ... in bangkok can find at JJ

Thai gold. 1baht, 2baht, 5baht, bracelets, or chains. That is truly Thai, and something everyone just loves.

hmm but the gold although popular and high carat in Thailand, it really is that ugly yellow stuff that resembles 'fool's gold' to the westerner (harsh but true)

You can pick up all kinds of stuff at Suan Lum Night Bazaar, although i've struggled at night markets to find anything of real interest. I was lucky, my mother and father visited me here so they could browse themselves.

Sweetiebabie's ideas are pretty good.

@SweetieBabie - Thank you :)

I'm not sure if beauty products is screaming THAI to anyone that doesn't know Thai culture, but I'm definitely get some for the fam. When I went to Israel I got dead sea salts but those Scream Israel because they are from the dead sea. I wanted to get something that would be nearly impossible to obtain without actually being here.

@koolbreez - I have no idea what those are, but I'll def google them. :)

@faycyber - Excellent! I will sucker some girl into hanging out with me and get her to drive me around under the guise of I'm just curious to see that place and that place... oh you like malls? I love MBK, ever heard of "Mea mai pleng thai" yes i looooveeeeee thai songs... eapecially the children of the field stuff :D

Thanks a lot for giving me the store names. Last time my friend told me to go to this area... where I spent countless hours wasting my time.

@si6 I live 5 minutes from Suam Lum, I'll swing by there this week. Thanks.

Propaganda is a great shop - Emporium 4th floor - and it has stuff that shows a uniquely Thai sense of humor.

Walk around Jatujak market any saturday, sunday and see tons of stuff that is uniquely thai.

go to Saphan Kwai BTS station and go down exit 3 and starting from the post office down the street see thousands of buddist ornaments, Pra Ong or Buddha Images, statues, Prik (phallic symbols) and tons of uniquely thai stuff. This market is open weekends.

while you are up north, why do not you get something like those silver jewelery that hill-tribe people makes? It's rare and collectible.

call me hi-so on this one, but i like Jim Thompson's products.

I like Jim Thompson's products also. I got a bag form Jim's for my mother-in-law, she loves it ( or pretends to love it, only God knows).

A Thai daughter-in-law is truly a gift from Thailand" .

You're damn right. :D But a mother in-law is definitely NOT a gift.

A Thai daughter-in-law is truly a gift from Thailand. :P

I had a feeling some smart @$$ would say that, and it happened to be the smartest smart-ass on TF. My immediate response would be "only when I am ready to collect on their death insurance". LOL

The hiltribes is not a bad idea, I'm going back to Pai to drop of my unsold bike... I just may stop 4 some silver stuff.

Jim Thompson's products, what are those?

@falangboy- cool ideas, maybe getting movies would be so bad... my friends are geeks and have downloaded every software of bit-turrentns :)

@pjack & Gorgeous thank you i'll check those out.

@toma - and the smart ass #2 award goes tooooooo. *drumroll*

• 1 year later...

For men, some ethnic hilltribe woven shirt - looks great with those blue jeans, for ladies maybe the Hmong textile bags or Akhar handmade accessories. When you are in Chiangmai, there will be better opportunities to buy directly from the village. If you have time, go Thaton, 3 hrs' ride from Chiangmai and you can get a feel of sleepy, small-town Thailand and there you can hope onto a boat to Chiang Rai.