3. BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA

4. DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

5. THESSALONIKI, GREECE

6. LA PAZ, BOLIVIA

7. CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA

8. BAKU, AZERBAIJAN

9. AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND

10. TEL AVIV, ISRAEL

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/the-worlds-top-10-party-towns-20091118-im4q.html (Sorry, I forgot to post the article link)

Not sure how Baku, Auckland and Dubai made it over many other cities. What about Rio, Barca, Berlin, Paris or Prague to name a few?

Any thoughts on your top ten?

Surprised a few didn't get on there:

Sydney, Australia

Bangkok, Thailand

Budapest, Hungary

Any, UK

Full moon party, Thailand

Beirut, Lebanon

Singapore

New York, USA

Dublin, Ireland

Albufeira, Portugal

Faliraki, Greece

Las Vegas, USA <<< how on earth could that not make list!

The list in massive of the places that could easily walk into that top 10

surprised Barca is not on that list; def one of my favourite cities to visit on a party mission.

Budapest is also great and would give a mention to Sarajevo as well.

Amsterdam still rocks, despite the crack down on drugs in the last year or 2, and is always good for a weekend away.

In the UK, my favourite city is probably Manchester; there's always been more of an affinity in the music scenes between Northern England and Scotland than Northern and Southern England, so there have always been class gigs and clubs to visit. And have always had a warm welcome and plenty of after party invites while there.

Amsterdam still rocks, despite the crack down on drugs in the last year or 2, and is always good for a weekend away.

Despite the expense (and then some) Reykjavik is also a cracking destination.

Best Hogmanay spot is definitely Edinburgh for the big party or Glasgow for a succession of parties!!

Would love to know what criteria Lonely Planet used for this list. They seem to be moving away from the 'backpacker' market a bit.

:D

surprised Barca is not on that list; def one of my favourite cities to visit on a party mission.

In the UK, my favourite city is probably Manchester; there's always been more of an affinity in the music scenes between Northern England and Scotland than Northern and Southern England, so there have always been class gigs and clubs to visit. And have always had a warm welcome and plenty of after party invites while there.

Best Hogmanay spot is definitely Edinburgh for the big party or Glasgow for a succession of parties!!

Would love to know what criteria Lonely Planet used for this list. They seem to be moving away from the 'backpacker' market a bit.

Have you just come back from there Iain? Memory a bit hazy?

Surprised a few didn't get on there:

Sydney, Australia

Bangkok, Thailand

Budapest, Hungary

Any, UK

Full moon party, Thailand

Beirut, Lebanon

Singapore

New York, USA

Dublin, Ireland

Albufeira, Portugal

Faliraki, Greece

Las Vegas, USA <<< how on earth could that not make list!

The list in massive of the places that could easily walk into that top 10

If you are going to include those two you may as well include an easyjet location flooded by thousands of pissed up teenage Brits every summer.

Yes i did Faliraki as a 19 year old and Albufeira as a 22 year old (whilst in Portugal for Euro 2004) where i saw a full on riot and made it on to Sky News just as i was getting in the following morning.

Definitely Agree that Las Vegas should be there and special mention to San Francisco.

What about Pattaya :lol:

:lol::lol:

No, had noticed the Amsterdam mention was in the middle of me talking bout the UK, so copied and pasted it to above it. But then forgot to delete the original bit. Doh!!! And nothing to do with the post work Nepalese relaxant.

:wink:

it depends on yr definition of a party...

what are they basing these on?

Cause NY is good for one kinda party and Full moon for another...

know what I mean?

Yes totally- every city can have a great party but it will always be different.

I said Falaraki because it exists only to party- it's not a particularly nice place, but it definitely is for some people the epitome of party.

Some people would hate full moon party many adore it.

You can also have an amazing party in a packed upmarket bar, with champagne flowing.

10-20 people with a bbq and beer on a beach and a big fire can be a cool party.

There's certainly no set rule of what makes an awesome party. It often depends on my mood as to what I want on a particular night out. Some of best nights out i've ever had involve 3-4 mates in a not packed bar maybe meeting a few new people etc.

All my friends from Europe said the same thing that once they came to BKK, the parties back home had become so DULL!!! :lol:

So far, I still think BKK is the best!

Full moon is alright, depends on who you're with I guess

I LOVE AMSTERDAM, although I still havent got a chance to go to Sensation White or Dance Valley!!

I heard SYDNEY/MELBOURNE are awesome, esp Park life?! Hoping to make it there soon!

I've always wanted to go to IBIZA and Las Vegas, but I'm thinking maybe I'm too old to go so wild like that now.......... sigh :roll:

:lol::lol:

No, had noticed the Amsterdam mention was in the middle of me talking bout the UK, so copied and pasted it to above it. But then forgot to delete the original bit. Doh!!! And nothing to do with the post work Nepalese relaxant.

:wink:

Jaysus whats the crackdown on drugs in Amsterdam all about ? My brother is getting married over there next year and i had planned on going to the wedding.

If there's a drugs clampdown well......we aint really that close 8)

Went to Prague not so long back, was flat out party @ night, and in the day, amazin cobbled streets, great bars / restaurants etc & surrounded by amazing architecture. Lots of eye candy too. :wink:

Just makes it in my top 10, worth a trip if ya get chance

Tokyo now thats one right at the top, (drains your wallet though)

Went to Prague not so long back, was flat out party @ night, and in the day, amazin cobbled streets, great bars / restaurants etc & surrounded by amazing architecture. Lots of eye candy too. :wink:

Just makes it in my top 10, worth a trip if ya get chance

Tokyo now thats one right at the top, (drains your wallet though)

Prague's lost the plot a bit in the last ten years; was great till about 97/98, but now it's full of pissed up hen and stag parties. Still some of the most gorgeous girls in Europe though. :D