OMG! State of Emergency

admin

::yawn::

Has the declared state of emergency had any impact on anyone? I see the red shirts out in front of my place as usual. They still have Ratchadamri/Phloen Chit intersection pretty much closed to normal traffic.

Did it have any impact with the Pad protests in Sept 09 after the 2nd Sept incident?

No.

The only impact it will have is that news services around the world announce that Bangkok is in a state of emergency and thus some will cancel their business and tourists trips.

The application of the ISA is broad enough in terms of arrest and detention powers. The SOE grants some more proscribed powers if required for Suthep and co but seems more show than substance.

TF events should note one provision:

banning public gatherings of over five people
:lol:

Actually, I have noticed only two things:

1. The brother of one of my best friends is in Chiang Mai on business and was going to come down and visit this weekend. His employer forbid him from traveling to Bangkok due to the state of emergency.

2. One of my best mates is in the Philippines on business and emailed me and told me that I was free to stay with him until things cooled down in Bangkok. Oh, and this dude normally resides in Israel so it's not like he's someone who is unfamiliar with tense situations.

So maybe like LG said, the biggest impact of the state of emergency is people think I'm dodging rockets and gunfire to go to Soi 22 and get drunk with Rob.

Has the declared state of emergency had any impact on anyone? ...........

Godammit...that is REALLY inconvenient...having to count people all the time BEFORE I go into a bar....dont want to get arrested after all....do the dancers count in the total or could they simply be considered as decoration...?

Godammit...that is REALLY inconvenient...having to count people all the time BEFORE I go into a bar....dont want to get arrested after all....do the dancers count in the total or could they simply be considered as decoration...?

5 ppl and talk about politics ja...

5 ppl and talk about politics ja...

They will be talking about the politics of women!

I did notice that UBC changed their channel assignments yet again.

Like now it takes a full 2 minutes to get from Dog Whisperer to that French Channel.

And those Future Channles still show d*ck all. Insider information I wonder?

As long as the 24 hr panda channel is still running all is ok for the masses!

I did notice that UBC changed their channel assignments yet again.

Like now it takes a full 2 minutes to get from Dog Whisperer to that French Channel.

And those Future Channles still show d*ck all. Insider information I wonder?

As long as the 24 hr panda channel is still running all is ok for the masses!

You bastard!!!

24 hours of that was my next fabulous prize!!!

Has the declared state of emergency had any impact on anyone? I see the red shirts out in front of my place as usual. They still have Ratchadamri/Phloen Chit intersection pretty much closed to normal traffic.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100410/D9F0DK500.html

Still yawning? What's it going to take to wake y'all up? 15 dead around "Democracy" Monument and Khao San Rd. and at least 678 injured. Happy Thai New Year!! Enjoy the water assault!! Or is that bullets and grenades?

Baaaaaaah. You should all be safe in the bars. Let's party!!!! Carry on.......

Looks like time to bring back the only elected PM: Thaksin Shinawatra.

Still yawning? What's it going to take to wake y'all up? 15 dead around "Democracy" Monument and Khao San Rd. and at least 678 injured. Happy Thai New Year!! Enjoy the water assault!! Or is that bullets and grenades?

Errm didn't 2500 get killed when Thaksin was in power...

Oh and Krue Se - that was a further 75...

And Tak Bai... there were another 87...

And the mishandling of the SARS and Bird Flu epidemics lost how many lives?

And if Thaksin wasn't pulling the strings of these UDD leaders, those 15 people wouldn't have been killed.

Looks like time to bring your memory next time you want to post.

Do you SERIOUSLY believe bringing Thaksin back is the answer? Seriously? How the Hell is that gonna help? How is that going to heal divisions?

Jesus! Did you even THINK what you were posting before you clicked on that 'submit' button?

Errm didn't 2500 get killed when Thaksin was in power...

Didn't this have something to do with his "criminal purge?" Yes or no; no matter. Details forthcoming......

And Tak Bai... there were another 87...

And the mishandling of the SARS and Bird Flu epidemics lost how many lives?

Never heard of these places; know nothing about them. That doesn't mean you're wrong; only they have no bearing on what I posted.

And if Thaksin wasn't pulling the strings of these UDD leaders, those 15 people wouldn't have been killed.

Maybe; maybe not. I don't claim to know or care, meaning, it's neither my place nor do I have any say in what or how it happens. Getting the gist yet?

Looks like time to bring your memory next time you want to post.

Uh no. It's understandable my post was misinterpreted as a pro-Shinawatra rant. Here comes the correction.

Do you SERIOUSLY believe bringing Thaksin back is the answer? Seriously? How the Hell is that gonna help? How is that going to heal divisions?

No I don't. All I know is the guy IS the only ELECTED PM out of the two in question. Oh and divisions will be healed when the country takes educating it underclass more seriously than it does now; in effect raising the country from third to second world like Singapore or Malaysia. But more to the point:

I'm happy to admit I don't know or care who the PM is. But I find it rather a joke when I see the sarcastic post "OMG State of Emergency" two days before the bullets fly and 15 end up dead NOT in those far flung places mentioned above but just 'round the corner from where most y'all reside, Democracy Monument and Khao San. Are y'all still "yawning" now or is that a raised eyebrow I see?

This attitude Thailand is the still greatest thing since sliced bread as the political situation deteriorates and the stupid non-citizen and therefore non-voting farang has more to say on the matter than the Thais themselves is quite laughable..........until, God forbid, someone you know ends up shot or worse. Sorry; the "But I live here so I have a say" reason ain't cutting it anymore when a minor civil war is breaking out in what is essentially your back yard. Are the girls REALLY that important? Is the west REALLY so terrible? Are many of you REALLY THAT CLUELESS? Ball's in your court........

Jesus! Did you even THINK what you were posting before you clicked on that 'submit' button?

With this crowd, all the time.

So where are those journals with photos from the "happy red people" now, gentlemen... anyone? :roll:

Another 'i told you so' kind of post but contributes absolutely nothing on the political threads.. Go back to your bar mate

Just exactly when does it become dire enough to maybe consider leaving the bar in your opinion, Mate?

Didn't this have something to do with his "criminal purge?" Yes or no; no matter. Details forthcoming......

That errr 'criminal purge' was brilliant, innocent people were getting murdered left right and centre, vendettas were settled by anyone with a bit of power and nothing more was said.

Remember those two older ladies who were said to have 'Loads of spare cash' they were assumed to be drug dealers, had both their heads blown off..... then they were found to have just won the lottery!!!

Oh and...

And Tak Bai... there were another 87..

You don't know Tak Bai... you don't know Kru Seh... you don't know the facts about the War on Drugs?

I presume you know Thaksin was called a "human rights abuser of the worst kind" by UN reports?

And then there is the question of his victorious election...

1) UN observers were not allowed to attend under a direct ruling by Thaksin

2) Voting booths were repositioned to prevent privacy whilst casting a vote

3) The elction was found to have been fraudulent and the PPP party was dissolved.

Abhisit was elected to the house by a committee under the SAME process that Thaksin's two predecessors were... and nobody complain on those two occasions.

UDD want to dissolve the house in 15 days... is there any reason why they can't wait 36 weeks as offered by Abhisit in their last meeting? What's the rush? Only one - to push through an election and constitution change to provide a whitewash for the criminal Thaksin.

Seems like you are just dabbling in Thai politics without much thought or knowledge... Casting stones about people being in bars and chasing girls isn't very constructive... I drink and I like girls - does that make me less worthy to discuss these matters?

You don't know Tak Bai... you don't know Kru Seh... you don't know the facts about the War on Drugs?

I presume you know Thaksin was called a "human rights abuser of the worst kind" by UN reports?

And then there is the question of his victorious election...

1) UN observers were not allowed to attend under a direct ruling by Thaksin

2) Voting booths were repositioned to prevent privacy whilst casting a vote

3) The elction was found to have been fraudulent and the PPP party was dissolved.

Abhisit was elected to the house by a committee under the SAME process that Thaksin's two predecessors were... and nobody complain on those two occasions.

UDD want to dissolve the house in 15 days... is there any reason why they can't wait 36 weeks as offered by Abhisit in their last meeting? What's the rush? Only one - to push through an election and constitution change to provide a whitewash for the criminal Thaksin.

Seems like you are just dabbling in Thai politics without much thought or knowledge... Casting stones about people being in bars and chasing girls isn't very constructive... I drink and I like girls - does that make me less worthy to discuss these matters?

Not less worthy...I've already acknowledged that. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR OPINION IS, RIGHT OR WRONG; unless you're a citizen. You can discuss all you want AND BE RIGHT. I'm saying you're wasting your time; here or anywhere else.

I drink, party and love girls as well. The question remains: Opinions aside, at what point does it become "not worth it anymore?" I'm not saying this degrades into full out civil war. But how far does it need to go before you (or anyone else there) decide the "benefits" no longer outweigh the risks? For many of the more dense there, nothing would make them leave. Western girls, prices and culture? They'd rather be dead and might get their wish.

I have no interest in Thai politics part because I couldn't affect an outcome. I'm only interested in its degradation as it would affect me if I was there.

I'm not sure I understand your point...

Our discussions here are based mainly on our experiences of what we have seen. We share warnings and observations and we express our opinions.

Is your point that we shouldn't discuss it because we are white?

Or because we can't make a difference?

Or a third option I can't see yet?

In the first case, I guess you know I'm going to say we can discuss whatever we want on an open forum - doesn't matter about our race, our opinions are valid as we (mostly) live here.

In the second case, I disagree. I think we can make a difference. I join demonstrations (I was at one this morning), I participate in forums and spread (my version of) the truth to people in other countries.

As was posted earlier in this forum, "One man can make a difference and every man should try."

Nope. Heard of Bill Heineke? He's a voting citizen; full fledged Thai. Are you? If not, I'm saying it's a waste of your time. It's the Thais' business to work out; right now they're "working it out" by flying bullets at each other.

I suppose you could "make a difference." Is it worth risking your life for? In a foreign country? Is it that important? It wouldn't be for me.

In the first case, I guess you know I'm going to say we can discuss whatever we want on an open forum - doesn't matter about our race, our opinions are valid as we (mostly) live here.

In the second case, I disagree. I think we can make a difference. I join demonstrations (I was at one this morning), I participate in forums and spread (my version of) the truth to people in other countries.

Reference above. Do you really want to find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time "fighting for your beliefs" as it were in a third world country that makes it near impossible to become a citizen of?

As was posted earlier in this forum, "One man can make a difference and every man should try."

Yeah but where do you draw the line? Willing to take a bullet for whatever this is? IN SOME COUNTRY OTHER THAN YOUR NATIVE?!? Or more to the point: how long are you willing to stick around there if conditions deteriorate further?

So you are simply posting because you are concerned for my well-being?

Thanks.

But please don't worry about my time - I'm watching TV and posting when the ads come on.

Would I take a bullet? Well, not deliberately, of course. I don't mind taking a risk every now and again, but within reason.

But it's kind of you to worry.

Oh and how long will I stick around if conditions worsen? I can't answer that yet. I've been here 8 years, seen a few of these things and I was here for the last coup. I guess I'll leave when I think there's no hope.

Nope. Heard of Bill Heineke? He's a voting citizen; full fledged Thai. Are you? If not, I'm saying it's a waste of your time. It's the Thais' business to work out; right now they're "working it out" by flying bullets at each other.

I suppose you could "make a difference." Is it worth risking your life for? In a foreign country? Is it that important? It wouldn't be for me.

Reference above. Do you really want to find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time "fighting for your beliefs" as it were in a third world country that makes it near impossible to become a citizen of?

Yeah but where do you draw the line? Willing to take a bullet for whatever this is? IN SOME COUNTRY OTHER THAN YOUR NATIVE?!? Or more to the point: how long are you willing to stick around there if conditions deteriorate further?

Maybe we're not Nationalistic fucks like yourself?

I've spent almost half my life in Thailand, I'm married to a Thai, and own property and a business here.... no matter where I am living in the world I'd like to think I personally could make a difference and help the COMMUNITY I live in.

Maybe we're not Nationalistic fucks like yourself?

I've spent almost half my life in Thailand, I'm married to a Thai, and own property and a business here.... no matter where I am living in the world I'd like to think I personally could make a difference and help the COMMUNITY I live in.

+1 and Dave also! :)