Are you a Christian?

Deester

1)as angel-master said, organized religion is all about control. and the peaceful ones mostly get eliminated by the aggressive

2)"God" is a metaphor, not just JC as a son of "God". the concept allows the average human to wrap his mind around something he really has no chance in Hell of comprehending. (everyone that can truly imagine INFINITY, raise your hand!)

3)as a wise old cowboy once said, someone who did three tours of duty in the jungles of SE Asia ("window into wisdom"), kill or be killed, "the one thing i know Kid? the worms will get ya!"

4)ALL HAIL the beautiful, the firm, and the pear-shaped, as it is TRULY the earthly embodiment of the voluptuous, dazzling, Universe.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1)as angel-master said, organized religion is all about control. and the peaceful ones mostly get eliminated by the aggressive

2)"God" is a metaphor...

Some religious organisations may be about control, but few religions are about control. They are systems of belief, usually including moral codes. The control freaks are politicians pretending to be religious leaders. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

God has only become a metaphor since The Enlightenment declared him as dead. After millions of years its only in the last few decades that many people don't believe in a literal god. And you ask the millions of church going Westerners or billions of followers of religions worldwide what they think god is... a metaphor? more likely they'd say the big guy(?) that made everything. You're part of a small group of you believe god is a metaphor.

because millions/billions believe, it doesn't make it true. until very recently, the vast majority of people believed the earth was flat, and the sun revolved around the earth. only a few lunatics believed any differently. people were tortured and killed over the idea.

as far as the baby out with the bathwater, there's very little real altruism in the world. when people bother to organize, it is usually about control, or making money, or controlling in order to make money. i'd put any organized religion you can name into that pot. as the native Hawaiians say of the christian missionaries, "they came to the Islands to do good, and they did very well."

moral codes? sometimes they're valid and necessary. a lot of times it's one group of guys making sure that they're going to get more ***** than the next.

you do bring up one very valid point: the human brain evolves slowly. religion/superstition are going to be with us for a long time yet, and most certainly will be the source of plenty of pain/murder/misery in the years to come. BLIND, UNQUESTIONING FAITH in anything, even atheism, that's where the problems arise. believe in what you can touch. yeah. which brings us to...

5)the only difference between cult and a religion is the number of believers

so how to we get this BUTT thing over the HUMP?

ps: i begrudge no one their beliefs. whatever gets you down the road. just as long as you don't come steppin on my flow/tellin me how it should be done.

religion is a very sensitive subject, so apologies for any offense caused. but i do have an excuse: i've been persecuted/proselytized at/preached to by know-it-all, arrogant, religious zealots as long as i can remember. that's one of the things i love about this country. it seems remarkably free of them.

poeple in general are weak. they need something to hold on to. it could be anything - it's not necessarily religions.

Yes, I think that is true. We all have an emotional need for someting solid, constant, and unchanging in our lives to build around, a point of reference. It can be anything that satisfies this need. Some people seem strong because they have this need met very well in some way. Others seem week because they do not.

You don't need to bring heroin into it! Just look for the guys with the long brown hair and beards....

--Ling

why not bring heroin into it? "jesus' son" was a very good book. and a lot shorter than The Good Book. and written more recently so easier to decipher (i have yet to figure out where to get the cattle i'm supposed to give people i've wronged, as per the bible's instructions).

the movie was an earnest attempt at making an artsy film about junkies but missed the mark IMO.

as to the concept of whether billions of people believing something makes it true, hopefully it's obvious to most people that the only thing billions of people believing in something proves is ... that billions of people believe in it.

i tend to believe in just about nothing--only those things that are testable or verifiable, or can be concluded directly from experience, and then only on a provisional basis. that really leaves most of what goes on in the realm of speculation and guesswork.

whether or not God actually exists is a separate question, but i do believe that people in general would invent God if 'he' didnt. people need to beleive in something, it seems. we also seem utterly incapable of believing that anything can happen without some mastermind designing it.

quite possibly we are 'hard wired' for religious feelings, it might have been a survival mechanism at some point. of course, if there is a God 'he' would have been sensible to intall the aforementioned wiring...

we also seem utterly incapable of believing that anything can happen without some mastermind designing it.

"Daddy" didn't make it so. it just is. like you say this is the hard part. it is the scary part. nobody lookin out for us. nobody thinks we're a chosen people. "motherfuckers, sink or swim. it's all up to you." make a mistake and you're some forgotten moldy bit of history that nobody remembers... and maybe never really existed... cause there's nobody there to remember whether or not it did. exist. the black void, going on forever. cold and hard and harsh. you're just a little bitty greazy fleck, floating in all a that.

Lady, can i touch yor ass? it looks soft and warm, and somehow... inviting.