Samak Resigns

Administrator

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=130527

(BangkokPost.com)

The Constitution Court ruled in a unanimous verdict on Tuesday that the two TV cooking shows of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej violated the charter ban on outside employment and ordered him to leave office immediately.

The 9-0 vote of the judges removes Mr Samak from office effective immediately, but leaves the way open for his return if he can persuade parliament to return him to the office. For now:

"His premiership is over, and the term of the cabinet has also expired, although according to the constitution they must remain as an acting government until there is a new prime minister and cabinet," said Constitution Court Judge Chat Chawakorn.

Under the charter, members of the cabinet except Mr Samak will continue to perform their duties as caretaker ministers until a new cabinet is appointed.

The first deputy prime minister, Somchai Wongsawat, will be caretaker prime minister.

Supporters of anti-government group People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), who have seized the Government House, screamed with happiness after hearing the verdict.

Deputy leader of People Power party (PPP) Karn Thiankaew said after the verdict that PPP respects the ruling.

Earlier Tuesday, PPP spokesman Kudep Saikrachang said party members will vote Mr Samak back in as leader of the government.

"Executive members of the PPP will propose that leaders of coalition partners support Mr Samak to remain as prime minister, although some have proposed that Chart Thai party leader Banharn Silpa-archa assume the post," said PPP MP Witthaya. Buranasiri, a government whip.

Shortly before the ruling was handed down, Mr Banharn told reporters that he would not accept the premiership if it were offered, because he could not stand high political pressure.

"It's better that I stay on like this. I want to live a long life," he said.

Mr Samak was not in court to hear the verdict that ends his premiership after just over eight months. He returned on Tuesday afternoon from a mobile cabinet meeting in Tuesday and went into seclusion. He was represented by his lawyer.

The Constitution Court ruled in a unanimous verdict on Tuesday that the two TV cooking shows of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej violated the charter ban on outside employment and ordered him to leave office immediately.

Serious politics-Thai style.The Constitution Court sound a rather sad bunch if thats the best they can come up with.Cooking :?: :!:- now that is truly pathetic.hahaha

Hmmm the way it reads to me, he HASN'T resigned.... but he's being sacked.

But he can get his old job back... same old, same old.

I don't understand why the PPP are standing by this buffoon. He has hardly been an effective leader, bringing tons of trouble and controversy on the country every time he opens his guppy-like mouth.

They would be wise to drop this Jabba-the-Hut-sized liability now while they have a face-saving get-out clause...

Their undying loyalty makes me think he has some influence over them we are not privy to.

Hmmm the way it reads to me, he HASN'T resigned.... but he's being sacked.

That what i'm going to ask...

What's difference between resign and being sacked.

Cuz Samak didn't say he would be resign, but he insisted that he won't resign.

Anyway, yes he can take his job back if he wants and PPP wants. PPP will vote for him. What if he comes back 15 days ahead he will face another case and that's criminal case.

Today the court found out and said.... he gave perjury and gave fake evidences plus he is an office-bearer. So if he do it again and the court say he is guilty while he is PM... I think court will say "GO TO JAIL" lol no need to wait for penalize.

I just hope he will think about "moral" but this gov. I have no idea, indeed.

About next PM if not Samak.

May be Somchai Wongsawat, he is Thaksin's brother in law.

May be Dr.Surapong Seubwonglee, this guy has a case, about lotto.

Don't Thai people get sick of seeing politicians buying elections with Thai tax money?

Yes I do, but I don't know about the others.

How could they live with it?

Just complain and do nothing, and complain that people like me are crazy. So... I don't know what to say...

Same as they have thieves in house, they are trying to steal everything plus burn the house plus attack our daddy... some people who live in the house (included me) try to save everything, we run around make loud noise...mean while the rest of us do nothing...and blame people who trying to save them.

a couple of things:

a) PAD aren't going home, regardless. they're holding out for that 70 percent appointed parliament/30 percent elected thing. hearsay, but i bet it's true.

B) samak didn't stick around long enough for all the various projects which require gov't funding to get through, meaning... all those things that need to be fixed, need to be built, etc etc etc... aren't getting done.

so what now? run the country into the ground until sondhi gets his way?

btw as the article clearly states it was the court, the court that "can't be trusted," that threw the stealing prick out on his ear, *not* the protesters.

civil disobedience is a noble concept but i wonder how many PAD really know what they're fighting for?

btw as the article clearly states it was the court, the court that "can't be trusted," that threw the stealing prick out on his ear, *not* the protesters.

Be careful man... it's kinda insult the court.

Have you got all what the court said? All in Thai and not easy for me to translate in Eng. If you hear it you might change your word.

Have you got all what the court said? All in Thai and not easy for me to translate in Eng. If you hear it you might change your word.

I think you misinterpreted what Zeus wrote.

He was suggesting the rule of law - the court system - one of the pillars of a democratic society, worked the way it should, that removed Samak, not the mob...aka...PAD.

He was not insulting the court..

I think you misinterpreted what Zeus wrote.

He was suggesting the rule of law - the court system - one of the pillars of a democratic society, worked the way it should, that removed Samak, not the mob...aka...PAD.

He was not insulting the court..

Ok sorry, I get him wrong.

he was forced to resign by the court wasnt he that's not resign it's fire ??

My friend said it's polite word. :?

Do we need to be polite to an impolite PM ? curious :D

haha sometimes we do... others ppl called I-mak... I called him Lung Samak. At least he is older than me. á¡èà¾ÃÒáԹ¢éÒÇ à²èÒà¾ÃÒÃÃÂÙè¹Ò¹

i'm *not* insulting the court. i'm saying that some PAD supporters had insulted the court, suggesting that the court couldn't be trusted and that's why they have to take to the streets. clearly, the court did just fine, and as far as i can tell is working the way it is supposed to. sorry if it wasn't clear.