Atheists have their say

Treborz

I have a feeling I have said this before...

Read Christopher Hitchens "God Is Not Great"

The author is a very highly educated man who has obviously studied theology and knows his subjects, the major religions of the world, very well...so well that he can shoot them down in flames with virtually no effort at all...or at least thats how he makes it look.

The book is brilliant, and it shows how the religions of the world are as he says "poisoning everything"...

Read it...

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe any of the religions either. I simply think that many atheists are just as full of righteous sh*t as the religi'os of Islam and Christianity.

Talking about being full of 'righteous sh*t' it takes one to know one. :thumbleft:

you and your Nazi bros should be quite familiar.

burned any books lately or are you saving the matches and gas for the next holocaust.

I don't believe any of the religions either. I simply think that many atheists are just as full of righteous sh*t as the religi'os of Islam and Christianity.

Talking about being full of 'righteous sh*t' it takes one to know one. :thumbleft:

burned any books lately or are you saving the matches and gas for the next holocaust.

Unlike you and your trigger-happy chums we learned and adapted. We don't have to be that crude anymore. Subtlety wins the day.

Have fun being Taliban bait. :salute:

my ass

Your country was neutered by their half century of hiding behind the US and Britain from the big bad Soviets.

If it hadn't been for the US and Britain occupying your sorry country, you'd either be coming out of the same situation as East Germany or speaking Russian by now. Being conquered twice in less than 30 years essentially neutered German men for the foreseeable future. I'd be nervous about it too. No telling what might happen if your country ever truly examines the skeletons in your own closet instead of bitching and moaning about the US. Bunch of f*cking *******. lo

You lost your ability to create testosterone while you were wearing that skirt following your defeat in '45.

Now go sweep a gutter while forgetting to use underarm deodorant or go start another World War that you inevitably lose.

my a*s

Your country was neutered by their half century of hiding behind the US and Britain from the big bad Soviets.

If it hadn't been for the US and Britain occupying your sorry country, you'd either be coming out of the same situation as East Germany or speaking Russian by now. Being conquered twice in less than 30 years essentially neutered German men for the foreseeable future. I'd be nervous about it too. No telling what might happen if your country ever truly examines the skeletons in your own closet instead of bitching and moaning about the US. Bunch of f*cking *******. lo

You lost your ability to create testosterone while you were wearing that skirt following your defeat in '45.

Now go sweep a gutter while forgetting to use underarm deodorant or go start another World War that you inevitably lose.

Gosh, it's almost to easy pressing your buttons...where's the challenge in that.

Btw, I did learn to speak Russian and I can assure you one doesn't start growing hoofs or horns from speaking it. Learning languages does go a long way in understanding other cultures and it beats pointing the barrel of a gun at them...something you haven't quite sussed out yet. Evolution does take its time though, I know.

:salute:

man you hung yourself in your own quotebox!

unless of course you were intending to point out your own stunning display of hypocrisy, in which case you succeeded admirably. <sigh>

on the other hand, you never *denied* being full of righteous ****, so maybe hypocrisy is the wrong word. distraction by ad hominem ass candy is a time honored argument technique, however irrelevant and fallacious.

my a*s

Gosh, it's almost to easy pressing your buttons...where's the challenge in that.

Btw, I did learn to speak Russian and I can assure you one doesn't start growing hoofs or horns from speaking it. Learning languages does go a long way in understanding other cultures and it beats pointing the barrel of a gun at them...something you haven't quite sussed out yet. Evolution does take its time though, I know.

you two should just **** and get it over with. although it seems Ciaran already has designs on JD, but they're more like an old married couple anyway....

my a*s

you two should just f*ck and get it over with. although it seems Ciaran already has designs on JD, but they're more like an old married couple anyway....

unfortunately seems to be the other way around .... i've got Rock here stalking me !! he's got some very strange ideas and appears to have some gender and sexuality issues !! :shock: :shock:

how come everybody else's stalker is at least female ... i get a red neck psycho !! :roll:

and don't anybody say karma !!!!

my a*s

you two should just **** and get it over with. although it seems Ciaran already has designs on JD, but they're more like an old married couple anyway....

my a*s

the thing that you don't quite understand is that you've never pushed a button. you just allow me to pass time when I'm a bit bored and confirm my opinions about you and your ilk

my a*s

you two should just f*ck and get it over with. although it seems Ciaran already has designs on JD, but they're more like an old married couple anyway....

unfortunately seems to be the other way around .... i've got Rock here stalking me !! he's got some very strange ideas and appears to have some gender and sexuality issues !! :shock: :shock:

how come everybody else's stalker is at least female ... i get a red neck psycho !! :roll:

Sorry big girl but the only time that I throw a post your way is when you start the "conversation."

I've never started a conversation with you. It's really rather simple. If you don't want me aiming a post at your little bitchy head, don't post in my direction. Ciarain, my girl. YOU are the stalker. You're just too stupid to realize it. But I'll play your game since I know that your naught but a little bitchy girlie girl who's askeered of homosekshuals and prostitutes.

my a*s

Sorry big girl but the only time that I throw a post your way is when you start the "conversation."

I've never started a conversation with you. It's really rather simple. If you don't want me aiming a post at your little bitchy head, don't post in my direction. Ciarain, my girl. YOU are the stalker. You're just too stupid to realize it. But I'll play your game since I know that your naught but a little bitchy girlie girl who's askeered of homosekshuals and prostitutes.

yeah yeah Rock u keep saying that ... maybe u can one day convince urself it's true !!!

and by the way Rock "I AIN'T UR GIRL !!!" .... i do believe that's what known as a Freudian slip and says more about U than i could ever hope to !!!

never thought it would be possible, but it seems we've finally discovered the people who can make he TF forum even more childish.

there should be an award for this. and Iaiaiaiaian should get a cash subsidy; he won't be making much on popcorn from this tedious and repetitive poo flinging match.

never thought it would be possible, but it seems we've finally discovered the people who can make he TF forum even more childish.

there should be an award for this. and Iaiaiaiaian should get a cash subsidy; he won't be making much on popcorn from this tedious and repetitive poo flinging match.

says you na nana wooopeee doooda poo poo pooooo

please see profile for contact info ty

• 11 months later...
Zeus does the same thing... BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH move and i'll kick yah! i'm a lifelong warrior that's never been within an intercontinentalballistic missile lob of a shot fired in anger!

If it makes one feel good...

I reckon.

i thought Michael Dukakis was tending to his sickly wife. how does he have time to troll TF?

kicking the dead. it is a repulsive habit. but he wouldn't scare me if he was alive!

Albert Einstein said "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

there are many instances of false quotes being attributed to Einstein. i believe that is the case here. from that font of fascinating reading (my journal) comes this info

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

* Letter to an atheist (1954) as quoted in Albert Einstein: The Human Side (1981) edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.To that extent I am, in point of fact, religious.

* Response to atheist, Alfred Kerr (Winter 1927) who after deriding ideas of God and religion at a dinner party in the home of the publisher Samuel Fischer, had queried him "I hear that you are supposed to be deeply religious" as quoted in The Diary of a Cosmopolitan (1971) by H. G. Kessler , 1971)

Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true. The consequence was a positively fanatic orgy of freethinking coupled with the impression that youth is intentionally being deceived by the state through lies; it was a crushing impression. Mistrust of every kind of authority grew out of this experience, a skeptical attitude toward the convictions that were alive in any specific social environment — an attitude that has never again left me, even though, later on, it has been tempered by a better insight into the causal connections.

* Autobiographical Notes (1979) Edited by Paul Arthur Schilpp

New York Times Magazine (November 9, 1930) :

The individual feels the futility of human desires and aims and the sublimity and marvelous order which reveal themselves both in nature and in the world of thought. Individual existence impresses him as a sort of prison and he wants to experience the universe as a single significant whole. The beginnings of cosmic religious feeling already appear at an early stage of development, e.g., in many of the Psalms of David and in some of the Prophets. Buddhism, as we have learned especially from the wonderful writings of Schopenhauer, contains a much stronger element of this. The religious geniuses of all ages have been distinguished by this kind of religious feeling, which knows no dogma and no God conceived in man's image; so that there can be no church whose central teachings are based on it. Hence it is precisely among the heretics of every age that we find men who were filled with this highest kind of religious feeling and were in many cases regarded by their contemporaries as atheists, sometimes also as saints. Looked at in this light, men like Democritus, Francis of Assisi, and Spinoza are closely akin to one another.

The man who is thoroughly convinced of the universal operation of the law of causation cannot for a moment entertain the idea of a being who interferes in the course of events — provided, of course, that he takes the hypothesis of causality really seriously. He has no use for the religion of fear and equally little for social or moral religion. A God who rewards and punishes is inconceivable to him for the simple reason that a man's actions are determined by necessity, external and internal, so that in God's eyes he cannot be responsible, any more than an inanimate object is responsible for the motions it undergoes. Science has therefore been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hopes of reward after death.

i'll let it all speak for itself. i just enjoy reading it. i wonder which genius had the forsight to make it available on TF?

unfortunately, on Einstein's last point, man, the great unwashed mass of man, might be often in a poor way. in fact, i'd go so far as to say it stands need to be proven otherwise.

depending on the kindness of strangers, i don't know how it eventually worked out for Blanche Dubois, but i've learned to put my faith in cold hard steel (and a nimble brain and body... both of which are failing as we speak).

the closest Einstein comes to endorsing religion that i could find is this

Our time is distinguished by wonderful achievements in the fields of scientific understanding and the technical application of those insights. Who would not be cheered by this? But let us not forget that human knowledge and skills alone cannot lead humanity to a happy and dignified life. Humanity has every reason to place the proclaimers of high moral standards and values above the discoverers of objective truth. What humanity owes to personalities like Buddha, Moses, and Jesus ranks for me higher than all the achievements of the enquiring and constructive mind.

What these blessed men have given us we must guard and try to keep alive with all our strength if humanity is not to lose its dignity, the security of its existence, and its joy in living.

* Written statement (September 1937) as quoted in Albert Einstein, The Human Side: New Glimpses From His Archives (1981) edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman

but nowhere in anything the great and modest man (Einstein) said, could i find words that would endorse organised religion, or even any thought of worship of a god that man has created in his (man's) image... a fact that Bible thumpers like to gloss over... especially while they're shovin the collection plate in your face.