International ''swine flu'' emergency

Count_Jason

I was going to post and suggest that the first case in BKK will be in the next 48-72 hrs but it seems that there is already a suspect case;
MEXICAN FLU Thai woman returning from Mexico quarantined

A 42-year-old Thai woman returning from Mexico was suspected to have contracted swine influenza and is being quarantined at the Chulalongkorn Hospital, sources said. The sources did not identify the woman, saying she was in Mexico from April 3 and 11. She was admitted to Chulalongkorn Hospital on April 28 (Tuesday) after falling ill.

The woman is now quarantined in a sterile room. Doctors are waiting for lab results before diagnosing her illness.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/04/28/national/national_30101541.php

Confirmation from Chula Hospital, she got normal flu, NOT MEXICAN FLU.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just wondering why we don't stop call it "Swine flu" It's Maxican Flu. nothing to do with the Swine.

well it does contain pig DNA.

Funnily enough, in Israel, they are calling it Mexican flu, because pig isn't kosher. Well thats what they said on the BBC news yesterday.

I just read in "the nation" online edition that Thailand will call it Mexican Human Flu.

Also the EU and US are considering to rename the flu as its not about meat infection and it may damage the reputation of breeders. The virus has nothing to do with meat consumption.

I was going to post and suggest that the first case in BKK will be in the next 48-72 hrs but it seems that there is already a suspect case;
MEXICAN FLU Thai woman returning from Mexico quarantined

A 42-year-old Thai woman returning from Mexico was suspected to have contracted swine influenza and is being quarantined at the Chulalongkorn Hospital, sources said. The sources did not identify the woman, saying she was in Mexico from April 3 and 11. She was admitted to Chulalongkorn Hospital on April 28 (Tuesday) after falling ill.

The woman is now quarantined in a sterile room. Doctors are waiting for lab results before diagnosing her illness.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/04/28/national/national_30101541.php

Confirmation from Chula Hospital, she got normal flu, NOT MEXICAN FLU.

Thanks bCool, good to know for the sake of her and her family. Still it cannot be that long before another suspect case arrives here.

first fatality in the US. 5 confirmed cases in UK. Nearly all UK holiday firms have cancelled charters to Mexico now.

What is new about this type of swine flu?

The World Health Organization has confirmed that at least some of the human cases are a never-before-seen version of the H1N1 strain of influenza type A.

H1N1 is the same strain which causes seasonal outbreaks of flu in humans on a regular basis.

But this latest version of H1N1 is different: it contains genetic material that is typically found in strains of the virus that affect humans, birds and swine.

Flu viruses have the ability to swap genetic components with each other, and it seems likely that the new version of H1N1 resulted from a mixing of different versions of the virus, which may usually affect different species, in the same animal host.

Pigs provide an excellent 'melting pot' for these viruses to mix and match with each other.

How dangerous is it?

Symptoms of swine flu in humans appear to be similar to those produced by standard, seasonal flu.

These include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, chills and fatigue.

It is worth remembering that seasonal flu often poses a serious threat to public health: each year it kills 250,000 - 500,000 around the world.

So far, most cases of swine flu around the world appear to be mild.

But lives have been lost in Mexico, and a single death - of a Mexican child - has been confirmed in the US.

If it makes me any more human than the GW thread, I like WHO doctors... They seem grounded and don't scaremonger.

Swine 'flu DOES worry me because it's real, now and fatal.

We've used pigs' organs before for transplants because they are similar to ours. Swine 'flu has potential.

(cannibals in Borneo call human meat 'long pig')

If it makes me any more human than the GW thread, I like WHO doctors... They seem grounded and don't scaremonger.

Swine 'flu DOES worry me because it's real, now and fatal.

We've used pigs' organs before for transplants because they are similar to ours. Swine 'flu has potential.

(cannibals in Borneo call human meat 'long pig')

I don't think you seem less human just in denial. WHO Drs seem ok to me also. Humans need them more and more with growing populations. Humans might be related to pigs in more ways then 1.

If it makes me any more human than the GW thread, I like WHO doctors...

So, which was your favourite? I still go for Tom Baker, though was impressed by David Tennent's stint..

Tom Baker was the best, but only just. David Tennant is doing a wonderful job and will be greatly missed when he hands over the sonic screwdriver later this year.

Would have loved to have seen a few more David Tennant / Stephen Moffat episodes.

swine.jpg

I heard news from the radio this morning that at the airport found 5 ppl who got fever but from investigation they were not travel from Maxico, so they let them go and asked them to check up at Chulalongkorn Hospital after 14 days.

At Bumradnaradoon Institue observe an Aussie guy who got fever 39 degree cel. about 2-7 days.

New Zealand and South Korea have said they are investigating more suspected cases of swine flu, as hastily arranged measures designed to contain the disease's spread in Asia were put to the test.

The region, which has had no deaths so far, has tightened already stringent screening at airports and transport hubs since the beginning of the week after the virus first showed up in Mexico before spreading to Europe and beyond.

With the World Health Organization warning of a significant increase in the risk of pandemic and the United States Wednesday reporting the first death outside Mexico, which has 159 suspected fatalities -- Asia, like the rest of the world, is on full alert.

New Zealand, the only country in the region with confirmed cases, announced three more likely ones on Wednesday, taking the country's total of probable and confirmed infections to 14.

With scores of others in isolation or under investigation, New Zealand's health ministry said all three new cases were people who had travelled to Mexico or North America recently.

"Because of their travel history... we need to assume that this is swine flu," said Julia Peters, of the regional public health service in Auckland.

In Seoul, the health ministry said it was investigating five suspected swine flu infections in addition to a "probable" case announced the previous day.

The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the people with suspected infections had recently returned from trips to Mexico or the United States and showed flu-like symptoms such as coughing and fever.

South Korea has designated Mexico as a "travel restricted area," urging its citizens to cancel or delay trips there while Sri Lanka advised against all non-essential overseas travel.

Mindful of the increasing numbers of confirmed or suspected infections across the world, Australia introduced new powers to isolate and detain suspected sufferers.

Health Minister Nicola Roxon said that the new measures, ranging from extreme steps such as detaining or isolating for surveillance suspected carriers to disinfecting aircraft after they arrive from overseas, were so far purely precautionary.

"It means that we can act nationally, we can act quickly," she told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

Some 91 people displaying flu symptoms were being tested for the potentially deadly virus in Australia, but there are no confirmed cases of swine flu so far, Roxon's office said.

Six nations other than Mexico and New Zealand have declared confirmed cases of swine flu, but there have been numerous scares and tests throughout Asia, which still has bitter memories of the SARS epidemic in 2003.

Singapore Wednesday declared a "new war" to stop swine flu from entering the city-state and expanded the screening of passengers to those arriving by sea as well as air.

China, heavily criticised for initially covering up the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) epidemic, went on full alert Tuesday but has no confirmed cases to date and has vowed full reporting should there be any.

There were scenes reminiscent of the SARS epidemic in Hong Kong, which killed close to 300 people, with queues forming outside pharmacies as people scrambled to stock up on medical supplies and face masks.

The southern Chinese territory, which already has some of the world's toughest health security measures as a result of SARS, has stepped up its surveillance of visitors for signs of flu.

Although there are no confirmed swine flu cases in Hong Kong, authorities have made the illness a "notifiable disease", meaning anyone who has come into contact with a suspected patient can now be quarantined. Two patients were still in isolation and undergoing tests for suspected swine flu, officials said.

Most countries in the region have increased airport checks to screen passengers arriving from affected areas and advised against non-essential travel to Mexico.

Thermal scanners have been a common feature in many Asian airports since SARS, despite suggestions they have only limited ability to catch such illnesses.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090430/wl_asia_afp/healthfluasia

If it makes me any more human than the GW thread, I like WHO doctors...

So, which was your favourite? I still go for Tom Baker, though was impressed by David Tennent's stint...

(sorry)

Tom Baker for me too - not seen any of the recent ones.

John Pertwee was a good 'un too, going back a bit... I especially liked the episode where he dressed like a scarecrow and ate cake with Aunt Sally.

WHO notches up swine flu pandemic alert

WHO Director General Margaret Chan declared the phase 5 alert after consulting with flu experts from around the world. The decision could lead the global body to recommend additional measures to combat the outbreak, including for vaccine manufacturers to switch production from seasonal flu vaccines to a pandemic vaccine.

"All countries should immediately now activate their pandemic preparedness plans," Chan told reporters in Geneva. "It really is all of humanity that is under threat in a pandemic."

A phase 5 alert means there is sustained transmission among people in at least two countries. Once the virus shows effective transmission in two different regions of the world, a full pandemic outbreak ? phase 6 ? would be declared, meaning a global epidemic of a new and deadly disease.

WHO notches up swine flu pandemic alert

WHO Director General Margaret Chan declared the phase 5 alert after consulting with flu experts from around the world. The decision could lead the global body to recommend additional measures to combat the outbreak, including for vaccine manufacturers to switch production from seasonal flu vaccines to a pandemic vaccine.

"All countries should immediately now activate their pandemic preparedness plans," Chan told reporters in Geneva. "It really is all of humanity that is under threat in a pandemic."

A phase 5 alert means there is sustained transmission among people in at least two countries. Once the virus shows effective transmission in two different regions of the world, a full pandemic outbreak ? phase 6 ? would be declared, meaning a global epidemic of a new and deadly disease.

Why am I still not worried? I think if phase 6 is reached (and lets hope it doesn't get to that point), maybe then I'll start to think twice about taking necessary precautions.

Until then, I will sit back and read, "The Boy Who Cried Wolf."

From Not the Nation:

http://www.notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=778

THE SCARY WORLD ? Wire agencies, newspapers and television networks have continued to bravely produce journalism in spite of overwhelming evidence that man will be extinct in only a few weeks.

As the swine flu reaches ?pandemic? proportions and ?spreads quickly around the globe,? reporters, editors and producers have heroically continued to perform their daily duties as if they themselves will not be consumed by the very ?outbreak of the easily transmitted, fatal disease? on which they are reporting.

?It?s courageous really,? said media analyst Tom Becker of Northwestern University. ?Journalists throughout history have gotten a negative rap, but now, in the moment when the world is coming to an obvious end, they will go out as selfless messengers who without hesitation or fear delivered us this bad news.?

Many people about to die everywhere agreed that the media deserved praise for their stoicism. Said one: ?Every day, when I read about the impending decimation of populations around the world, and indeed about my own imminent death, I am in awe of these reporters who just carry on as if there will still be a tomorrow.?

?Imagine the focus it must require to write or edit copy when you know better than anyone that we?re goners,? said another person whose days on this earth were clearly limited. ?Most people wouldn?t bother. They?d be with their family or friends, or in Vegas or something, but the journalists ? what do they do? They get up and they go to work.?

Members of the world media are being typically humble and reserved about what is without a doubt the biggest story of their careers.

?This is not about me, Christiane Amanpour,? said CNN?s Christiane Amanpour.

Amanpour also denied that swine flu was being overblown by the media due to a bad economy and desperate need for increased circulation, revenue, and relevance.

?That doesn?t make sense,? she said. ?Given that a Mexican toddler has just died in Texas, it?s pretty clear that the extinction of the human race is just around the corner. So let me ask you: Once we are all dead, how would the billions in extra advertising money help us then??

Do any remember when we had the break out of SARS and Bird-flu ?

I remember.

The worst case when We get such break-out

are the News doesn't matter if its the paper or electronic news.

They use to blow it up to big storms or even better Hurricanes-

Much more than necassary -

Why ? For selling and get more money.

Thats all despite that NationalHealth deptm. as well as WHO pleads to if I may say "TAKE IT EASY" - so far.

I agree with Rob - as long it's not in Phase 6 I'll sit back and take it easy.

To my knowledge most of the Western and the Asian world are ready for a pandemi if it comes.

At least I hope so.

As an example:

The Danish Helt-system have Tamiflu for the whole danish population for a year.

The Secretary/Minister of Health - just told that the Health deptments have bought 40.000 units of another treatment if the Tamifly doesn't help.

I do belive that that most pther government will do the same if they dont have enough medicine in stock