Western Customs Thais Should Know

SweetieBabie

Western Customs Thai People Should Know

For example, the bread, dinner rolls and butter on the dining table has always been free in restaurants, but not anymore these days. Even extra charge for the packaging if you wish you take home doggie bags.

What else you should tell us about old and new common practice / norms of which Thai people should learn before and during travelling?

Tipping is normal in restaurants, hair salons and taxis. (min 10% in UK and 15% in USA)

At a gas station, you pump your own gas.

It's OK to complain about poor service or bad food.

If you go out on a Friday or Saturday in a town in UK, you will see boys (and sometimes girls) fighting.... walk away.

You can never tell someone they look fat.

The only beggars in UK are white men in their twenties... don't give them any money.

English sense of humour is very sarcastic - we often insult the people we care about - don't take it seriously.

If someone invites you for afternoon coffee or dinner, don?t forget to bring the host a bouquet (or a bottle of wine, if he?s a man). Visiting anyone with empty hands is kind of rude (at least in Denmark)

If you?re invited to a party, it is very OK to ask the host about dress code. (Better underdressed than overdressed!)

Tip a taxi driver and hair salons isn?t common in Denmark. Don?t tip them. They charge you already in the fee.

Tipping is normal in restaurants, hair salons and taxis. (min 10% in UK and 15% in USA)

English sense of humour is very sarcastic - we often insult the people we care about - don't take it seriously.

Is that so?!?!

1) I worked at some Thai restaurants in the UK for two damn years, English, to me, were quite stingy when it comes to tipping!!

2) You often insult the people you care about?! Are you having a bloody laugh?!?! :shock:

the whole custom of a tip being included in your bill already makes my blood boil. The whole idea of a tip is to recognise good standards of service, good food etc. Yet to take it for granted when many places provide poor service is urine extraction of the highest degree. The other side of the argument is that until just recently in the UK, many restaurants used to pay many staff minimum or below wages and their tips were the only thing to keep them going.

We had a family occasion in what is supposedly a very good Edinburgh restaurant (great reviews over a long period etc) Whether there had been a change in management, cooking staff, owners, whatever, on the night in question the service was atrocious, the food slow to come to the table (at main course, 2 dishes arrived after 40 minutes, 2 after 50 minutes and the final 2 after 1 hour) and people were at different stages of their meal due to this.

At the end of the evening, the bill including wine was just over 400 GBP. Despite our complaints throughout the meal, no discount was offered, no free drinks, nothing. So, as the bill included 15% gratuity we worked out what the total should have been without the gratuity and paid that. At first they refused to accept the reduced amount, with the maitre'd and the manager telling us to pay the full bill. We refused and told them to call the police if they were not happy and they finally gave in.

I will always tip, as long as the service is at least passable, the amount depending on just how good the service or food (or the banter if a taxi driver) is.

Most public toilets in Europe cost some money and it can be expensive in comparison to ThaiBth. Take DK for exp. Public toilet on the walking street will cost you DKK 2 (approx Bth12). Use toilets at a hotel or a shopping centre, they are free.

Never run into a train once it?s opened the door. Allow people in the train leave before you get in. You have plenty of time before the door close, don?t worry.

Don?t expect anyone will give you a seat on a bus or a train, even if you're pregnant or travel with children. People expect that you should be able to take care of yourself. (speaking of Denmark, of course)

Is that so?!?!

1) I worked at some Thai restaurants in the UK for two damn years, English, to me, were quite stingy when it comes to tipping!!

2) You often insult the people you care about?! Are you having a bloody laugh?!?! :shock:

Maybe the customers were showing they care by tipping in a sarcastically stingy manner?

the whole custom of a tip being included in your bill already makes my blood boil. The whole idea of a tip is to recognise good standards of service, good food etc. Yet to take it for granted when many places provide poor service is urine extraction of the highest degree. The other side of the argument is that until just recently in the UK, many restaurants used to pay many staff minimum or below wages and their tips were the only thing to keep them going.

We had a family occasion in what is supposedly a very good Edinburgh restaurant (great reviews over a long period etc) Whether there had been a change in management, cooking staff, owners, whatever, on the night in question the service was atrocious, the food slow to come to the table (at main course, 2 dishes arrived after 40 minutes, 2 after 50 minutes and the final 2 after 1 hour) and people were at different stages of their meal due to this.

At the end of the evening, the bill including wine was just over 400 GBP. Despite our complaints throughout the meal, no discount was offered, no free drinks, nothing. So, as the bill included 15% gratuity we worked out what the total should have been without the gratuity and paid that. At first they refused to accept the reduced amount, with the maitre'd and the manager telling us to pay the full bill. We refused and told them to call the police if they were not happy and they finally gave in.

I will always tip, as long as the service is at least passable, the amount depending on just how good the service or food (or the banter if a taxi driver) is.

Mate, believe me. Many times, it didnt bloody work out that way, no matter how good the service was :evil:

The only beggars in UK are white men in their twenties... don't give them any money.

You been away too long mate. There is now a huge number of female beggars, often with small children in tow, and usually from Kosovo/Albania in particular.

There was a guy exposed in Glasgow last year. Begging on a street corner every day and making quite a lot out of it. Someone grassed him up to the local paper and a reporter followed him from his begging pitch to a nice family car. Turned out he lived in a good area in a decent sized house but felt he could make more from begging than working.

:)

Mate, believe me. Many times, it didnt bloody work out that way, no matter how good the service was :evil:

Oh agree; but there will always be those who 'take everything for granted' and don't recognise good service or realise the subsistence wages some hospitality staff are on.

Saying that, I would NEVER tip anywhere such as McDonalds, Starbucks etc. (mind you, as I NEVER frequent those sort of places the dilemma will never arise!!)

wow amazing fact, its really interesting to witness cultural differences here and there.

I had a friend came back from touring Europe and mostly England. anyway, as budget travelers her and her friends stayed in these cheap lodge where they assumed they got these nasty insect bite marks from, and all over their bodies. They went to see doctor in hospital and diagnosed with these symptom caused by European bed bugs !!!! something we do not commonly see in Thailand. The medical charge was scary as the nasty bug bites itself. however, they said in europe there is something the government provide free medical service for first time travelers or something like that... some experience !

wow amazing fact, its really interesting to witness cultural differences here and there.

I had a friend came back from touring Europe and mostly England. anyway, as budget travelers her and her friends stayed in these cheap lodge where they assumed they got these nasty insect bite marks from, and all over their bodies. They went to see doctor in hospital and diagnosed with these symptom caused by European bed bugs !!!! something we do not commonly see in Thailand. The medical charge was scary as the nasty bug bites itself. however, they said in europe there is something the government provide free medical service for first time travelers or something like that... some experience !

Good night, sleep tight,

Don?t let the bedbugs bite.

And if they do

Then take your shoe

And knock ?em ?til

They?re black and blue!

(I remember this 'nursery rhyme' from childhood and it is still said today!!)

In the USA, even if you are not religious, it is polite to say, "God bless you" if someone sneezes...even a complete stranger.

In some parts of the US, it's rude to not say, "God bless you" if someone sneezes. I've never liked this one, but I do it anyway.

If someone is walking about 5 seconds or less behind you, you should hold the door open for that person.

We give up seats for the elderly or pregnant, but never for children.

In the USA, even if you are not religious, it is polite to say, "God bless you" if someone sneezes...even a complete stranger.

In some parts of the US, it's rude to not say, "God bless you" if someone sneezes. I've never liked this one, but I do it anyway.

If someone is walking about 5 seconds or less behind you, you should hold the door open for that person.

We give up seats for the elderly or pregnant, but never for children.

think the last 2 are common courtesy anywhere you go (for me anyway) and certainly the 'God bless you' used to very common in the UK too, at least among the last generation. I long ago adopted the German of 'gesundheid' or the pagan version, 'blessed be'.

Pretty much the same here.

We say "prosit" (borrow the word from German, I think) when someone sneezes.

I had a friend came back from touring Europe and mostly England. anyway, as budget travelers her and her friends stayed in these cheap lodge where they assumed they got these nasty insect bite marks from, and all over their bodies. They went to see doctor in hospital and diagnosed with these symptom caused by European bed bugs !!!! something we do not commonly see in Thailand!

Haha. I seem to remember that last year the SRT discovered that a number of 3rd class carriages were infested with bed bugs! The SRT had to spend a fair bit to deinfest the carriages (most used on the Isan lines I believe it was reported? A health ministry person blamed it on farang backpackers.

I guess those 'European bed bugs' wanted a holiday in the tropics knowing they would get a good feed (even if it was a 3rd class feed!).

It's rude to leave the dinner table before the host.

If you are in Denmark and having a dinner at someone's place, don't forget to say "tak for mad" (Thank you for the dinner) when you finishedd the dinner and you should call them the next day to say "tak for sidt" (thank you for the last time). Danish people use the word "tak" alot and they have different kind of "tak".

Knowing your ?Wats? from your ?Wais?

Blahhhh.....But as a unknowing foreigner you?ll be excused for not knowing how to wai, and if in doubt it?s probably better not to wai. Don?t go around wai?ing everyone from the tuk tuk driver to the doorman, for you?ll look somewhat ridiculous. On the other hand, if you are planning on staying awhile it?s a good idea to remember to wai those who are older or more important than you when greeting them. This will scored you plenty of brownie points, particularly with sticky officials.

Being cool

Everyone wants to be cool right? Well, Thailand is a ?cool? kind of place, where everyone keeps cool, that is with the exception of the occasional impatient ?farang? (foreigner). Yup, us farangs just weren?t born with the cool-heartedness of the Thai. We get impatient and intolerant, raising our voices, creating confrontations and causing so many petrified Thais to lose face that they have to spend the rest of their day wandering around trying to find their faces again! (which is why they might not be able or willing to satisfy your own needs). Thais, bless their fluffy cotton-wool souls, hate losing face, and no matter how incompetent, lazy or useless someone might be, you won?t achieve much by yelling. They?ll just shrink, ignore you and bolt. There is a handy alternative, simply say ?mai pen rai? and forget about it. This universally useful phrase can mean, ?never mind?, ?forget it?, ?sorry, I screwed up but so what?, ? Oh well, I?ve caused an accident, what a shame?, ?oh shoot, you booked me on the wrong flight and I?ve lost $200?s but that?s OK?, and plenty of other excuses. Thailand is an imperfect place and the Thai have little desire to improve things by complaining and demanding, they just learn to put up with discomfort that us Westerners would be indignant about. So, arm yourself with plenty of patience and modest expectations, otherwise you?ll simply stress yourself out. In fact, as far as Thais are generally concerned, most things should be ?sanook? (fun), be it the work place, a chore, riding your motorbike four-up or yelling ?hello, where you go? at passing foreigners. This isn?t considered rude, immature or unprofessional but simply ?easy going?.

Big noodles

Thai society is fabulously wrapped up in a complex and overwhelming hierarchy of status, and every Thai?s elevation up the great bean-stalk of respect is central to their motivation and very being. Age, money, fame or respect through the monkhood or teaching profession count for much in the grand status stakes. Thais will work seven days a week, beg borrow and steal to get the means to command respect, and once in a position of authority they would expect minions to show them respect, whether they have earned the privilege fairly or not. They drip themselves in gold and periodically trade up to the latest status symbols, such as bigger cars and smaller mobile phones, to stamp their position on the great big ?high-so? ladder of Thailand. You?ll do well to notice and work around this, especially when dealing with local village headmen, high ranking civil servants, police, mafia-type business persons and anyone who imagines themselves to be wealthy and important.Of course we foreigners afford respect to others for more genuine reasons based on our own principles and values, but play along with it all and you?ll find people to be more accommodating. Generally, older people deserve a wai and politeness if you need to show unhappiness about something - no matter how much you might think they are dithering idiots. But, if you are merely a tourist, with lots of money to spend, you?ll be treated as the respected, for everyone here loves to make a bit of money out of ?flush foreigners?.

Expect the unexpected

Common sense takes on a whole new meaning here, as the Thai will make their decisions based on an entirely different set of values. Practicality, time saving, quality and efficiency play a much lesser role than corner cutting, gaining a windfall, following traditional beliefs, or gaining respect, acceptance or harmony. Foreigners living here often find it unfathomable why certain habits thrive (such as ignoring safety rules on the road), or why their hosts carry out activities in the most bewildering way. Well, in Thailand you fall in line with everyone else, follow the system and never challenge it.

Your own judgement about whether it?s good or bad is irrelevant and by standing out from the rest and going against the flow, even to make a point about doing the ?correct? thing, isn?t terribly popular or admired. A good citizen is expected to fit in with everyone else and put up with people?s indiscretions or annoyances. Employees and subordinates are taught to follow the rule book implicitly, so don?t expect any lateral problem solving that might call on their decision making and own judgement. And what goes on beyond your walls is none of your business no matter how immoral, inconsiderate or imposing it is. It may not seem right you, but as the clear minority you?ll only cause more problems by taking people to task. Never suggest to your neighbour he?s treating his dog badly, or tell off a stranger for dropping their rubbish. It?s polite to mind your own business.

Breeding dear boy!

The Thai are also quite conservative and the more middle or upper class they are the more they try to uphold the stiffest of neo-Victorian protocol to assert their manners and status. Lordy knows what they think of us uncouth savages wandering around topless on the beach or slopping around the mall in baggy clothes. We might get the wrong impression, with all the go go bars everywhere, but your average Thai is actually quite shy and old fashioned when it comes to fraternalising. For some young middle or upper class girls, even being seen with a Western man spells disaster among the gossip fiends. Only poor, brown skinned isarn girls ?riff-raff? with the free-spending Babylonians from abroad. This might explain why you get a cold reaction when trying hug or kiss a Thai goodbye in public.

Who you hang out with, where you are seen, how you conduct yourself in public and what you wear are all important to the bourgeois here, and there are many striving to be just that. As a visitor you will mostly interact with working class people, tour guides, receptionists and sales clerks whose parents were all humble farmers. But there is a whole middle class you seldom get to meet who uphold Thai manners assiduously. Society here isn?t quite as open as we are used to, and people don?t have the privilege to ignore all around them and behave as they please, unconcerned about what others might think of them.

We foreigners are just too confident and pushy to be truly Thai. And being truly Thai is very important to Thais.

Reference:

http://www.1stopchiangmai.com/articles/etiquette/

I had a friend came back from touring Europe and mostly England. anyway, as budget travelers her and her friends stayed in these cheap lodge where they assumed they got these nasty insect bite marks from, and all over their bodies. They went to see doctor in hospital and diagnosed with these symptom caused by European bed bugs !!!! something we do not commonly see in Thailand!

Haha. I seem to remember that last year the SRT discovered that a number of 3rd class carriages were infested with bed bugs! The SRT had to spend a fair bit to deinfest the carriages (most used on the Isan lines I believe it was reported? A health ministry person blamed it on farang backpackers.

I guess those 'European bed bugs' wanted a holiday in the tropics knowing they would get a good feed (even if it was a 3rd class feed!).

2 primary reasons why there has been a huge resurgence of bedbug infestations; the increases in international travel over the last quarter century, and the widespread banning of DDT which was the main reason their numbers were dramatically down for a while. So, ban air travel and bring back DDT...

of added note;

All bedbugs mate via a process termed traumatic insemination.Instead of inserting their genitalia into the female's reproductive tract as is typical in copulation, males instead pierce females with hypodermic genitalia and ejaculate into the body cavity.

:shock:

.........males instead pierce females with hypodermic genitalia and ejaculate into the body cavity. :shock:

...Bloody hell...glad we are slightly more romantic...I did say "slightly"...hehe

BTW I agree with Iain regarding the almost universal rip-off including a service charge in the bill. I am pretty sure that in Australia and several other places, there is no way that the restaurant can demand that you pay it - it is a gratuity, and if you are not feeling very gratified, why the hell should you pay it? It's the height of arrogance to include it and assume that the client was happy with the service or product provided.

In Singapore virtually all the places I recall ever going to had a line on the bottom of the bill saying "Do not tip" or similar...it made it very easy for first timers ("How much to tip?" etc) by stating it clearly and concisely up front.

When travelling in the west, for the most part, the "customs" that you will come in contact with can be handled with common sense - and certainly most Thai people will not have any trouble in this regard. People who are obviously travellers are usually afforded a bit of "grace" (leeway) anyhow when it comes to knowing what to do or not do.

Guest QTpiE

Some British manner that I've learned are..

-When eating bread rolls, break off a piece before buttering.

Use your knife only to butter the bread, not to cut it..

-Never blow your nose on your napkin.

Place it on your lap and use it to dab your mouth when u need.

-Do not take food from a neighbour?s plate and don?t ask to do so.

I hope these may help.. :wink:

MANY Americans who "consider themselves close friends with each other"

especially those in their teens, early 20's and some into their 30's

greet each other with insults - and its not a bad thing

as in

Hey fucker, hows ur mom

or

whats up ***** lets go out tonight

and many more but im trying to keep it clean

usually two male friends will talk like this

and the WORST and more disgusting the insult

OFTEN means the more love they show to each other

its a bromantic thing lol

but many females in their 20s can do this too

im not sure about other countries but in American when you here alot of **** this and **** you and **** ur mom and u slut or u *** or ur **** etc etc etc etc

its usually a group of FRIENDS just having fun

their usually not insults and its just a raunchy way friends communicate, the worst the better

we never do it with adults, we just do with friends

many of thais that i met in Chicago here me and best friends talk and thought we were fighting or trying to insult each other

when reality we just talk like this all the time to each other

we usually never speak like this to ppl we dont know

and another thing, most Americans are not racist and furthermore i have NEVER met an American yet who thought the WAR is a good idea