Farang.

Admin_2

What does the term "farang" mean to you?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. What does the term "farang" mean to you?

• It's positive.
    • It's negative.
    • It's neutral (could be positive or negative).
    • Farangs enjoy beer, Thais enjoy beer...who really cares?!

I don't get this....

Thai people are saying it's not negative.... and it's their language (I don't count Maidai because he's a liar and a fake - not Thai at all)

Farangs are saying it's negative... despite the fact they have only been speaking the language (at best) 3 or 4 years.

I prefer to go with the answers of my Thai friends whom I trust to tell me the truth.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this....

Thai people are saying it's not negative.... and it's their language (I don't count Maidai because he's a liar and a fake - not Thai at all)

Farangs are saying it's negative... despite the fact they have only been speaking the language (at best) 3 or 4 years.

I prefer to go with the answers of my Thai friends whom I trust to tell me the truth.

and white ppl in the US who had been speaking english all their lives said there was nothing wrong with calling blacks Ni**er .... thankfully MOST of us have grown out of that !!!

now i personally wouldn't put farang as an insult at the same level as the N word, but it is being lazy and a tad disrespectful !!

One of those voting for "It's negative" is me. I'd rather call you guys "Westerners" though :roll:

what's wrong with calling us by our names !! :D

Nothing's wrong with it mate, but sometimes I cant be arsed to pronounce the R :evil:

well u must be f**king pissed with whoever decided to call u Chelie !!!! :D:D:D

Farang is a term used to refer to all people of Caucasian appearance.

I had been called enough racial names in my life to not let it get to me and know when someone is using one as a negative reference.

I know quite a few cats, who much rather not be called that... and I know quite a few Thai's who agree that its has a negative connotation.

Its cute when its a bunch of kids in a small tribal village in a remote northern province... its far from cute when its two took took drivers.

I'm sure its like the term "shorty"... depends who says and how its said.

I retain my position.

This pretty well sums up my feelings too. It's very contextual. The scornful expression, mocking tone of voice and accompanying audible gossip and laughter mark out those who deliberately wish to be offensive (such as Tuk tuk drivers). But I enjoy riding my motorbike into a remote village and having the children run out calling "Farang" and waving and smiling.

As a lot of people know, I have an admin position in a large Hi-so Thai school. I had this conversation with a bunch of Thai parents one day, and most of them thought that it was derogatory and that I would be offended by it. Thai teachers in our school do not refer to us as Farangs (in our hearing anyway), apart from the very few known Farang-haters.

Hope that satisfies you, Rob ;)

I don't get this....

Obviously you havnt been listening to what other ppl had to say.

someone else said his "Thai" friends said it was negative.

so its just not myself farang_bob :lol: even though it seems i've persuated some folks to vote it as a negative. :twisted:

One of those voting for "It's negative" is me. I'd rather call you guys "Westerners" though :roll:

Nothing's wrong with it mate, but sometimes I cant be arsed to pronounce the R :evil:

well u must be f**king pissed with whoever decided to call u Chelie !!!! :D:D:D

Try it next time we meet, I would love to know how pissed off I can get :lol: :twisted:

Farang is a term used to refer to all people of Caucasian appearance.

I had been called enough racial names in my life to not let it get to me and know when someone is using one as a negative reference.

I know quite a few cats, who much rather not be called that... and I know quite a few Thai's who agree that its has a negative connotation.

Its cute when its a bunch of kids in a small tribal village in a remote northern province... its far from cute when its two took took drivers.

I'm sure its like the term "shorty"... depends who says and how its said.

I retain my position.

This pretty well sums up my feelings too. It's very contextual. The scornful expression, mocking tone of voice and accompanying audible gossip and laughter mark out those who deliberately wish to be offensive (such as Tuk tuk drivers). But I enjoy riding my motorbike into a remote village and having the children run out calling "Farang" and waving and smiling.

As a lot of people know, I have an admin position in a large Hi-so Thai school. I had this conversation with a bunch of Thai parents one day, and most of them thought that it was derogatory and that I would be offended by it. Thai teachers in our school do not refer to us as Farangs (in our hearing anyway), apart from the very few known Farang-haters.

Hope that satisfies you, Rob ;)

Thank you Very Much Twice_Shy, now can you tell Farang_Bob

Back in the days when I was growing up in NYC....We called them " White Boys "

I'm still here and they still do. Probably always will in one form or another I guess.

when you say NYC you are referring to Staten Island or something right?

'cause I been in NYC for a while and no one ever called me a "white boy"... plenty of other slang though.

I can see it now walking though 147st and Malcom X. Yo white boy where did you get those kicks?

English_Bob you have been here long enough to know your way around. I understand your point but I disagree with you. It's different when your Thai friends use it as a label to describe a westerner... while your not so friends use it kinda as a derogatory thing. I am semi-fluent in Spanish, when I hung out with latin cats in Harlem they used the term "blanko" and "gringo" to refer to white people. There were 2 ways those terms were used. Playfully and pretty damn out right nasty.

What it comes down to is if your ok with being called that, that's cool. I rather not have people refer to me ---> hey you, that "white thing", from that land of "white things". If Kon Thai want to treat me as a person, I'd prefer that they refer to me by my culture rather than the massive group of people that share somewhat similar facial structure and skin pigment.

AND WTF VOTED IT as POSITIVE??? *Smacks your Punk ass*

I have to agree with you, Farang is a negative reference to White ppl. when i ever hear the word, I see the same kind of discriptions u mention come after the word.

sometimes ppl dont even know what they are saying is negative and always thought nothing of it. like the word, Khamen. I had my Khmer friends calling themselves Khamen when we were talking about Cambodia. I was like, U know what Khamen means? they didnt really think about it until i explained it.

we just call black ppl, Kon Dam.

You're a liar

...and a bad one at that.

I'm a condom...WTF?

I guess that means I am a protector of sorts :roll: :wink:

But doesn't all cultures have a name or nickname for so called outsiders

or non aboriginals? I think farang is a misunderstood word such as creole

which ironically was orginally used in association with colonist of french or spanish decent who had been born their and native of the land. The french used it to associate it with people that spoke french but not born and bred in france which were whites and blacks. But of course if you ask any american it will mean something entirely diffrent. how did I know this a frenchperson told me this and my eyes kinda opened wide I looked it up and it was true it just goes to show you if you are brought up believeing something it is not always necessarly fact. so what's my point lables and names tend to morph over periods of time. gaijin is a japanese outsider.

yeah ..... luckily for U westerners doesn't need U to pronounce the R's !! :twisted: :twisted:

yeah ..... luckily for U westerners doesn't need U to pronounce the R's !! :twisted: :twisted:

:twisted:

:twisted:

Cut out the flirting and stick to the damn topic... ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

i always thougt Farang ment French, since Muang Farang means Country of France.

huh? isn't that Muang Farangset? :eh:

You're right Neo. Muang Farangset = France. Muang Farang could mean any country from USA to England.

Not to jump on Falang_Bob's wagon, but shouldn't MiaDai know the Thai word for France?

You're right Neo. Muang Farangset = France. Muang Farang could mean any country from USA to England.

Not to jump on Falang_Bob's wagon, but shouldn't MiaDai know the Thai word for France?

why ??? surely only thais or falangs with a basic knowledge of thai should be expected to know that !!! :twisted: :twisted:

why ??? surely only thais or falangs with a basic knowledge of thai should be expected to know that !!! :twisted: :twisted:

You'll never know :lol: :wink:

à»ç¹¤¹ä·Â¢Õ鹡??? :shock: I also would have thought that the more common expression would be 'Bra-thet Farangset'?

:lol: No one is going to say Muang Farangset, as in most ppl will not go the length and say Farang Dam.

Most Thai will just simply say Pathat Falang or Muang Falang for France. maybe if u go into a university setting and having an academic debate they will say it in its full entirety, but most Thai off the street will just simply say Pathat Falang for France, :lol:

certainly someone with basic common knowledge of local language would know this.

I have one uncle and one aunt who live in France, several great uncles and great aunts also, we always say Muang Falang when we talk about them, we never ever go say the entire word Falangset. When we talk about our relatives in Germany we say Pi Nong yu Pathat Yalamun, relatives in Australia as pi nong yu Pathet Australee, and as i said before our relatives in France as being Pi Nong yu Pathet Falang. Falangset is never used when we talk about France, even though it maybe the correct way to say it, Falang alone is just as good.

I've Never seen Any THai person confuse Pathat Falang as being anything other then France.

certainly someone with basic common knowledge of local language would know this.

I have one uncle and one aunt who live in France, several great uncles and great aunts also, we always say Muang Falang when we talk about them, we never ever go say the entire word Falangset. When we talk about our relatives in Germany we say Pi Nong yu Pathat Yalamun, relatives in Australia as pi nong yu Pathet Australee, and as i said before our relatives in France as being Pi Nong yu Pathet Falang. Falangset is never used when we talk about France, even though it maybe the correct way to say it, Falang alone is just as good.

I've Never seen Any THai person confuse Pathat Falang as being anything other then France.

Your Thai is basic.... you don't explain ANYTHING like a Thai person. You can't explain Thai letters, accents, tones or idioms.

You write like a guy who picked up a smattering of spoken Thai from hanging out in bars and cheap language schools.

If you were a native speaker, you would be able to give us chapter and verse on your own language.

Your karaoke Thai is embarrassing.

Continue like this, please... it's entertaining to see how much of a **** you are prepared to make yourself look.

Your Thai is basic.... you don't explain ANYTHING like a Thai person. You can't explain Thai letters, accents, tones or idioms.

You write like a guy who picked up a smattering of spoken Thai from hanging out in bars and cheap language schools.

If you were a native speaker, you would be able to give us chapter and verse on your own language.

Your karaoke Thai is embarrassing.

Continue like this, please... it's entertaining to see how much of a d*ck you are prepared to make yourself look.

O waite, i thought u said i was the only who thought falang was a negative reference? Well, someone else proved you wrong, whey dont you acknowledge that? dont want to lose face i c. I thought we were going to leave the name calling out of this? but i guess ur small ego got the best of you.

Farang or Falang, the "R" or the "L" can be prominate in the pronunciation of the word. Ther thrilled "R" sound is not a native sound to Thai ppl, i thought i explain that. Even the word "Ruk," you see more thai ppl tend to say a more pronounced "L" sound as in "Luk," rather then bring in a dominate "R" sound. U cant completely change Thai langauge to Roman letters and have it be absolute, then again, ur buk farang who knows No better.

when i say Pathat instead of prathat, i de-emphasize the "R" pronuncation, and you cant barely hear it. Am more of a native speaker, and tend to rather correctly pronounce my words with less Khmer influence.

O waite, i thought u said i was the only who thought falang was a negative reference? Well, someone else proved you wrong, whey dont you acknowledge that? dont want to lose face i c. I thought we were going to leave the name calling out of this? but i guess ur small ego got the best of you.

Farang or Falang, the "R" or the "L" can be prominate in the pronunciation of the word. Ther thrilled "R" sound is not a native sound to Thai ppl, i thought i explain that. Even the word "Ruk," you see more thai ppl tend to say a more pronounced "L" sound as in "Luk," rather then bring in a dominate "R" sound. U cant completely change Thai langauge to Roman letters and have it be absolute, then again, ur buk farang who knows No better.

when i say Pathat instead of prathat, i de-emphasize the "R" pronuncation, and you cant barely hear it. Am more of a native speaker, and tend to rather correctly pronounce my words with less Khmer influence.

That's the best you can do?

R + L are interchangeable? That's something every tourist knows in their first damn week!!!

The Thai letter à is pronounced as a 'rolled' R and is not easy for Thais to pronounce... in fact many of them simply say 'I'm lazy to pronounce it.'

The Thai letter Ã… is pronounced as a 'heavy' L towards the back of the soft palate.

The problems arise because Thai teachers teach these letters as the equivalent of R + L, which is not correct at all and leads to poor pronunciation.

A 'Native speaker'? What does that mean? You mean ÀÒÉÒà˹×à ÀÒÉÒãµé or ÀÒÉÒ¡ÅÒ§

Please enlighten me... I'm breathless with anticipation to read your next post.

PS I didn't say I was leaving out the name calling... you're a fake... prove me wrong.

Most Thai will just simply say Pathat Falang or Muang Falang for France. maybe if u go into a university setting and having an academic debate they will say it in its full entirety, but most Thai off the street will just simply say Pathat Falang for France, :lol:

Wrong. Pandorea already pointed out the error, and I've never heard Thai people refer to France in that way, and I've just asked all my Thai staff and they said "we never say that". Sorry but I have to agree with Kon Ungrit Bob, you're bs'ing us about your Thai knowledge.

And that story about the R/L is about as credible as the France one. Everyone knows that when Thais speak extremely politely or at official ceremonies the R magically reappears.

Looks like the wheels have fallen off your credibility. Pood pasa Thai maidai.

Wrong. Pandorea already pointed out the error, and I've never heard Thai people refer to France in that way, and I've just asked all my Thai staff and they said "we never say that". Sorry but I have to agree with Kon Ungrit Bob, you're bs'ing us about your Thai knowledge.

And that story about the R/L is about as credible as the France one. Everyone knows that when Thais speak extremely politely or at official ceremonies the R magically reappears.

¹Õâà ¹éÓ¹Ôè§äËÅÅÖ¡

¹Õâà ¹éÓ¹Ôè§äËÅÅÖ¡

this one is more like muddy waters :lol: