Noise in Thailand

Admin_2

Thais are usually a very peaceful people.

But when it comes to noise, no one seems to care. They like TV's blaring in restaurants, clubs are usually way over the top, and your neighbors seem to think that no one else exists.

Inside of my community, everyone is pretty quiet and respectful. However, just over the wall the other neighbors ALWAYS have the TV on loud or else they are blaring music. I've learned to basically deal with this sort of thing as most Thais don't complain if something is bothering them.

Don't people just like a bit of peace and quiet when they get home? Even if something sounds horrible (two different television stations playing at once), Thais just seem to love having noise around.

What's up with that?

Correctomundo!

It seems 'kreng jai' only applies when it's something bothering them. When they need to show consideration for others, it's non-existent.

I used to live in an apartment building with a long corridor. There was one guy who would come home, wedge his door open and put his stereo on full blast so everyone could hear it.

And in Chiang Mai I had huge rows with a couple of hookers who lived in the next two rooms to me. They would come home at 3am and begin a karaoke party every ******* day! And they would also wedge the doors open so they could shout to each other while in separate rooms.

And because the music was so loud, when they wanted to make a phone call, they would make it outside my door....

My approach was as follows...

Day 1 - "Kor tot khrap... I'm next door trying to sleep. Would you mind turning the music down please?"

Day 2 - "Hi... me again. Sorry, the music is too loud again.. I have to work tomorrow... thanks."

Day 3 - "This is the third day I have been round here... please turn the music down."

Day 4 - "Turn the music down... NOW!"

Day 5 - "YOU ******* STUPID ******* WHORES, I'LL ******* KILL THE LOT OF YOU... TURN THAT ******* MUSIC DOWN NOW OR I'LL SMASH THE ******* THING OVER YOUR ******* HEAD... WHAT THE **** DID YOU THINK WAS GONNA HAPPEN? DID YOU THINK I WAS GONNA BE POLITE EVERY ******* DAY? (customer approaches) WHO THE **** ARE YOU? ******* WHOREMONGER! SHUT THE **** UP... MIND YOUR OWN ******* BUSINESS BEFORE YOU GET ******* HURT."

Actually things didn't get any better and I ended up moving out and fighting to get my security deposit back because I left before the end of my contract. :lol:

im telling u invest in speakers and make them suffer. :D i can do this all day baby.

i was living in harlem in 2000... and my hoddy neighbor loved blasting hip hop at unholy hours of the night. i tried to be polite... but then gave up and blasted the most evil music I had at the time at a volume level that would set off car alarms. After 24hrs he knocked on my door and we had a deal.

But when it comes to noise, no one seems to care. They like TV's blaring in restaurants, clubs are usually way over the top, and your neighbors seem to think that no one else exists.

Inside of my community, everyone is pretty quiet and respectful. However, just over the wall the other neighbors ALWAYS have the TV on loud or else they are blaring music. I've learned to basically deal with this sort of thing as most Thais don't complain if something is bothering them.

Don't people just like a bit of peace and quiet when they get home? Even if something sounds horrible (two different television stations playing at once), Thais just seem to love having noise around.

What's up with that?

Was in a shoe store the other day and they had the music so loud there was no way you could hear anyone. Guess they just enjoy it.

But worse - the neighbory across the soi with the dogs. Bark, Bark, Bark... and he never does anything.

What's up with that?

Was in a shoe store the other day and they had the music so loud there was no way you could hear anyone. Guess they just enjoy it.

But worse - the neighbory across the soi with the dogs. Bark, Bark, Bark... and he never does anything.

I've got the same issue over the fence. Even Yoma puts his paws over his ears!

I guess I've been lucky so far. The 3 houses I've lived in have all been peaceful sanctuaries... birds, squirrels, nice breezes and shade, water sounds and lots of greenery. I don't even have soi dogs to bother me either.

Even here, where I am now, in almost the center of Bkk in Soi 14, the loudest I hear are birds or the ice cream guy meandering down the soi outside. My neighbors are great too. Rare that they have parties or even make noise.

Bangkok is a very noisy, stressful place to be in every day. So for me, my home needs to be my escape from all that, for my health and my sanity. And besides, I would never, ever, ever live in an apartment. I would just die of unhappiness if I was made to live in one.

Luckily I don't have any noise problems at home.

What I really hate is the people with microphones in shopping malls. The combination of high volume, inane babble, and acoustics that mean you couldn't understand them even you were remotely interested.

That and the constant construction noise everywhere you go.

I guess I've been lucky so far. The 3 houses I've lived in have all been peaceful sanctuaries... birds, squirrels, nice breezes and shade, water sounds and lots of greenery. I don't even have soi dogs to bother me either.

Even here, where I am now, in almost the center of Bkk in Soi 14, the loudest I hear are birds or the ice cream guy meandering down the soi outside. My neighbors are great too. Rare that they have parties or even make noise.

Bangkok is a very noisy, stressful place to be in every day. So for me, my home needs to be my escape from all that, for my health and my sanity. And besides, I would never, ever, ever live in an apartment. I would just die of unhappiness if I was made to live in one.

I gave up on the apartment thing 2-3 years ago as well (mostly so that I could get a dog), but haven't been as fortunate with my neighbors. It just takes one...just one to screw it up for the rest of the area.

Yet no one complains for two reasons:

Fear of losing face

Complaints will fall on deaf ears (pun intended)

lets have a sounds war :P

That would not work. Admin wouldn't want to come home finding Yoma is poisoned.

May be time to get a fruit basket and get to know your neighbors a bit. A farang come visit with a gift, WOW. You scracth their back, they will scratch yours.

I did that with all my real neighbors already...the people on the other side of the wall...

To be honest, I don't even know how to get there except for a pole vault!

Also in Chiang Mai, I used to date a girl and we got pretty serious - I even met her family - Dad and two brothers.

We broke up and lost contact until 2 years later, we connected on MSN and I asked about her brothers.

She told me the oldest one was dead!

Apparently the neighbour's dog was barking, so the brother went round to complain. There were some words exchanged and the brother came back to the house.

Two minutes later the doorbell rang. When the brother went to answer it, the neighbour was standing on the doorstep with a pistol and shot him in the face.

And predictably enough never faced justice because he was 'a very important man'.

Also in Chiang Mai, I used to date a girl and we got pretty serious - I even met her family - Dad and two brothers.

We broke up and lost contact until 2 years later, we connected on MSN and I asked about her brothers.

She told me the oldest one was dead!

Apparently the neighbour's dog was barking, so the brother went round to complain. There were some words exchanged and the brother came back to the house.

Two minutes later the doorbell rang. When the brother went to answer it, the neighbour was standing on the doorstep with a pistol and shot him in the face.

And predictably enough never faced justice because he was 'a very important man'.

Come to think of it, the barking ain't *that* bad. I mean, the little guy is probably really cute. It's cool with me.

:shock: :roll: :lol:

• 9 months later...

As people has nothing important to tell each other, as real deep culture tend to dissapear, people do not want to realize this empty place in their mind, and they fullfill it with the noise...

Same with average music quality decreasing: to "feel" something, they replace it witth bass sounds boosting...

To be positive, thailand is also a place where you can easily access meditation places in the temples, and where being monk for a while is possible, and a part of "normal" education in some families.

Land of contrast is the right viewpoint...

Same for politics: land an of smile and peace is difficult to connect with the recent troubles and violence in the streets! :shock: