Thai road safety.

funky_house

Question

I was just reading this article from the News page in TF. The figures are quite unbelievable. It brings home just how dangerous Thai roads actually are.

The death toll of road accidents throughout Thailand during the first four days of the seven New Year holidays rose to 278, the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department announced Saturday.

The Department's director-general Anucha Mokkhawes said 2,793 road accidents occurred from Tuesday to Friday, killing 278 people and injuring 2,996 others.

On Friday alone, 464 accidents occurred, killing 52 people and injuring 492 others :shock:

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I find Thai drivers courteous and always aware of others around them...maybe I've just been lucky.

I can't believe that statement! I've found Thai drivers to be COMPLETELY unaware of what's going on around them.

They cut people up, don't signal and have no idea about road positioning. They need TWO lanes for a left turn, drive too fast everywhere and park in selfish places.

If they are aware of their surroundings, why do they need a whistle-blowing security guard to park or get out of their apartment car park?

They are comparing to New Zealand and making it sound like a scary place to drive. :shock:

I don't know... when I drive 120 km/hr here in NY, it's average speed. When I drive the same on a major Roi-Et interprovince road, I feel like I am in a rocketship that at any moment could become a pinball. I don't think Thai drivers are that bad. I just think the poor roads offer the ability for them to suck. Is that ridiculous?

Some countryside major roads have a speed limit of 90 km/hr. When u factor in those blind motorcyclists merging onto the shoulders of the roadway at full speed without looking, watermelon stands when you least expect them (both which are perfectly legal), and drivers leaving their houses pulling onto the roadway at minimal speed, the speed limit should be reduced by at least 20-30 km/hr.

I would guess most of the accidents on every holiday happen on crappy country roads rather than on the nice highways in Bangkok where there aren't any distractions to surprise the s**t out of people!

I find Thai drivers courteous and always aware of others around them...maybe I've just been lucky.

I can't believe that statement! I've found Thai drivers to be COMPLETELY unaware of what's going on around them.

They cut people up, don't signal and have no idea about road positioning. They need TWO lanes for a left turn, drive too fast everywhere and park in selfish places.

If they are aware of their surroundings, why do they need a whistle-blowing security guard to park or get out of their apartment car park?

I think it's a different attitude altogether. Thai drivers rely on everyone looking out for eachother and treating traffic as a fluid flow rather than as special individuals in strict legally enforced lanes. When you look at it this way it's easy to see Thai drivers as gracious and courteous in comparison to other countries.

I was just reading this article from the News page in TF. The figures are quite unbelievable. It brings home just how dangerous Thai roads actually are.

The Department's director-general Anucha Mokkhawes said 2,793 road accidents occurred from Tuesday to Friday, killing 278 people and injuring 2,996 others.

On Friday alone, 464 accidents occurred, killing 52 people and injuring 492 others :shock:

No comment on driving skills as the reality speaks for itself.

However, these figures are actually a significant improvement on say 5 years ago when they would have been twice as much. There has been a significant reduction in accident rates, fatalities and injuries during the last few years so depressing though the current status may be at least the trends are going in the right direction.

I'll post the figures when I get back to BKK and find a recent UN report on road aciident rates in SE Asia.

Proper enforcement of helmet laws for all persons (not just the rider) would bring a huge reduction in all figures (just look at vietnam in the last year after new helemt laws were introduced).

Drive safe one and all!

I have not found the UN report in respect of the overall significant decrease over the last 5 years but this report in the Post on 6 Jan indicates a significant decrease from last years figures (albeit from a high base);

Road accidents have so far claimed 335 lives and left 3,810 people injured, as the seven-day New Year road safety campaign entered its final day yesterday. The statistics, however, show a decline from last year's figures.

Interior Ministry permanent secretary Peerapol Traitosawit said from Dec 30 to Jan 5, 3,549 road accidents took place countrywide, a figure that is down by 13.88% compared to the previous year.

The number of overall deaths and injuries was down by 9.21% and 15.6%.

Source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/9193/road-deaths-down-9-on-last-year

MOst places would be happy with a respective 9% and 15% decrease but obviously it needs to come down significantly more.

These statistics in an article the next day on the 7th of Jan are pretty compelling and back up what many have said regarding the huge amount of motorcycle accidents;

Interior Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul, a deputy director of the centre, said motorcycles were involved in 84% of road accidents. Nearly half of the victims were children and youths under 25, or 44% of the total. Most of the accidents, or 67%, were reported on straight stretches of road and at night.

Source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/9244/most-ny-fatalities-blamed-on-booze

The death toll of road accidents throughout Thailand during the first four days of the seven New Year holidays rose to 278, the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department announced Saturday.

Thats great to put up "part of the report" but not all of it?

"Drink driving is still the biggest cause of road accidents during the long holiday, with the second biggest cause being speeding. Most road mishaps involved motorcycles and took place between 4pm and 8pm."

It's not the road dude, it's the drivers piloting the vehicles.

That's like say how many guns kill people...

People kill people not guns (by themselves) just as the "roads" do not kill people.

its not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end of the fall.

(Physics 101)

"Drink driving is still the biggest cause of road accidents during the long holiday, with the second biggest cause being speeding. Most road mishaps involved motorcycles and took place between 4pm and 8pm."

People kill people not guns (by themselves) just as the "roads" do not kill people.

(Physics 101)

I agree, but that doesn't make the figures any less shocking, and if there are that many drunks out there, then the roads are dangerous whichever way you look at it.

I seem to vaguely remember having read recently that on average 23 people die in bike related accidents every day on Thailand's roads. Wish I could remember were I read it and from when those figures were but I can't.

We came across the aftermath one of those accidents when we were taking the bus from BKK to Chumphon just before New Year. A couple of police vehicles first followed by some bike and fairing bits strewn across the highway and a few body bags next to a squashed bike/scooter.

On a lighter note, I rented a scrambler for 10 days when I was in CM a few weeks ago. Aside from the highways, which I tried to stay clear off because they were a bit mental, I had a fantastic time riding around CM and the Mae Hong Son loop. Like somebody pointed out already, just going with the flow helps a lot. That and anticipating every other rider/driver to be of suicidal disposition keeps you safe. :wink:

(Physics 101)

I agree, but that doesn't make the figures any less shocking, and if there are that many drunks out there, then the roads are dangerous whichever way you look at it.

The average number of road deaths per day in Thailand is somewhere around 36 or 38. It's not just drunks, although that is a big part of it.

Too many single lane roads, too many poorly designed highways/expressways, too many people who simply buy their licenses without passing a test or really learning to drive, too many people chattering on their mobile phones whle behind the wheel, too many people who believe that when karma says it's your time it's your time so do whatever you want, and just the general lack of thought and awareness of safety.

I was out there over the new year holiday period and i was totally amazed at the number of single vehicle accidents i witnessed on straight stretches of road.

Thats the part that gets me, how can anyone just crash going straight??

so crazy and so dangerous for innocent people...

I was out there over the new year holiday period and i was totally amazed at the number of single vehicle accidents i witnessed on straight stretches of road.

changing lanes without knowing or caring about what's happening around U !!

however, if u think traffic here is bad ... sri lanka was worse ... much f**king worse and i've been told india and pakistan driving has to be seen to be believed !!!

Never did want to drive in Bangkok and avoided it most of the time. Getting out on the country roads to right up North were fine.. Not much traffic..

Haven't been to Thailand for four years so no idea what Bangkok looks like now..

1991 getting a Taxi from Bangkok airport was a case of risking your life with the driver having one hand on the wheel, and his other three on the horn and knob!

Never did want to drive in Bangkok and avoided it most of the time. Getting out on the country roads to right up North were fine.. Not much traffic..

Haven't been to Thailand for four years so no idea what Bangkok looks like now..

1991 getting a Taxi from Bangkok airport was a case of risking your life with the driver having one hand on the wheel, and his other three on the horn and knob!

Ahhhhhhhh KNOB, there's a word i haven't used for a while.

With the return of KK, you might be using it a LOT more in the not so distant future. :wink:

however, if u think traffic here is bad ... sri lanka was worse ... much f**king worse and i've been told india and pakistan driving has to be seen to be believed !!!

I saw a documentary about drivers in India once. I recall that the narrator said that Indian belief in reincarnation had a great bearing on their wild driving. No fear of death. Whether this is true or not I don't know, but I can assure you, they are crazy drivers.

Once we were in a cab, and my girlfriend at the time was screaming at our taxi driver to slow down, but he just continued speeding along, while laughing like a maniac.

Who will be the first to say, "If you don't like it, bugger off home"

Place your bets!!!

Yes and all thing write here are by fat sex tourist farang who stay Pattaya and take poor Thai lady and dont love Thai people. Bad guy stay away me please!!! Thailand dont need farang money any more! You who drink beer is bad guy mak mak! Thai man always do good to lady for everything. And drive very well and is always smiling and polite.

Quite convincing until the "Thai man always do good". Don't know why they are so down on the guys.

I saw a documentary about drivers in India once. I recall that the narrator said that Indian belief in reincarnation had a great bearing on their wild driving. No fear of death. Whether this is true or not I don't know, but I can assure you, they are crazy drivers.

Once we were in a cab, and my girlfriend at the time was screaming at our taxi driver to slow down, but he just continued speeding along, while laughing like a maniac.

You just made the point. They ARE afraid of dying, but they just don't give a **** about who ever else dies in the process.

I read that 23% of accidents are caused by people under the influence of alcohol.

And 19% are caused by excessive speed.

That still leaves a whopping 58% of accidents caused by people with too little alcohol in their system driving too slowly...

I demand an inquiry.

(All statistic are completely true - except for the ones I just made up)

there are some more points -

Ignorance 1 - who cares if there is rain on the roads. Slippery, nooo..same speed as usual, especially with tuk-tuks,

thai macadam is probably the hardest in the world. Not a single drop of water will drain,

ignorance 2 - lorries with full diesel tanks speeding and cutting curves - who cares about the spilled oil on the surface and what the heck about the next motorbike riders safety,

utter absence of any state controlled regular safety inspection on vehicles every two years - in my opinion 75 % of all vehicles would be withdrawn from the road, if there were german technical standards. Thanks god there arent the same, so I can still afford to rent a bike and have an adventureous ride.

@Dr.Mike - correct, german roads are very safe to drive but I recommend some driving lesson for any foreigner before using the Autobahn. At full speed perception and anticipation are a bit different.

These were the last stats I have been able to find and that was back in '96 as is apparent when we opened a school for safe driving at Bira Race Circuit in conjunction and sponsered by a major auto dealer in Bangkok back then. Check out Thailand and a little arithmetic gives you some idea .... 46 deaths a day and I think the stats are about 80% motor bikes but not sure on that anymore. Not much has changed and quite frankly after closing down the school for lack of participation and willingness on the part of the concerned authorities I couldn't care less anymore but always saddens me to know it was or still is, approx. 2 deaths occurring every hour so to speak.

No driving schools to speak of and driving tests are a joke and during one of the excursions to the relevant concerns we were consulting with actually witnessed the driving test official guiding the applicant in the parallel parking section of the test. Not easy to change things here and I dont need to elaborate on how long it takes for any law legistlation to lack enforcement and to fall by the wayside

I love this country until I have to ride in a car so I try not to anymore

If only they'd introduce the UK Highway Code ... lol ... as with my six driving licences i accummulated on my life's travels my UK licence is the one I'm most proud of ... EXCELLENT system especially the flashing of headlights gives the right of way just to name one which is an incredible idea for stopping hesitant decisions and I've never seen it elswhere correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.factbook.net/EGRF_Regional_analyses_AsiaPacific.htm

The New Year's tragedy really upset me especially losing a very lovely dear friend from here but what actually went thru my mind at the time was what about the three hundred plus that died on the roads that weekend for very similar reasons of lack of endeavour to prevent Thais dying unnecessarily everyday.