What's the best anti virus software out there

drlovelife8

Must admit I have hated Norton products since the day I found that the only way to eliminate the damned thing from my system was to format the f*cking hard drive..OK...that was a while ago now, and maybe they have improved.

I had McAfee for many years, but it did let a few nasties through, so I eventually removed it and installed Avast! It updates not less than once a day, and so far nothing bad has been able to get a toe-hold...it's detected everything in emails, files sent to me, or disks with dodgy software...so I am pleased with the results.

I too heard that Kaspersky was very good, but never having used it, I can't comment except with that hear-say...

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

the best anti-virus, as the Macman suggested, is to use something other than Windows crap.

if 98% of the people in the world use the same operating system, well that makes it prettydamn simple for the geniuses that are writing the serious malware nowadays. as soon as you use something that operates even a little differently you dramatically reduce your chances of having your hardware used for purposes other than YOU intend.

the opensource software is now far superior to anything the World's Biggest Thief has ever come up with [which is why this last quarter is the first time ever that Windows obscene profits have dropped off]. you can download something like Kubuntu or Puppylinux FOR FREE and run it off of a live CD (without installing it to your computer) and see how it works for you. FREE FREE FREE with active community support.

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS GIVE BILL GATES MONEY.

Windows at 100bt per copy is STILL overpriced.

[acourse, humans worldwide connecting using the Internet and cooperating to create something useful and beautiful, cooperatin for some reason other than naked greed, that's going to make the fundimentalist doctrinaire capitalistas uncomfortable. . . TOO BAD :-(]

Its all fine and wonderful to say "Switch to a Mac, because no-one has written a virus for it yet." but think about it...if everyone did switch over (totally impractical and will never happen) then the virus writers (who should be hung by the balls till they are dead) will simply switch to writing viruses for that system...the Mac defence seems always to be based on a couple of things, and the point that 98% of the world is using a particular OS while Apple do not, is hardly going to give me much confidence...

I am not great Microsoft supporter by any means (I am very pissed off with Vista - which reminds me of another crock...Windows ME) and maybe it is quite true that Macs dont suffer from much hacking as yet, but thats not going to help people who already own a PC with Windows XYZ running...which is the great majority for now, and possibly for a long time.

Its all fine and wonderful to say "Switch to a Mac, because no-one has written a virus for it yet." but think about it...if everyone did switch over (totally impractical and will never happen) then the virus writers (who should be hung by the balls till they are dead) will simply switch to writing viruses for that system...the Mac defence seems always to be based on a couple of things, and the point that 98% of the world is using a particular OS while Apple do not, is hardly going to give me much confidence...

I am not great Microsoft supporter by any means (I am very pissed off with Vista - which reminds me of another crock...Windows ME) and maybe it is quite true that Macs dont suffer from much hacking as yet, but thats not going to help people who already own a PC with Windows XYZ running...which is the great majority for now, and possibly for a long time.

I totally forgot about viruses.

Honestly switch to mac :wink:

I totally forgot about viruses.

Honestly switch to mac :wink:

As long as Autodesk's AutoCAD products and CATIA V5 don't support MAC, I have to keep my Windows System clean with hardware firewalls, an always "updated system" and http://www.virustotal.com/

Yes me too - I have to run AutoCAD products. There may be similar products for Mac, but unless 100% compatible (and I already know AutoCAD very well) I cant change - my industry uses AutoCAD...

I used to use AVG and bought it but recently after an update it let an update of Zone Alarm through that had a virus.

My son is a web developer and he recommended I use Avast which is a free virus protection.

I find although slowing my computer a touch it certainly is brilliant and it scans 100% of your computer along with scanning on power off and updates auto and tells you with voice.

I quite often go into our Hospital IT area which is the biggest Hospital in Australia and they use Norton but one of the IT dudes tells me viruses still get in and are getting written every day to try get through even secure computer systems.

As long as Autodesk's AutoCAD products and CATIA V5 don't support MAC, I have to keep my Windows System clean with hardware firewalls, an always "updated system" and http://www.virustotal.com/

Yes me too - I have to run AutoCAD products. There may be similar products for Mac, but unless 100% compatible (and I already know AutoCAD very well) I cant change - my industry uses AutoCAD...

If you're really serious about keeping your work system clean then you can run all internet apps in a virtual machine (e.g. vmware). That way if anything gets through you can just delete the vm and reinstall windows in a new one without affecting any work apps or data. You can even copy and paste between your real machine and the vm.