Bangkok Mar 12-14

bigKus

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it is virtually impossible to see or have any sort of informed debate about the Political situation in Thailand on this website but still we try!

Vexatious and snide comments which constantly attack the poster rather than the content of a post are so common that it drowns out any hope of clarity. However if one wanted to actually see the bigger picture and understand what is going on in Thailand and how things might develop then below is the sort of in depth analysis that can shed some light on all related matters.

Pls, pls, pls! This was asked of you last time and has been mentioned previously in this thread, if your going to post long text pls attribute it.

Either a source with publisher and date or even better a link as well. It is not only a basic rule in any debate but will assist you in your attempt to convince others "to actually see the bigger picture and understand what is going on in Thailand".

That is unless your asserting that you wrote the above 3 pieces?

Very much a Songkhran atmosphere on Lat Prao earlier too. Some bystanders were even throwing water.

Better water than the recent trends of blood or faeces!!!

+1 na...

Over 40 degree cel. like this the heat might kill them na...

I heard one of them just faint and fell off motorbike. Hope someone take care of this guy.

I only flung poo cos it seemed the right thing to do at the time.

...and because you had it coming.

:twisted:

Just got caught up in the moment...

Come on.

Like no one else has.

Hope I never encounter you at a party when your "caught up in the moment", drunk as a skunk and have a full bowel to fling! :shock: :lol:

Seems to be a wealth of M79 grenades being exploded around BKK at key govt/military locations in the last week or so! http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/172476/blasts-at-cabinet-meeting-venue

Still all pretty safe in BKK as each attack seems suspiciously targetted to maximise security fears but to minimise injuries to those in the vacinity.

Seems to be a wealth of M79 grenades being exploded around BKK at key govt/military locations in the last week or so! http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/172476/blasts-at-cabinet-meeting-venue

Still all pretty safe in BKK as each attack seems suspiciously targetted to maximise security fears but to minimise injuries to those in the vacinity.

7 blasts altogether no one injured no one get caught ...ummm :roll:

7 blasts altogether no one injured no one get caught ...ummm :roll:

This was less than a kilometer from my house. I drove by this morning and all the gates to the ministry were closed. There were about 6 rows of meter high barbed wire rolls after the 15 foot high steel gates...then rows of military dudes in full riot gear after that. I drove by just before 9 AM and all seemed calm and under control at that point...

The Usual Suspects?

Most likely Bruce as it does seem a consistent pattern by the 'untouchable major-general SD' and his mates.

But people forget the fact that the last few years of political struggle have been a nice earner for the armed forces and the police all who have been kitted out with riot control gear, extra toys and loads of cash by the last 5 govts.

Thus it may not exactly be a bad thing for various factions in the armed forces to have more grenades going off at a juncture where the political struggle is going to be prolonged and your faction is looking to stock up with new toys for the future.

It is just like expanding the South gravy train to the rest of the country......

not sure what i heard was right...

Red shirt will have rally again this Saturday.

Speaking of the rally... I don't think they are poor... as I told you I was in the rally last Saturday... around with shiny new trucks and cars... which some of middle class like me can't buy. :roll: just my observation.

Concerning the location of the bombings, they have such nice offices, and supplies, with big budgets, but seem to have the worst video surveilence cameras available. This seems to be a recurring problem all over Thailand, very bad quality cameras. For the cost of one m79 gernade, you could instead buy 3 high quality video cameras, at the very least to see who originally stole these gernades..........lol.

Of course it is virtually impossible to see or have any sort of informed debate about the Political situation in Thailand on this website but still we try!

Vexatious and snide comments which constantly attack the poster rather than the content of a post are so common that it drowns out any hope of clarity. However if one wanted to actually see the bigger picture and understand what is going on in Thailand and how things might develop then below is the sort of in depth analysis that can shed some light on all related matters.

Pls, pls, pls! This was asked of you last time and has been mentioned previously in this thread, if your going to post long text pls attribute it.

Either a source with publisher and date or even better a link as well. It is not only a basic rule in any debate but will assist you in your attempt to convince others "to actually see the bigger picture and understand what is going on in Thailand".

More pointless and irrelevant rubbish from the usual sources. Who cares who wrote the piece? No it was not me!

I also refer you and the other smart asses to all my previous posts. Keep reading the content and taking on board the points and perspectives expressed and you have some chance of accurately and better informing yourself, not to mention avoiding misrepresenting me and my views on the issues.

You are not alone in doing this here but you do take it to a new level, and ignorant comments about my geographic location at any given time just underline the fact that you refuse to engage with the actual content of posts regardless of who is the source or poster.

In point of fact the identity of the person who wrote those three articles is UNKNOWN I happen to agree with the overall thrust and focus of the article and defer to it as being more knowledgeable and informed than me.

It makes sense and adds up to a logical and coherent set of views, as opposed to the mind numbing parroting we see too often from people who begin and end their whole view of Thai politics and developments by going on and on and on about MR T without addressing the bigger and more pertinent issues facing Thailand. Essentially it is a smokescreen to avoid confronting the real problems at root.

The reds can not be dismissed so lightly or with such disdain, as any country that sees 100 k people on the streets has issues to deal with. 100k on the streets is an amazing number and regardless of the fact that they wanted 1 million it is still very significant and more so considering the more rural and provincial nature of the red movement. Harder for them to organize themselves and coordinate as effectively as would reflect the level of support they hold throughout Thailand.

I also refer you to another very good post which makes a lot of sense.

The level of disdain and bias among the educated middle-class and the elite, mostly in Bangkok, is appalling. They're not just ignorant about the plight of the poor, but are indifferent to it.

In fact, they failed to realise the red shirts managed to shut down a good part of downtown Sukhumvit despite the mainstream media predicting the protesters had already lost the battle.

The level of real contact between the middle-class and the elite with the poor is mostly superficial and confined to relationships where the latter are servants and subordinates.

The middle-class and elite feel that they are entitled to being superior and that the poor should know their place in life.

Therefore, when the poor continue supporting Thaksin, many of the well-off folk in Bangkok have no problems supporting a military coup.

Nevertheless, nothing is as incoherent as the belief that only the educated middle-class and the elite are qualified to run this country.

One must consider how backward Thailand remains politically and economically when compared to countries like South Korea to appreciate what a "marvellous job" the elite and the middle class have been doing for the Kingdom.

If the upper echelons of society have been screwing-up Thailand for the past many decades, might it not be fair for the poor to now say: "Enough is enough", and seek a chance to run or ruin this country too?

Source:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/03/18/politics/Rally-symbolic-of-a-brewing-class-struggle-30124949.html

The Usual Suspects?

Most likely Bruce as it does seem a consistent pattern by the 'untouchable major-general SD' and his mates.

But people forget the fact that the last few years of political struggle have been a nice earner for the armed forces and the police all who have been kitted out with riot control gear, extra toys and loads of cash by the last 5 govts.

Thus it may not exactly be a bad thing for various factions in the armed forces to have more grenades going off at a juncture where the political struggle is going to be prolonged and your faction is looking to stock up with new toys for the future.

It is just like expanding the South gravy train to the rest of the country......

At least, basically here I agree

The poor did have a chance to run this country, another point people seem to forget, when they elected Thaksin, and he did ruin the country, creating the biggest devision between people in the history of Thai politics. Then they had 2 other chances when they elected Thaksin puppets that were simply concerned only with exonerating Thaksin's wrongs, and creating policy that would allow him to return with full pardon for his wrongs. They didn't even take time to fill the cabinet posts, and create a funtioning gov't, before they tried to get him exonorated.

These are the people the poor elected to represent them in running the country. Were they ever truly represented? No. They were thrown a few baubles, with the outcome, if Thaksin was still in office, of them all loosing their land when their cheap loans came due last year, and they couldn't pay them. The current gov't forgot those loans, but you can bet that Thaksin's business PHD would never have allowed those delinquent loans to be forgotten. He would have simply foreclosed, thus guarenteeing cheap labor in crop production on his gov't owned land. After all the biggest determining factor in staying competitive in the world markets is to have the cheapest labor. Thaksin knew this, and was educated in how to do this most effectively, yet the poor never for a second had a clue to his alterior motives.

So, don't be fooled that the poor haven't had their chance at running the gov't. They have, and the fallout of their actions created A convicted criminal that's only objective is to con the poor into giving him a full pardon, and returning his illegally aquired money. And returning him to power so he can continue to rob from them, and the rest of the country, with their full blessing, and creating the biggest devision of the people in the history of Thailand.

More pointless and irrelevant rubbish from the usual sources. Who cares who wrote the piece? No it was not me!

I also refer you and the other smart asses to all my previous posts. Keep reading the content and taking on board the points and perspectives expressed and you have some chance of accurately and better informing yourself, not to mention avoiding misrepresenting me and my views on the issues.

You are not alone in doing this here but you do take it to a new level, and ignorant comments about my geographic location at any given time just underline the fact that you refuse to engage with the actual content of posts regardless of who is the source or poster.

In point of fact the identity of the person who wrote those three articles is UNKNOWN I happen to agree with the overall thrust and focus of the article and defer to it as being more knowledgeable and informed than me.

It makes sense and adds up to a logical and coherent set of views, as opposed to the mind numbing parroting we see too often from people who begin and end their whole view of Thai politics and developments by going on and on and on about MR T without addressing the bigger and more pertinent issues facing Thailand. Essentially it is a smokescreen to avoid confronting the real problems at root.

The reds can not be dismissed so lightly or with such disdain, as any country that sees 100 k people on the streets has issues to deal with. 100k on the streets is an amazing number and regardless of the fact that they wanted 1 million it is still very significant and more so considering the more rural and provincial nature of the red movement. Harder for them to organize themselves and coordinate as effectively as would reflect the level of support they hold throughout Thailand.

I also refer you to another very good post which makes a lot of sense.

The level of disdain and bias among the educated middle-class and the elite, mostly in Bangkok, is appalling. They're not just ignorant about the plight of the poor, but are indifferent to it.

In fact, they failed to realise the red shirts managed to shut down a good part of downtown Sukhumvit despite the mainstream media predicting the protesters had already lost the battle.

The level of real contact between the middle-class and the elite with the poor is mostly superficial and confined to relationships where the latter are servants and subordinates.

The middle-class and elite feel that they are entitled to being superior and that the poor should know their place in life.

Therefore, when the poor continue supporting Thaksin, many of the well-off folk in Bangkok have no problems supporting a military coup.

Nevertheless, nothing is as incoherent as the belief that only the educated middle-class and the elite are qualified to run this country.

One must consider how backward Thailand remains politically and economically when compared to countries like South Korea to appreciate what a "marvellous job" the elite and the middle class have been doing for the Kingdom.

If the upper echelons of society have been screwing-up Thailand for the past many decades, might it not be fair for the poor to now say: "Enough is enough", and seek a chance to run or ruin this country too?

Source:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/03/18/politics/Rally-symbolic-of-a-brewing-class-struggle-30124949.html

Afook,,,,, is that you ?????

hrrr no matter who he is...

let's relax with this music video...

And as if to underline my point we get another pointless post about Mr T?

I am no fan of MR T but is he any worse than the current puppet PM actually no!

The key issue for Thailand is that it needs to have a mature functioning political system that is in some way accountable to the people as opposed to some Army people behind the scenes and other vested interests who, more often than not, fit into the mode of being classed as behind the scenes elites. mostly based around the Bangkok establishment.

Democracy however crap was the best chance to progress Thailand and if the same energy and imagination could be used as was used to divide the people and then instigate a coup in 2006 then Mr T could and would have been got rid of in a political way and Thailand would not have reverted to being another Junta nation with a puppet for PM. Yes it would have been very hard to topple Mr T but it would have been possible if as so many claim he was so crooked and bad! All governments are actually shite! Everywhere!

So the key is to have systems and institutions in place that hold them accountable and subject to the will of the people [at least to some extent]

Have a democratic system in place [call elections] and then when you have a mandate from the people you can move forward. If that means the parties aligned to MR T and friends winning then so be it- Then we can try to change peoples minds and get them to change their votes. That may take time but it is worth it IN THE LONG RUN.

At some point there will have to be a third way/or influence for Thailand as all this Red V Yellow shirt type of politics is going to do is keep the country divided and make people more and more despondent about politics.

In the end [however long it may take] the Reds will most likely gain power in some form or other [rightly or wrongly] or Thailand will end up run by a junta more overtly than it is currently. With the PM as a puppet albeit a photogenic and schoolboy muppet.

There has got to be compromise on both sides and a bit of give and take needs to happen fast. Otherwise trust will never be possible and it will be constant turmoil.

Im not gonna get into the ins and out (and shake it all about) with this argument as I dont know enough about it, all I want to know is; is it still gong on? if so, is there any sign of it stopping?

There hasn't been much said over the past few days on here, and it doesnt really make the news in the UK.

So...whats the craic?

There's no blood (spilled donations or otherwise) on the streets and hence there is no point for the international news media to report much. Which is of course good for the Thai folks.

Anyway, yes the Red's are still about albeit in much smaller numbers. They plan a 'biggish' march again for Saturday and say they will carry on ad infintum or until the house is resolved and elections are called, whichever comes first. I'm a bit surprised they stayed this long as it is but somehow don't think they really going to carry on marching around Bangkok for the next few months. We'll see though, won't we. :wink:

Im not gonna get into the ins and out (and shake it all about) with this argument as I dont know enough about it, all I want to know is; is it still gong on? if so, is there any sign of it stopping?

There hasn't been much said over the past few days on here, and it doesnt really make the news in the UK.

So...whats the craic?

+1 :?