wierd thai behaviour in TF events ??

marco_funny

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 3 Bhats worth.

..one member has even done a massive U-turn and now is saying they wish it was like before...after sending me PMs complaining .

Are you talking about me?

Yeah sometimes somebody here pissed me off... so many posts especially some issues that we shouldn't talk about cuz it's not good for the site. I concerned about it, but many of ppl here thought I'm nationalist, or racist. whatever you think about me I will let you think.

I take a look back... I'm kinda self-center... I don't want those member lost interested / fun / enjoy and leave the forum. So I think if I can't stand / patience / accept what the ppl here treated me how can I live in this world. What if I really don't like I will be the only one who will walk away.

Neung

For some reasons, I just miss Bobby .... again :cry:

Why because he's chilled out and just let things roll, if things got out of hand he'd have a nice quiet polite word in your ear without pissing anyone off?

and THATS how i think Mods should be.

Now you know why I've missed Bobby :oops:

hopefully Rob and the current Mod lineup will work it out.

I believe that every female member has right to post everything the same way as male members has. Most female members have different interest from you gents. So, what?s wrong with knitting?,

I?m feeling a bit itching because I was the one who post the word ?knitting? on the forum. If you?ve read the post, you will know that in fact, knitting wasn?t the topic.

i dont believe anyone was having a go at your forum or you. In this case, 'knitting' is more a euphemism for boring and predictable.

I know PeeMarc and I don't say anyone having a go at me.

BTW, I value your opinion and every one here. I'm adjusting to my new role. It might take sometime, but I will get there.

thankyou. One issue thats been missed in all this is the nature of the net and forums. Its random, chaotic, ebbing and flowing, often anarchistic, sometimes ugly and mostly very unpredictable. These are the things which MAKE forums fun, interesting and quite addictive.

Paradoxically, these are the SAME things which scare and worry some people. They feel compelled to try to control it, knock it into shape and apply a few 'simple rules'. And, the moment thats done is when forums die and become very predictable and boring, as we have witnessed.

Also, when people are treated like children, they often act like children. This is an adult site. Let the adults work it out, even if it gets ugly.

I say just let the forums BE what they naturally are. And if that worries some people then they can choose for themselves what to do. There are plenty of sensible people to balance things.

I would like to ask ALL mods to lighten up, put your damn cards away and have some fun. If you really feel you need to card or ban someone, then give fair warnings first (quietly) and then do it (quietly). But this should only be done as last resort.

Finally, realise that rules dont work here. Better to find ways to encourage the SPIRIT of fair play rather than hit people over the head with rules.

You know what I find amusing?

The guy who started this 'Wierd (sic) behaviour' thread is the cause of THREE of my yellow cards.

No Bob. You were the cause of your yellow cards.

But it's not that simple, Danny.

Was I to blame for insulting a TF member and breaking the 'Respect Rule'? Yes.

But was Funny Daniel Marco Boy to blame for posting an insulting forum such as 'What are Thai Women Worth?"? Of course.

And finally are the Mods to blame for allowing that forum to run, offending dozens of TF'ers?

Well, therein lies the problem.

In my opinion, that forum SHOULD be allowed to run. But the OP has to take the abuse that comes when you post something like that.

That forum had only one aim - to piss people off. If the Mods are going to moderate, then the trolls must be addressed before they write pages and pages of offensive crap.

I'm in favour of an 'Anything Goes' category, where the only taboo subjects are the ones that risk getting the site taken down. If someone wishes to antagonise people, then they must step into the ring and face the forum, without protection.

If they can't handle the uncensored nature, they can stick to the knitting forums.

What can I say, its just not always about Terms and Conditions, its about PEOPLE and their judgment :roll:

Oh well, never mind :lol:

That is stating the obvious, Cherie, but a good T and C is needed as well as getting everyone on steady ground with a clear enough objective (entertainment).

You know that T & C are always points of discussions, they can always been interpreted (or misintedrpreted) by both parties, in this case mods and TF-members. There are no rules are laws that can be considered complete, even not the national constitution. It has all to do with a little bit of common sense.

What can I say, its just not always about Terms and Conditions, its about PEOPLE and their judgment :roll:

That is stating the obvious, Cherie, but a good T and C is needed as well as getting everyone on steady ground with a clear enough objective (entertainment).

actually, what cherie said was perfect. **** the 'steady ground' and 'clear objective' talk. Let people BE people. Let them BE.

I value all your opinions and wait with baited breath... :D

dannyboy.

and what exactly r u fishing for ??? :D:D:D:D

Not a typo Ciaran, as far as I'm aware.

BATED and BAITED are now both acceptable...?

well i would have thought BATED was the correct term ... but what would i know ....

anyway .... it was meant as a joke response to Neo's post immediatley after urs ... as in fishing for compliments !!! never mind though .... back to the day job !!

actually, what cherie said was perfect. f*ck the 'steady ground' and 'clear objective' talk. Let people BE people. Let them BE.

IMHO, let people using the forum decide if a person should be yellowed carded, thumbs up or thumbs down (democracy) for inappropriate behavior.

Unfortunately, there are a few mean spirited people who intentionally want to personally offend others using in the gutter tactics.

actually, what cherie said was perfect. f*ck the 'steady ground' and 'clear objective' talk. Let people BE people. Let them BE.

IMHO, let people using the forum decide if a person should be yellowed carded, thumbs up or thumbs down (democracy) for inappropriate behavior.

Unfortunately, there are a few mean spirited people who intentionally want to personally offend others using in the gutter tactics.

that's NOT a good idea .... would be very easy for a "popular" TF member to encourage his/her friends to join in a witch hunt to get someone they don't like carded or banned.

IF we need moderation then i think using Mods (as we do now) is the best option. it ain't perfect (and some maybe a little too sensitive), but i do believe they do try their best and mostly try to be fair and impartial.

however, i do believe if somebody is being obviously stupid and a **** .... u should be allowed to point that fact out !! :D:D:D

I'm in favour of an 'Anything Goes' category, where the only taboo subjects are the ones that risk getting the site taken down. If someone wishes to antagonise people, then they must step into the ring and face the forum, without protection.

If they can't handle the uncensored nature, they can stick to the knitting forums.

A cool & very masculine claim indeed. But a closer look at TF reveals that it can never be an 'anything goes' forum as its focus is international and intercultural and therefore a certain level of respect and manners is needed essentially.

By the way, that shouldn't be to difficult for a grown-up target group. Those who feel unable to follow a minimum standard of interpersonal rules are free to found their own free-style forum somewhere else. Very soon they would notice how lonely it can be without the rest of the world, particularly without some of their preferred victims - newbies, non-native speakers and others that don't want to or can not fight/defend all of the time.

I can see a clear line between the forum and the journal part. The forums can be quite a rough place (to rough for many) and are in large part dominated by just a few english native speakers, while the journal part is a much more friendly area with a good mix of international thailandfriends - but technically limited in terms of communication. Would be great to see more journalers in forums, but this will not happen as long as some wanna-be outlaws hang around there.

You, Bob, and the 'usual suspects' benefit a lot from TF services and particularly from other members, but I don't see you being thankful. Instead you complain because some mods won't give you a kind of privileged Charter of Liberties that you think you'd deserve. That's detached!

I don't know if you or someone of the 'usual suspects' can speak somewhat fluently any other language than english. If so, take a look around and realize international standards of netiquette. E.g. in my country (Germany) no Thailand related forum would ever accept that massive aggression that happens at TF every day. Would like to know about the standard of aggression at pure Thai forums ...

P.S. I have to admit that sometimes I just laugh my ass off when reading postings from one of the worst 'usual suspects'. Anyway, genius and insanity need some restriction when hitting other people :wink:

xleer-h20.gif

That forum had only one aim - to piss people off. If the Mods are going to moderate, then the trolls must be addressed before they write pages and pages of offensive crap.

Exactly. And what's so bloody interesting about some guy who's life is so boring that all he has to offer is random attempts at pissing people off? Other forums don't tolerate that shite, and it would be pathetic if that was the best on offer here.

If you want it interesting... post something interesting!

Pissing people off ain't interesting!

... so many posts especially some issues that we shouldn't talk about cuz it's not good for the site. I concerned about it, but many of ppl here thought I'm nationalist, or racist.

"issues that we shouldn't talk about", "racist" ... hey, that sounds very interesting :-)

How comes that?

Apart from obviously dangerous statements that could cause trouble in terms of Lese Majeste etc, which issues do you mean?

Exactly. And what's so bloody interesting about some guy who's life is so boring that all he has to offer is random attempts at pissing people off? Other forums don't tolerate that shite, and it would be pathetic if that was the best on offer here.

Sometimes it is :lol:

Your right, best not take the piss out of the trolls and sex tourists, how did I ever not think that would be a good idea?

Your right, best not take the piss out of the trolls and sex tourists, how did I ever not think that would be a good idea?

Cos it perhaps wouldnt be a good idea? :roll:

P.S. I have to admit that sometimes I just laugh my a*s off when reading postings from one of the worst 'usual suspects'.

i suspect in most cases that is the intent of those 'usual suspects.'*

Anyway, genius and insanity need some restriction when hitting other people :wink:

this forum is quite blessed with insanity but don't strain yourself looking for genius!

agree in principle, although i doubt we'd agree on where the line should be.

tight standards need to be maintained in fora wherein information is exchanged. i've been on this forum for about a thousand years now, and when the standards of moderation are tightened it a) doesn't lead to many more people "crossing over" from the journals. journal writers are a different temperament from forum posters as far as i can tell and B) it creates a sterile environment with no drama and therefore nothing to tune in for. it's been tried. it failed miserably IMO.

it's also worth bearing in mind that if someone's feelings can be hurt by something a stranger says in an internet forum, they at the very least should take a cooling off period from forums, and quite possibly need counseling.

*PS (if i am included in that list of 'usual suspects' i want to be Benicio Del Toro's character).

Exactly. And what's so bloody interesting about some guy who's life is so boring that all he has to offer is random attempts at pissing people off?

i think it's a mistake to make generalizations about people's lives based on their posts in the TF forum.

when i want to post something 'interesting,' i find i'm better off going to forums where people share my interests. the only thing people on this forum have in common is the intersection between the west and thailand (which is too amorphous, generally, to be considered an interesting subject in its own right).

good luck turning the Jerry Springer SHow into Football Focus, let alone Hard Talk.

that depends entirely a) on who you piss off and B) why they're pissed off.

I said people :wink:

Pissing off trolls and sex tourists isn't all that interesting either, but it's good for a laugh. 8)