?? Just Friends ??

SweetieBabie

Can (straight) Man and Woman be JUST FRIENDS ?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Can (straight) Man and Woman be JUST FRIENDS ?

• Yes, but have to set up bounderies and rules apply
    • No, sexual tension / primal instint always get in the way
    • Absolutely. A man and a woman can be platonic friends.

Is purely no sexual relationship friendship between members of opposite sex possible ?

Can heterosexual male and female really be close friends and nothing else ?

What if you are a married man or non single male who would like a female friendship strictly platonic , how do you keeping good relationship with your spouse / partner ?

Can you be friends with your friend's boyfriend / girlfriend ?

Here is definitions of "Platonic Friends" Urban Dictionary has given us

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Platonic%20Friend

My personal believe is that it can be problematic in some situations, but i would like to hear your opinion / experiences.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say 'yes, it's possible' .. you don't need to "set boundaries"

The thing that might be more annoyign is if there is a physical attraction.

To put it crudely: it's easier to become good friends (and nothing more) with an ugly girl ...

On the other hand: sexual tention never meant "bad things" happen automatically .. that's just wishfull thinking of some men

i have some great females friends, some for more than 20yrs. More than half of my friends have always been female. I have never had any sexual thing with any of them, although a few have come close. I really dont see any problem with this.

In reality, with my closest female friends, we can talk about anything and everything in ways most guys cant or wont talk.

I think it healthy and all good

haven't voted because I don't think you need rules or boundaries.

I have a good few female friends who I am very close to but who have never thought of sexually - we have even cuddled up on the sofa when drunk, but have never felt the need for rules - we are friends, pure and simple!!

- we have even cuddled up on the sofa when drunk,

Actually Iain, you were drunk in the sofa cuddling, she was already back in her car :D

a) she cant drive

B) neither can she

c) she was too drunk to drive even if she could drive

d) we have done it on more than one occasion

ya awkward Belgian b*stard!!! :lol:

In reality, with my closest female friends, we can talk about anything and everything in ways most guys cant or wont talk.

Another good point,

ok i will say this in vice versa situation as male - female friends or female - male friends.

When a man seeks advice/conversation about anything and everything from female friend apart from his own partner, it could lead into something rather intimate than just friends, especially if there is some personal problem and he would rather discuss them with his friends than the partner. When he likes better of what he hear from his female friend, comfort and fondness can be developed.

disagree?

Is purely no sexual relationship friendship between members of opposite sex possible ?

Can you be friends with your friend's boyfriend / girlfriend ?

My personal believe is that it can be problematic in some situations, but i would like to hear your opinion / experiences.

Um, it is 2009 and not 1950 isn't it?!

Generally it is only problematic due to our own emotional insecurities and peoples immature perceptions of human interaction. Jealously is not exactly an enlightened emotion.

Most of my close dear friends around the world are probably female but I would rarely think of most of them in a sexual manner. A couple, one brazilian and one italian, I might one day seek more but a friendship is more than good enough for now.

Constructing your friendships primarily based on sexual parameters really limits the potential of ANY friendship and relationship. It is most likely a culturally & socio-economic specific query. In many places, only a few have a narrow minded world view that peoples friendships are restricted to their own gender.

It is only in countries, cultures & communities which are still obsessed with gender and sex in how they construct their social interactions - still unfortunatelya fair bit of the world - that a close friendship with the opposite gender can be complicated by conservative attitudes. Some may call this traditional standards but sexism, racism and prejudices are also sometimes 'protected' by some traditions.

We being human, it is not uncommon to end up having an attraction with a friend or more than a workmate. Just have a talk about it, decide if you want to get it on. Or don't talk and just get it on! :wink:

100% Yes, yes, yes.

Ive got alot of femaile friends, and always have had. Ofcourse ive tried to be friends with girls that i in reality wanted to get intimate with, but 99% is really just friends.

Some of my best friends through 20+ years are female, and they mean alot to me.

For me its always been important to both have female friends and male friends, i like the female view sometimes, and some things are just better discussed by girls than my mates.

Other things are just better to be discussed with males, but i like the two-sided world and the different subjects & views that are put on the table depending if you talk to a girl or a man.

But it seems to me, with the little experience ive got with thai's at the moment, that "just friends" are not that common ? they seriously doubt me bigtime if i say "just friends" - which i really find odd.

I would like to reprashe the question - as i dont think a man has a problem being friends and nothing more with a girl.

Maybe the problem is for the girl ? can a girl be friends with a man without her having any intentions of something more ?

If not, then im in trouble !!!

I would like to reprashe the question - as i dont think a man has a problem being friends and nothing more with a girl.

Maybe the problem is for the girl ? can a girl be friends with a man without her having any intentions of something more ?

If not, then im in trouble !!!

vice versa :wink:

My BF is a girl, but she is also my 1st GF... so we went through the whole sex thing and came out better friends than ever.

lol...

:roll:

I had to read this twice to get what you meant.

BF I assume means "Best Friend," and not "boyfriend," right?!!

Or did you guide your boyfriend through the whole sex change thing, thus you came out better friends than ever?!!

;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Can but there are rules and complications, at 1st boundaries need to be set as with all friendships... even same sex ones.

My BF is a girl, but she is also my 1st GF... so we went through the whole sex thing and came out better friends than ever.

Being friend with ex lovers.... risky.

It can get complicated.

It's difficult to bring a relationship back to its normal state after having been most intimate with someone...